K&N - worth it? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-23-2012, 1:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 34

K&N - worth it?

My RRW has a K&N on, plus stock header and quite tightly baffled Leo Vince slip on. In principle I like the idea of a washable, re-usable air filter, but what I really want is a bike that runs as smoothly, and economically as possible. I don't feel like mine is quite right at lower revs (below 4k) which is where I'm stuck at on my urban commute. Could be as simple as cleaning and checking carbs over (I took a swift look, one was immaculate so left the rest alone as it was getting dark) and a rebalance, but will it ever be as nice on the K&N as it would be stock, without pissing about rejetting?

On my quick check the jets were original, 124 mains and I forget the pilot size. I don't need the hassle of rejetting and IDGAS about getting the last half horsepower out of it, or to be honest even if it gave 5 at the expense or low range manners I wouldn't want it. Will fitting a stock filter make it run nicer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-23-2012, 1:42 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: K&N - worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorti View Post
My RRW has a K&N on, plus stock header and quite tightly baffled Leo Vince slip on. In principle I like the idea of a washable, re-usable air filter, but what I really want is a bike that runs as smoothly, and economically as possible. I don't feel like mine is quite right at lower revs (below 4k) which is where I'm stuck at on my urban commute. Could be as simple as cleaning and checking carbs over (I took a swift look, one was immaculate so left the rest alone as it was getting dark) and a rebalance, but will it ever be as nice on the K&N as it would be stock, without pissing about rejetting?

On my quick check the jets were original, 124 mains and I forget the pilot size. I don't need the hassle of rejetting and IDGAS about getting the last half horsepower out of it, or to be honest even if it gave 5 at the expense or low range manners I wouldn't want it. Will fitting a stock filter make it run nicer?

I would stick with OEM filters, but I would also use a lower gear to get your revs up.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 17 Old 12-23-2012, 5:49 PM

Reputation Power: 55

simple answer: no
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 12-23-2012, 6:03 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I use a BMC but that is just because i got it cheaper than oem, the price you pay for a k&n or bmc is not worth it in my opinion. Like blade racer said that money is worth more on the drive train(ie sprockets and chain).
post #5 of 17 Old 12-23-2012, 9:29 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMFM22 View Post
I use a BMC but that is just because i got it cheaper than oem, the price you pay for a k&n or bmc is not worth it in my opinion. Like blade racer said that money is worth more on the drive train(ie sprockets and chain).

Actually, I was just advising him to stop trying to ride the bike under 4000rpm, that's what they make cruisers for, not sportsbikes ;-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 17 Old 12-23-2012, 11:31 PM

Reputation Power: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I would stick with OEM filters, but I would also use a lower gear to get your revs up.

That is the biggest thing.. If you feel the bike lugging, then you ride in a lower gear. I dont see an air filter making a big difference there.

James Taylor
post #7 of 17 Old 12-24-2012, 8:38 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 34

Turn out 124 means its already been jetted up forthe filter and pipe. I thought it was stock but stock was 120. Could even be the baffle in the pipe is too tight causing it to run rich.

I'll give the carbs a strip and clean up "soon" and see what I find. Could be the idle screws are way out, If it's also been fitted with adjustable needles could be they're set wrong.

It's at its worst in town in first and second about 3-5k. Don't have much room to shift down as there's a lot of 30km/h zones.

If I can't get it working right easily therell be a k&n and 124 jets for sale or p/x on stock parts. Post to from Spain though. Don't hassle me by pm just yet, if it gets there I'll update here and post in for sale.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-28-2012, 11:27 AM

Reputation Power: 10

I bought a bike used last year and it had a k&n filter installed . I didnt know abiout it. The seller never told me. He said everything was stock except for the pipe. When i went to do a little maintenance on the bike I ordered a new filter just incase. Figured I would have it in the future if i needed it. When i took the airbox off and saw the k&n was dirty i put the oem filter on while i cleaned the k&n. Noticed a difference. After cleaning the k&n and reinstalling it i noticed a huge difference in throttle response, not power .
post #9 of 17 Old 12-28-2012, 11:43 AM

Reputation Power: 18

I do not trust the oiled gauze (or foam) filters to keep the dirt & dust out. They just don't filter as well, and there is no power advantage on the street.

The ONLY time I would even consider using one is on a dedicated track or race bike, and even then I'd be hesitant.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-28-2012, 12:19 PM

I don't know. They've been around a while so they must be doing something right. When you oil , it shouldn't be a wet oiling to where it attracts dirt. I just loved the difference it made in throttle response. I've never heard of engine damage cause of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTraffic View Post
I do not trust the oiled gauze (or foam) filters to keep the dirt & dust out. They just don't filter as well, and there is no power advantage on the street.

The ONLY time I would even consider using one is on a dedicated track or race bike, and even then I'd be hesitant.
post #11 of 17 Old 12-28-2012, 1:23 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchristanis View Post
I don't know. They've been around a while so they must be doing something right. When you oil , it shouldn't be a wet oiling to where it attracts dirt. I just loved the difference it made in throttle response. I've never heard of engine damage cause of them.
Yes, their marketing is great.

The kind of damage from less-than-great air filtering would not be outright engine failure. It would be increased wear & possible scoring on cylinder walls & rings, and also increased bearing wear. You'd have to do an engine tear-down and inspection to find it. An oil analysis would give some clues with elevated Silicon readings (dirt), and elevated wear materials after some damage has occurred.
These are things you must actively look for to notice vs. something like the engine throwing a rod through the case.
post #12 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 7:22 AM

Reputation Power: 12

K&N = low maintenance almost fool proof filtering, not the best filtering.

Will it cause damage to the engine? Probably not, but they have been known to disagree with some MAP sensors.

Will you be getting the maximum air flow? Simply put, No.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 7:32 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:

They're great for US car engines designed in the 60's, their bike and modern car stuff is simply following on that reputation, without actually offering any improvements over the much more highly developed OEM filtering systems used on these engines. Stick with OEM.

post #14 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 11:41 AM

Wow. Some K&N haters here. So, maybe the better throttle response is from "less filtering"?
post #15 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Wow. Some K&N haters here. So, maybe the better throttle response is from "less filtering"?

"Better throttle response" is a subjective statement that is difficult to measure or prove simply by riding the bike.
Lots of people think their bikes are faster when they put a muffler on, but really they just sound faster :-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page