Adjustable Cam Sprockets on 954- need your input - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-08-2012, 9:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Adjustable Cam Sprockets on 954- need your input

I have to have my valves adjusted because they are way too loose. I asked the shop that is doing the work if there was anything they could tweak while they were in there to give me a boost in performance. I told them I only have a slip on Yosh exhaust, stock air filter and I don't want to spend the money on a Power Commander. I also said that I didn't have a ton of money for race cams and major engine work. So, he suggested APE adjustable cam gears. He advised that by adjusting when the intake and exhaust valves open/close that you can get a performance enhancement and at only $60 bucks for the sprockets it was a very cheap upgrade. He also advised that valves that are on the loose end of their adjustment range can also provide a performance enhancement. The shop is a very reputable and has been in service for years. The owner has been working on and racing (drag strip) motorcycles for over 30 years so I am trusting he will take care of me. He advised the difference by doing these couple things will be like going from eating a really good hamburger to eating a really good steak.

He has asked me though to go online to CBR forums and get some suggestions on the best adjustments for how to set the gearing. Although I am sure he can make a good judgement call on how to set them, if any of you have gone through this and know they best settings, it could be the difference between a sirloin and filet.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 5:33 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Adjustable Cam Sprockets on 954- need your input

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle.tim View Post
I have to have my valves adjusted because they are way too loose. I asked the shop that is doing the work if there was anything they could tweak while they were in there to give me a boost in performance. I told them I only have a slip on Yosh exhaust, stock air filter and I don't want to spend the money on a Power Commander. I also said that I didn't have a ton of money for race cams and major engine work. So, he suggested APE adjustable cam gears. He advised that by adjusting when the intake and exhaust valves open/close that you can get a performance enhancement and at only $60 bucks for the sprockets it was a very cheap upgrade. He also advised that valves that are on the loose end of their adjustment range can also provide a performance enhancement. The shop is a very reputable and has been in service for years. The owner has been working on and racing (drag strip) motorcycles for over 30 years so I am trusting he will take care of me. He advised the difference by doing these couple things will be like going from eating a really good hamburger to eating a really good steak.

He has asked me though to go online to CBR forums and get some suggestions on the best adjustments for how to set the gearing. Although I am sure he can make a good judgement call on how to set them, if any of you have gone through this and know they best settings, it could be the difference between a sirloin and filet.

Thanks for any input.

Yes, the sprockets are fairly cheap. But how much does he charge for his labour to install them and dial in the cams? You don't generally get a really good steak at hamburger prices, and sometimes a really good burger is all you need ;-)
Have you considered lowering the gearing? A 15-tooth front sprocket is half the cost of the cam sprockets, takes just minutes to install, and makes a very noticeable difference in how the bike feels.
I don't see any advantage to setting the clearances loose other than giving you a longer interval before they require adjusting again.
I set mine tight so the valves open sooner, lift higher and close sooner - but as the valves get tight rather than loose in shimmed heads the trade off is that they need much more frequent adjustment. For that reason road bikes should generally be set to the loose end of the spectrum.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Bladeracer. I have a new chain and sprocket set up coming in the mail already. It will be 15 tooth front and 45 tooth rear.

As for cost of tuning, he is going to charge $470. That includes parts and labor. However, I am bringing him the bike with air box, radiator and headers removed. Also, this price is likely only to include setting the gears once and then buttoning the engine up. you can't go in a tweak the settings of the gears once you have the heads back on right? So the 470 would be a one time payment for valve adjust, install adjustable cam gears and give me the motorcycle back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 2:14 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Bladeracer. I have a new chain and sprocket set up coming in the mail already. It will be 15 tooth front and 45 tooth rear.

As for cost of tuning, he is going to charge $470. That includes parts and labor. However, I am bringing him the bike with air box, radiator and headers removed. Also, this price is likely only to include setting the gears once and then buttoning the engine up. you can't go in a tweak the settings of the gears once you have the heads back on right? So the 470 would be a one time payment for valve adjust, install adjustable cam gears and give me the motorcycle back.

You only need to set the cam sprockets once (gears mesh together, these are sprockets). If he is talking about dialing them in to make best power then that is very time consuming and requires a lot of dyno runs. I would assume he is just talking about dialing them in to the OEM specs in the manual. The bike only has one head and it doesn't come off for this procedure. It's only a matter of removing the valve cover, pressing the sprockets onto the cams while he has them out to do the shims, and reinstalling them. Then using dial gauges to position the cams so the valves open at the crank position specified.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

When I say "setting the gears" I mean putting them at the right degree to get the most benefit.

As for dialing them in over the course of multiple dyno runs...I don't think that is going to happen. He will likely set them at what he percieves to be most ideal and that's it. Unless you can get to them after everything is back together...which I don't think you can. Because he is going to set them only once that is why I was asking here if anyone had the ideal degrees to set them at.

I know the bike only has one head...I will NOT be removing that. When I said I was removing the "headers" I was referring to the exhaust headers. This is the second time someone has misstook what I was referring to. Am I calling them the wrong thing. I'm talking about the 4 pipes from the exhaust that fit into the engine.

Thank you again for your replies bladeracer. I wish I could just buy you a beer at at bar one day and pick your brain for how to best deal with all this.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
When I say "setting the gears" I mean putting them at the right degree to get the most benefit.

As for dialing them in over the course of multiple dyno runs...I don't think that is going to happen. He will likely set them at what he percieves to be most ideal and that's it. Unless you can get to them after everything is back together...which I don't think you can. Because he is going to set them only once that is why I was asking here if anyone had the ideal degrees to set them at.

I know the bike only has one head...I will NOT be removing that. When I said I was removing the "headers" I was referring to the exhaust headers. This is the second time someone has misstook what I was referring to. Am I calling them the wrong thing. I'm talking about the 4 pipes from the exhaust that fit into the engine.

Thank you again for your replies bladeracer. I wish I could just buy you a beer at at bar one day and pick your brain for how to best deal with all this.

The stock cam timing is all detailed in the OEM workshop manual and that is what I would expect him to want to dial them in at. It is certainly possible that adjusting them further _might_ be able to make another hp perhaps, but it's very time consuming as it requires trial and error and dyno time. Dialing the cams in is certainly not going to open up untapped power though.

Yes, the exhaust "headers" are correct, but why have you removed them?
I was referring to your statement "...once you have the heads back on..." - just a typo I guess :-)
But yes, you don't need to remove the headers or the radiator to do the valve clearances or dial in the cam timing. You only need to prop the tank up, remove the airbox and perhaps lower the radiator if you need access in through the front. On a road bike I would probably want to remove the entire front fairing for better access bbut it's probably not required.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page