RR-V '97 - Rattle when going over a bump?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-09-2012, 7:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

RR-V '97 - Rattle when going over a bump??

I seem to have a really annoying rattle when going over a bump and I can't work out where it's coming from. It sounds like it is front end or even under the tank. I thought it might be the front pads moving but the springs holding them in seem ok so don't think it's that. It sounds really metallic - like keys rattling. This may be a stupid idea but I wonder if it's the choke? If I open and close the choke quickly it has a really similar sound so I wonder if it could be this? Is this possible as the cable is not loose and the bike is running fine.

I need some suggestions please, as it's bugging me big time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 8:01 PM

Reputation Power: 9

Re: RR-V '97 - Rattle when going over a bump??

Hi, sounds like you may have foreign object in your tank, like a bolt someone dropped in by accident. Had same problem with mine, did my nut in! tuned out the bikes datatag had been chucked in there! Nightmare to get out coz they aint magnetic... just a thought, good luck.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-12-2012, 5:39 PM

Reputation Power: 9

i had a bad rattle and it was the tank and it was hitting the frame, it did it on deceleration when the engine braking i for got to re install the spacers from the front of the tank and the mirror bracket, also i lost those black rubber mounts that go betrween the tank and the frame, so i called dealer he was " i dont have a clue" so i took some old soft washers and put them between the fram and when i bolt the two bolts in the front of the tank i make sure i get them strait and bolt goes threw, and also i order new black spacers, they sit on the outside of the tanks rim, and after that it was gone, see if its doing that on your bike, worth a shot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-12-2012, 9:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

If its not on the forks like missing spacer or something, my guess is that its something in your tank/air box. My bet is that it is a loose velocity stack or something on your throtle boddies... sometime pulling the tank/airbox can pull one loose
post #5 of 7 Old 12-15-2012, 8:01 AM

Reputation Power: 34

I had this on an old CB for months before I figured out I'd left a disc lock under the tail.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 7:39 AM Thread Starter

Still haven't tracked down where my rattle is coming from, but I have a new theory. The rear brake calliper seems a bit loose so I wonder if this could be the problem and the pads are rattling? If you grab the calliper it moves - only a small amount but enough to make the pads move. Should this be the case? Is something worn or broken? Or is there meant to be some free play in it?

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions so far.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-16-2014, 1:20 PM

got an RRW with the same kind of noise over bumps, I have replaced all the bearings etc checked all the bolts and still have the rattle.

My next destination is fork rebuild......

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
rattle , rr-v

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page