new cbr 929 need your help please! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-30-2012, 5:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

new cbr 929 need your help please!

hello there! im from greece and have been riding a hornet (my first bike ever never ridden any bike before that) for almost a year now never had any major issues im a VERY VERY carefull driver i have jackets helemts gloves boots all the riding gear needed, just 1 small bump in which an "old" guy hit me in which i just changed a turning flash and a mirror! thinking of upgrading since i am going to change tyres + chain/sprockets (which will cost me about 400 dollars) i found a honda cbr 929 in a very nice colour and ONLY 2600 us dollars (i see people selling nice bikes/cars cause they cant afford to keep them due to the economic crisis in greece! the bike also has new(ish) tyres and good sprockets/chain) and it has about 15k miles on the clock! i also have posted a pic of this bike! so any thoughts as to what i MUST look at in low mileage cbrs? i have the money for the bike but at the moment i DO NOT have any extra money to spend on it (in time i will) but till then i need it to do my commuting (i love commuting on big bikes + the mpg is the same as a hornet maybe a bit less i checked out on forums sites etc). I dont want a fireblade which will cost me $$. WHat do i need to look out for except of the tyres and things that i can see (what do i ask my mechanic to look for specifically when checking the bike out!) thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
3170275_0_n.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-30-2012, 6:43 AM Thread Starter

Re: new cbr 929 need your help please!

p.s. It has some kind of after-market exhaust (which is a turn-off for me i prefer factory bikes ) mivv i think but he will give me the original one as well so i will fit that on!
post #3 of 13 Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 AM

Im no expert but i think at 15k miles its time to service the valves?

That is a beautiful bike and if it ran smooth, shifted smooth i would buy it today.

Everything i have read about the 900s and peoples reviews all point to them being solid bikes without any major problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-30-2012, 6:33 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roufaw View Post
hello there! im from greece and have been riding a hornet (my first bike ever never ridden any bike before that) for almost a year now never had any major issues im a VERY VERY carefull driver i have jackets helemts gloves boots all the riding gear needed, just 1 small bump in which an "old" guy hit me in which i just changed a turning flash and a mirror! thinking of upgrading since i am going to change tyres + chain/sprockets (which will cost me about 400 dollars) i found a honda cbr 929 in a very nice colour and ONLY 2600 us dollars (i see people selling nice bikes/cars cause they cant afford to keep them due to the economic crisis in greece! the bike also has new(ish) tyres and good sprockets/chain) and it has about 15k miles on the clock! i also have posted a pic of this bike! so any thoughts as to what i MUST look at in low mileage cbrs? i have the money for the bike but at the moment i DO NOT have any extra money to spend on it (in time i will) but till then i need it to do my commuting (i love commuting on big bikes + the mpg is the same as a hornet maybe a bit less i checked out on forums sites etc). I dont want a fireblade which will cost me $$. WHat do i need to look out for except of the tyres and things that i can see (what do i ask my mechanic to look for specifically when checking the bike out!) thanks in advance!

Being Honda the first thing to check is the charging system.

Being a 929/954, common problems:
Servo motor failure.
Damaged crankcase on LHS behind stator cover.
Broken mounts on headlight and instrument cluster.

Being a low-mileage, twelve-year-old bike:
Fork and shock seal leakage and chrome pitting.
Corrosion to caliper pistons and brake systems.
Corrosion in fuel system.

Test ride it to ensure it shifts smoothly through all gears, up and down, under various conditions.

If you buy it, bring all the maintenance up to date and you should have years of trouble-free service out of it.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 13 Old 12-30-2012, 6:33 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
p.s. It has some kind of after-market exhaust (which is a turn-off for me i prefer factory bikes ) mivv i think but he will give me the original one as well so i will fit that on!

