Just bought a 929, specs of oil coming from exhaust before warmed up - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-13-2012, 6:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

Just bought a 929, specs of oil coming from exhaust before warmed up

Hey I just bought a 01 929 with 20k on the clock. The guy drove it to my house so when it got to me it was warm and it ran fine. The next morning it was probably 40 degrees outside and I started it up. White smoke was coming out of the exhaust, but I think it was more of a condensation vapor and not smoke. It did not smell and evaporated quickly. The white smoke went away after a minute or two when the bike warmed up, but while warming up when I put my hand behind the exhaust to smell the smoke I saw specs about the size of a pencil tip of oil splatter on my hand. Not a lot but enough to notice. This also gradually lessened until it was completely gone when the bike warmed up. Is this something I should be concerned about?

I am going to change the oil this weekend, along with coolant flush and brake fluid. If it matters the oil is over the seeing glass. My buddy says he thinks it should be halfway up the glass so it might be overfilled. Also my radiator is full of green coolant that looks normal, but the coolant expansion tank is bone dry from what I can see without a flashlight. The bike also has headers and exhaust if that matters.

01 929
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-13-2012, 7:18 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Just bought a 929, specs of oil coming from exhaust before warmed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by socci View Post
Hey I just bought a 01 929 with 20k on the clock. The guy drove it to my house so when it got to me it was warm and it ran fine. The next morning it was probably 40 degrees outside and I started it up. White smoke was coming out of the exhaust, but I think it was more of a condensation vapor and not smoke. It did not smell and evaporated quickly. The white smoke went away after a minute or two when the bike warmed up, but while warming up when I put my hand behind the exhaust to smell the smoke I saw specs about the size of a pencil tip of oil splatter on my hand. Not a lot but enough to notice. This also gradually lessened until it was completely gone when the bike warmed up. Is this something I should be concerned about?

I am going to change the oil this weekend, along with coolant flush and brake fluid. If it matters the oil is over the seeing glass. My buddy says he thinks it should be halfway up the glass so it might be overfilled. Also my radiator is full of green coolant that looks normal, but the coolant expansion tank is bone dry from what I can see without a flashlight. The bike also has headers and exhaust if that matters.

Are you sure it's not just moisture and carbon deposits?
The reservoir is only required if the engine runs hot enough to spit coolant out of the cooling system. If it concerns you then put some coolant in it.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 12 Old 12-13-2012, 7:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Are you sure it's not just moisture and carbon deposits?
The reservoir is only required if the engine runs hot enough to spit coolant out of the cooling system. If it concerns you then put some coolant in it.
Possibly, but the "oil spots" were liquid. Not saying the carbon deposits mixed with the moisture cant give that appearance, but it was unsettling to see the day after I bought the bike.

01 929
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-13-2012, 8:25 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by socci View Post
Possibly, but the "oil spots" were liquid. Not saying the carbon deposits mixed with the moisture cant give that appearance, but it was unsettling to see the day after I bought the bike.

Have a look at what comes out of the tail pipe of your car when you start it up cold.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 12 Old 12-13-2012, 8:39 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Doubt you have any real! Guess you could pull the plugs and inspect, or get a compression or leak down test, if the problem gets worse.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-13-2012, 8:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Have a look at what comes out of the tail pipe of your car when you start it up cold.
Lol I guess I will give that a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by drae150 View Post
Doubt you have any real! Guess you could pull the plugs and inspect, or get a compression or leak down test, if the problem gets worse.
True, I am in the process of replacing everything I can before spring so that makes sense.

01 929
post #7 of 12 Old 12-13-2012, 8:51 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Change the oil and get it to the proper level (between the hash marks in the window). Have someone else hold it level so you get an accurate reading. Check the air filter and vacuum system for signs of oil also

Then as BR said double check that the residue coming from the tailpipe is indeed oil and not just carbon water. They look similar, but different texture. G/L, Jay
post #8 of 12 Old 12-13-2012, 9:32 PM

Reputation Power: 55

Quote:
post #9 of 12 Old 12-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52brandon View Post

Not a particular fan of Eddie but that is a great movie :-)

post #10 of 12 Old 12-14-2012, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

You should see the wall behind my wifes 200k mile Volvo with leaking valve seals, still runs like a dream though
post #11 of 12 Old 12-14-2012, 2:41 PM

Reputation Power: 25

I wouldn't be too worried. Keep checking the oil level, other than that.. I really think it's condensation if it stops when warm.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-14-2012, 5:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Send a message via Yahoo to cbrosu

don't worry
my does the same thing, last time i start it it was 50 F outside . from what i understand if you have a oil/coolant burning issue it will blow smoke all the time no matter if warm or cold

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page