CBR 954 main and rod bearing help? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 12-19-2012, 2:33 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-16-2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16
             
CBR 954 main and rod bearing help?

I can't find any measurements for the main bearings anywhere but heard that the differences are minimal between different colours. My main bearings are 3 red bearings and 2 yellow bearings and thats what the crank and case says but they where badly worn so have to replace them and going to aim at 0.035 oil clearence in the main bearings so could i just put 3 white bearings and 2 pink bearings to get the little more clearence or will there be to much clearence whit 1 size thinner bearings? Will plastigauge them but wouldn't whant to order them all and find out theres to much clearence or order original colors and see there closer to 0.017 then 0.035. They cost allmost 20 euros a shell here at the dealer so i will order from bikebandit or some other webshop to get them little cheaper. Can anybody give some advice or now how how much difference is the from color to the next?

Last edited by mika_u; 12-19-2012 at 11:05 AM.
mika_u is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 42 Old 12-19-2012, 6:35 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: CBR 954 main and rod bearing help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mika_u View Post
I can't find any measurements for the main bearings anywhere but heard that the differences are minimal between different colours. My main bearings are 3 red bearings and 2 yellow bearings and thats what the crank and case says but they where badly worn so have to replace them and going to aim at 0.035 oil clearence in the main bearings so could i just put 3 grey bearings and 2 pink bearings to get the little more clearence or will there be to much clearence whit 1 size thinner bearings? Will plastigauge them but wouldn't whant to order them all and find out theres to much clearence or order original colors and see there closer to 0.017 then 0.035. They cost allmost 20 euros a shell here at the dealer so i will order from bikebandit or some other webshop to get them little cheaper. Can anybody give some advice or now how how much difference is the from color to the next?

The shells vary ID and OD by 0.006mm increments.
Attached Thumbnails
929-954_Mains.JPG‎  

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #3 of 42 Old 12-19-2012, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-16-2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16
             
Re: CBR 954 main and rod bearing help?

  • I've been searhing for those od. measurements and could find them anywhere! Where are these from and why doesn't it have number 0 in the od. codes like the service manual? And i looked the bikebandit and it doesn't have white bearing which the service manual says is the thinnest one? Is one half 0.006 bigger or both halfs meaning does bigger bearing color reduce oil clearence by 0.006 or 0.012? And do now any bearings thickness that i could calculate what bearings i need? They didn't even have the od. sizes at the official importer. Thank you Bladeracer a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !


edit. found the white bearing (G) from ronayers.com fiche! I would assume that number 0 od. would be 34.006-34.012.

Last edited by mika_u; 12-19-2012 at 12:17 PM.
mika_u is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 42 Old 12-20-2012, 3:01 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-16-2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16
             
Re: CBR 954 main and rod bearing help?

Anybody have opinnion on my last comment?
mika_u is offline  
post #5 of 42 Old 12-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: CBR 954 main and rod bearing help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mika_u View Post
  • I've been searhing for those od. measurements and could find them anywhere! Where are these from and why doesn't it have number 0 in the od. codes like the service manual? And i looked the bikebandit and it doesn't have white bearing which the service manual says is the thinnest one? Is one half 0.006 bigger or both halfs meaning does bigger bearing color reduce oil clearence by 0.006 or 0.012? And do now any bearings thickness that i could calculate what bearings i need? They didn't even have the od. sizes at the official importer. Thank you Bladeracer a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !


edit. found the white bearing (G) from ronayers.com fiche! I would assume that number 0 od. would be 34.006-34.012.

OEM 929 manual.
The dimensions are of the complete bearing when torqued to spec, so a 0.006mm larger ID bearing will have 0.003mm more clearance on each side of the journal.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #6 of 42 Old 12-21-2012, 2:14 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-16-2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16
             
Re: CBR 954 main and rod bearing help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
OEM 929 manual.
The dimensions are of the complete bearing when torqued to spec, so a 0.006mm larger ID bearing will have 0.003mm more clearance on each side of the journal.
The 929 manual actually crossed my mind . My manual for the 954 is downloaded from somewhere but i think it should be the oem manual. And i have the book from Haynes and it doesn't allso have measurements for the main bearings. Just the crankpins for the rods. If i order the bearings from Ronayers.com which ones are the correct rod bearings 13218-MCJ-003 or 13214-MCJ-751? Thank you a lot!

Last edited by mika_u; 12-21-2012 at 2:26 AM.
mika_u is offline  
post #7 of 42 Old 12-25-2012, 7:39 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-16-2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16
             
Re: CBR 954 main and rod bearing help?