Looks like OEM exhaust with an aftermarket muffler.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 13 Old 12-30-2012, 7:55 PM Thread Starter

from ur past posts i read and from other sites what i understand about this is i am gonna get the server code 35 anyway since there is an after-market exhaust and the way this is gonna leave is by HTEV valve fully open and you remove airbox falpper. Plug in old servo and you are all good (which i found on another post)! so my question is WHAt happens if i leave the error 35 is there anything bad that would/could happen to my bike? also
"Being a low-mileage, twelve-year-old bike:
Corrosion in fuel system."

can all of these be checked my a mechanic relatively fast or all of these things need time?
post #7 of 13 Old 12-30-2012, 8:49 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
from ur past posts i read and from other sites what i understand about this is i am gonna get the server code 35 anyway since there is an after-market exhaust and the way this is gonna leave is by HTEV valve fully open and you remove airbox falpper. Plug in old servo and you are all good (which i found on another post)! so my question is WHAt happens if i leave the error 35 is there anything bad that would/could happen to my bike? also
"Being a low-mileage, twelve-year-old bike:
Corrosion in fuel system."

can all of these be checked my a mechanic relatively fast or all of these things need time?

It is not an aftermarket exhaust though, only the muffler appears to be aftermarket. The HTEV should be intact so you shouldn't have any MIL warning. If you remove the servo motor, as long as the HTEV is set to one of its three positions and the airbox flapper is held open the MIL will have zero effect on the bike.
All of those points are very simple checks.

post #8 of 13 Old 12-31-2012, 4:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
It is not an aftermarket exhaust though, only the muffler appears to be aftermarket. The HTEV should be intact so you shouldn't have any MIL warning. If you remove the servo motor, as long as the HTEV is set to one of its three positions and the airbox flapper is held open the MIL will have zero effect on the bike.
All of those points are very simple checks.
ok thanks m8! one last question is there any pic or description of how a trouble free 929 looks like on the monitor?

found this very helpfull , but the thing is i know only basic stuff... and no fuel injection... i dont know how this stuff works! i just need to know what i should see on that monitor and what i shouldnt see! i know i shouldnt see any blinking of that "red" indidicator on the monitor, maybe i should not see anything at all? thanks
post #9 of 13 Old 12-31-2012, 4:39 AM Thread Starter

so not even one MIL warning... just the MiL (red fi indicator) on constantly or the warning doesnt switch on AT ALL?
post #10 of 13 Old 12-31-2012, 4:39 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
ok thanks m8! one last question is there any pic or description of how a trouble free 929 looks like on the monitor?

Reading Fuel Injection Error codes on a VFR800 - YouTube found this very helpfull , but the thing is i know only basic stuff... and no fuel injection... i dont know how this stuff works! i just need to know what i should see on that monitor and what i shouldnt see! i know i shouldnt see any blinking of that "red" indidicator on the monitor, maybe i should not see anything at all? thanks

Get yourself a workshop manual, I'd suggest the Haynes would be a good choice.
By "monitor" do you mean the dash? If there are no malfunctions within the injection system then there will be no flashing MIL on the dash.

post #11 of 13 Old 12-31-2012, 4:42 AM Thread Starter

great thats what i wanted to know so no mil indication on the dash is what im looking for! as for that manual i will get it first thing today (order it). I think i need to start fixing simple things myself rather than rely on mechanics! again thanks alot for the help!
post #12 of 13 Old 12-31-2012, 4:47 AM Thread Starter

p.s. u mean the mil indicator just on but NOT flashing right (but it will be still on just not flashing)? because thats what i saw on the VIDEO just a mil indicator being red without flashing!
post #13 of 13 Old 12-31-2012, 8:57 PM

Hi guys,

While riding my 929 yesterday morning leaving the house, my speedometer stopped functioning...it was 0kmh and the EFI light came on...after 1km, the speedometer ran normally once again. The EFI light was still on until i arrived my destination (about 12km away). I switched off the engine...and turned it back on and the EFI light is gone and back to normal.

What's the case here? Need some insight...thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page