Down shifting issue into 1st gear. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 6:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Down shifting issue into 1st gear.

01 929, I am currently in the process of getting a new Speedometer so i have no Neutral Light. Proper oil level, proper clutch adjustment and even adjusted clutch to different settings to ensure it was not a clutch adjustment issue. Very hard "Clunk" going into 1st gear, and even when 2nd gear is engaged before accelerating seems like change is not very smooth. My major concern here is down shifting. Riding in 4th, light turns yellow, down shift to 3rd, but when i try to down shift into 2nd it seems as the shifter is going down but not engaging the gear. This is both with the clutch engaged or disengaged, it will not downshift into a lower gear. Obviously i have to stop for the light so now i'm in 3rd gear stopped at the light, still trying to get the bike to downshift and as i'm pressing the shifter down, its moving and the shaft is moving but its not changing or engaging the lower gears. Shutting the bike off and trying to rock back and forth doesn't work, so now i have to re-start the bike with the clutch engaged in 3rd gear. So as i pull away from the light, i can now shift down to second and even 1st sometimes. This issue occurs when the bike is cold/warm/hot. Walk outside, fire her up, pull in clutch, hard clunk into 1st and about 50-65% of the time, the shifter will still move as thou its not engaged into 1st( if that makes sense) even thou it is. Go back into neutral and then back into 1st and now the shifter is fully engaged into 1st and will not go down any further as it should normally be. Now i used 4th gear as the example but this problem occurs even in 6th exiting the freeway, i can down shift to 5th , maybe 4th....but seems live after that she just won't downshift and no matter what i try at this light, until i get the bike moving at about 5-10 mph she will not shift into a lower gear. Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 8:27 PM

Reputation Power: 59

Re: Down shifting issue into 1st gear.

Clunk into first is entirely normal.. both my bikes do it.

Are you trying to downshift through multiple gears without letting the clutch out? I know you said it wont go down with or with out the clutch, but just curious as to how fast you are trying to do this, or how even.

James Taylor
post #3 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 8:43 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoadi96 View Post
01 929, I am currently in the process of getting a new Speedometer so i have no Neutral Light. Proper oil level, proper clutch adjustment and even adjusted clutch to different settings to ensure it was not a clutch adjustment issue. Very hard "Clunk" going into 1st gear, and even when 2nd gear is engaged before accelerating seems like change is not very smooth. My major concern here is down shifting. Riding in 4th, light turns yellow, down shift to 3rd, but when i try to down shift into 2nd it seems as the shifter is going down but not engaging the gear. This is both with the clutch engaged or disengaged, it will not downshift into a lower gear. Obviously i have to stop for the light so now i'm in 3rd gear stopped at the light, still trying to get the bike to downshift and as i'm pressing the shifter down, its moving and the shaft is moving but its not changing or engaging the lower gears. Shutting the bike off and trying to rock back and forth doesn't work, so now i have to re-start the bike with the clutch engaged in 3rd gear. So as i pull away from the light, i can now shift down to second and even 1st sometimes. This issue occurs when the bike is cold/warm/hot. Walk outside, fire her up, pull in clutch, hard clunk into 1st and about 50-65% of the time, the shifter will still move as thou its not engaged into 1st( if that makes sense) even thou it is. Go back into neutral and then back into 1st and now the shifter is fully engaged into 1st and will not go down any further as it should normally be. Now i used 4th gear as the example but this problem occurs even in 6th exiting the freeway, i can down shift to 5th , maybe 4th....but seems live after that she just won't downshift and no matter what i try at this light, until i get the bike moving at about 5-10 mph she will not shift into a lower gear. Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?

You need to go through each gear one at a time, it's a linear transmission.
When stationary you need to rock the bike back and forth while pressing on the shift lever for the gears to drop into place.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

This is down shifting one gear at a time. On the freeway going from 80 to a dead stop. Down shift to 5th, then 4th, then 3rd....Then nothing. The shifter is going down and returning, but 2nd gear is not being engaged (not using the clutch to down shift at all until i have no choice but to stop at the light). Sometimes this happens and i can't get it into 3rd. Its doesn't appear to be gear specific and there is no problems shifting up. I've tried downshifting using the clutch and release technique, no clutch at all. This morning before i went out for a ride, i check the clutch adjustment and oil level. Before i started it up, i rocked the bike back and forth to get it into 1st. The bike went into gear but the shifter was not "engaged" as it should normally be and this is the same non-responsive feeling i get when trying to downshift at a red light. This leads me to believe it has nothing to do with the temp. Now if i start out and only shift up to 3rd before getting to another red light or stop sign, there's a 75/25 % chance it will shift down to 1st, but again the shifter is not "engaged", (Its almost like when the bike is not running in neutral, and your trying to put it into 1st but its not engaging). Now its in 1st, i can shift up to neutral then back to 1st and now the shifter feels engaged in the 1st gear. I don't think the clutch has anything to do with the problem as its not slipping, no other issues with acceleration or motor rev-ing, not trying to pull forward when clutch is engaged at a stop. SO i'm thinking its either the shift forks or worn shift drum grooves. I'm trying to see if there is anything else i'm possibly over looking before ordering parts, don't want to order parts not needed.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoadi96 View Post
This is down shifting one gear at a time. On the freeway going from 80 to a dead stop. Down shift to 5th, then 4th, then 3rd....Then nothing. The shifter is going down and returning, but 2nd gear is not being engaged (not using the clutch to down shift at all until i have no choice but to stop at the light). Sometimes this happens and i can't get it into 3rd. Its doesn't appear to be gear specific and there is no problems shifting up. I've tried downshifting using the clutch and release technique, no clutch at all. This morning before i went out for a ride, i check the clutch adjustment and oil level. Before i started it up, i rocked the bike back and forth to get it into 1st. The bike went into gear but the shifter was not "engaged" as it should normally be and this is the same non-responsive feeling i get when trying to downshift at a red light. This leads me to believe it has nothing to do with the temp. Now if i start out and only shift up to 3rd before getting to another red light or stop sign, there's a 75/25 % chance it will shift down to 1st, but again the shifter is not "engaged", (Its almost like when the bike is not running in neutral, and your trying to put it into 1st but its not engaging). Now its in 1st, i can shift up to neutral then back to 1st and now the shifter feels engaged in the 1st gear. I don't think the clutch has anything to do with the problem as its not slipping, no other issues with acceleration or motor rev-ing, not trying to pull forward when clutch is engaged at a stop. SO i'm thinking its either the shift forks or worn shift drum grooves. I'm trying to see if there is anything else i'm possibly over looking before ordering parts, don't want to order parts not needed.

Okay, that sounds more like a problem in the shift mechanism then, definately not clutch related as you don't need the clutch to change gears.
Which probably means pulling the clutch cover to inspect the shift pawl and detent, overshift limiter and shift shaft. Maybe something has come loose.
Or it could be a bent fork which will also require pulling the oil pan to get into those.
The shift lever is tight on the shaft? The spline is not damaged at all?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

made sure to check the shift lever to the shaft both shifting up and down, even cleaned and replaced to be sure there was dirt, grease, oil that would be causing this issue. Only reason i was thinking forks was it only happens in the lower gears, no problem shifting down from 6th-4th.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

And i don't believe its gear related as when its not jumping out of gears or having any problems with the gears grinding, just a non-responsive feeling when trying to reach 2nd and 1st even after killing the bike and trying to change gears rocking back and forth no change.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-29-2013, 9:59 AM

Reputation Power: 0

What did the problem end up being? I'm having the same issue with my '91 Nighthawk.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-23-2015, 12:50 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Did you find out what was the problem?

I just got exacly the same symptoms as Whoadi96 on my 02 954

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page