13214-MCJ-751! Or thats what the dealer said. Does any body have new main and rod bearing? And could measure the thickness of them for me?
mika_u is offline  
post #8 of 42 Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 PM
 
Join Date: 02-12-2013
Location: canada
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: CBR 954 main and rod bearing help?

an old racer told me about this stuff...he's a machinist a mechanic a welder ..he's a genius really he built a 4 cylinder out of 2 twins and won the 600 cc world series with his home made cat engine ..any take a look at this stuff it will solve alot of the no oversized bearings problems we are having..good for a worn case too due to a spun bearing deckwartaperedshims.com
spark23ca is offline  
post #9 of 42 Old 02-22-2013, 3:12 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: CBR 954 main and rod bearing help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark23ca View Post
an old racer told me about this stuff...he's a machinist a mechanic a welder ..he's a genius really he built a 4 cylinder out of 2 twins and won the 600 cc world series with his home made cat engine ..any take a look at this stuff it will solve alot of the no oversized bearings problems we are having..good for a worn case too due to a spun bearing deckwartaperedshims.com
Interesting but I don't know if I'd want to try them in a motorcycle engine. We run very fine oil clearances compared to old American engine designs.
What "world series" allows home made engines?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #10 of 42 Old 02-22-2013, 4:05 AM
 
Join Date: 02-12-2013
Location: canada
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: CBR 954 main and rod bearing help?

prostock open mod 600..i was one of the mechanics...just pretty much a grease monkey wrench turner..i don't really know what world series they would come back and say we won thats about it .i never went on the trips my buddie who we called the doctor always went to fine tune...it was snowmobile racing but he also had people bring their bikes from all over to have him tune on them ..he could even fix the grooves in a gun..the 600 that he built won..there was 700 class too and 1000 ....
it comes in 12 Sheets (one thickness) per box
—or—
12 Sheets (assorted) consisting of:
2 - .001”
5 - .002”
3 - .003”
1 - .004”
1 - .005”
so with that small of increments should be able to get the oil clearence desired...it would be just like measuring the side wall on tires tho. 5 would really equal 10 cause it would be on both sides of the circle
spark23ca is offline  
post #11 of 42 Old 02-22-2013, 4:08 AM
 
Join Date: 02-12-2013
Location: canada
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: CBR 954 main and rod bearing help?

and if it was say ..an arctic cat sled ..as long as you used arctic cat stuff you could build and machine and weld any engines together you wanted..
spark23ca is offline  
post #12 of 42 Old 02-22-2013, 4:09 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: CBR 954 main and rod bearing help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark23ca View Post
prostock open mod 600..i was one of the mechanics...just pretty much a grease monkey wrench turner..i don't really know what world series they would come back and say we won thats about it .i never went on the trips my buddie who we called the doctor always went to fine tune...it was snowmobile racing but he also had people bring their bikes from all over to have him tune on them ..he could even fix the grooves in a gun..the 600 that he built won..there was 700 class too and 1000 ....
it comes in 12 Sheets (one thickness) per box
—or—
12 Sheets (assorted) consisting of:
2 - .001”
5 - .002”
3 - .003”
1 - .004”
1 - .005”
so with that small of increments should be able to get the oil clearence desired...it would be just like measuring the side wall on tires tho. 5 would really equal 10 cause it would be on both sides of the circle

Do you mean drag racing?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #13 of 42 Old 02-22-2013, 4:55 AM
 
Join Date: 02-12-2013
Location: canada
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: CBR 954 main and rod bearing help?

1/4 and 1/8 mile snowmobile ice race
spark23ca is offline  
post #14 of 42 Old 02-22-2013, 5:55 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: CBR 954 main and rod bearing help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark23ca View Post
1/4 and 1/8 mile snowmobile ice race

So not of a whole lot of mileage on them then :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #15 of 42 Old 02-22-2013, 5:58 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: CBR 954 main and rod bearing help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark23ca View Post
and if it was say ..an arctic cat sled ..as long as you used arctic cat stuff you could build and machine and weld any engines together you wanted..

Sounds like a "world" series that only includes countries with plentiful ice, or a fairly short series? Was Australia part of it?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help - Main Bearing Replacement / Engine Swap? Hicksi Honda CBR400RR 11 01-25-2012 8:45 PM
Main and conrod bearing clearances ?? SC28 Phat Phreddy Honda FireBlade 7 10-20-2009 9:39 PM
Oversize main and big end bearing journals Phat Phreddy Honda FireBlade 57 10-06-2009 2:55 AM
954 main drive bearing going bad? Help! jesse954 Honda FireBlade 5 08-21-2009 1:45 AM
929 MAIN BEARING polaris6500 Honda FireBlade 1 08-04-2009 3:58 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome