Are these stock headers? Need to confirm - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-09-2013, 5:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

Are these stock headers? Need to confirm

The kid who sold me the bike told me it had full aftermarket exhaust from headers back. I believed him, I did not know any better until I went to change my oil filter and found it to be pretty easy compared to what people say about having no space. I looked at a bunch of pics and it seems the headers are stock. I do not care that much, but its kind of a disappointment. The exhaust has the little HTEV motor or whatever it is also on it too.

01 929
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-09-2013, 8:26 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Are these stock headers? Need to confirm

Quote:
Originally Posted by socci View Post
The kid who sold me the bike told me it had full aftermarket exhaust from headers back. I believed him, I did not know any better until I went to change my oil filter and found it to be pretty easy compared to what people say about having no space. I looked at a bunch of pics and it seems the headers are stock. I do not care that much, but its kind of a disappointment. The exhaust has the little HTEV motor or whatever it is also on it too.

Yep, OEM headers.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 17 Old 01-09-2013, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

What a bastard. I appreciate the help with these newb questions blade.

01 929
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-10-2013, 1:25 AM

Reputation Power: 23

yep stock headers

That sucks. Reminds me of when I bought my first bike (87 VFR 700) the guy said it was all souped up because it had two front brake rotors, white rims, and he said the bike had a full exhaust too....

Nope, it was all stock except the 80s aftermarket can...
post #5 of 17 Old 01-10-2013, 3:44 AM Thread Starter

Yea defiantly. To make matters worse the guy told me it had an aftermarket throttle body and injectors. I just figured he had a 954 body on there or something especially because he gave me an extra throttle body with the injectors and fuel rail that are in great condition with some other spare parts. As far as I can tell its a stock 929 TB. The last few pn digits are different from each other, but the first few on both belong to a 929 and not 954 if that makes any sense.

01 929
post #6 of 17 Old 01-10-2013, 6:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

Whats wrong with the original headers!!??? They are equal length stainless items, as far as I know you cant get much better.......
post #7 of 17 Old 01-10-2013, 6:13 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdugen View Post
Whats wrong with the original headers!!??? They are equal length stainless items, as far as I know you cant get much better.......

Titanium actually, but certainly a good race header would be better.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #8 of 17 Old 01-10-2013, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Titanium actually, but certainly a good race header would be better.
That's funny, I think it's still on Micron's site... their serpent headers (you know the ones that look like cobra heads) they say their headers are the only proven full exhaust to actually improve HP/tq on the 929/954... all other full exhaust kits only have hp increases because of the header back portion.... they say it's because of the "unique flat part that increases back pressure" IDK, I'd like to know if that's true.

post #9 of 17 Old 01-10-2013, 6:55 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCBR View Post
That's funny, I think it's still on Micron's site... their serpent headers (you know the ones that look like cobra heads) they say their headers are the only proven full exhaust to actually improve HP/tq on the 929/954... all other full exhaust kits only have hp increases because of the header back portion.... they say it's because of the "unique flat part that increases back pressure" IDK, I'd like to know if that's true.

Advertising bullshit.
Lots of good systems make more power than the stock headers.

post #10 of 17 Old 01-10-2013, 7:35 AM

ha ha I thought so, but then you get the people that actually fall for it, buy the pipes, and then claim it's true lol (as if they bought some of the aftermarket pipes to do a comparrison).
post #11 of 17 Old 07-11-2013, 1:20 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Ya stock headers... honda did 2 things to the 929 that were very different than any other bike... the full titanium exhaust, and the air box flapper valve. They had goo intentions but it ****in squeeze the power out of the bike thats why its got around 128hp stock when the r1 and the gzxr1000 of the same year had like 138-145hp. But the micron exhaust you mentioned (what i now have on my 929) actually IS the only one that not only increased the power but steadily too... on a DYNO it shows not one dip below stock, where others had many in the low-mid range. But luckily for us, the exhaust system isnt to pricey, it weighs half of the 22lb stock system... and coupled with a ram air system that eliminates that flapper valve on the airbox, the bike comes to life!! Mine dyno tested stock at 128ish then with. That micron system, ram air, and a PCIIIr (k&n or dynojet... both the same thing different label thats all) i then dyno tested 155hp.... i tried a few different exhaust set ups started with a yosh slip on... the akro full system and both of em caused the bike to dip below stock hp at a couple points.. then i researched it, found this out.. went for it.... and so im sharing it with you. Just my experience.. maybe yours will be different with other systems... good luck!
post #12 of 17 Old 07-11-2013, 4:16 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy1dRR929 View Post
Ya stock headers... honda did 2 things to the 929 that were very different than any other bike... the full titanium exhaust, and the air box flapper valve. They had goo intentions but it ****in squeeze the power out of the bike thats why its got around 128hp stock when the r1 and the gzxr1000 of the same year had like 138-145hp. But the micron exhaust you mentioned (what i now have on my 929) actually IS the only one that not only increased the power but steadily too... on a DYNO it shows not one dip below stock, where others had many in the low-mid range. But luckily for us, the exhaust system isnt to pricey, it weighs half of the 22lb stock system... and coupled with a ram air system that eliminates that flapper valve on the airbox, the bike comes to life!! Mine dyno tested stock at 128ish then with. That micron system, ram air, and a PCIIIr (k&n or dynojet... both the same thing different label thats all) i then dyno tested 155hp.... i tried a few different exhaust set ups started with a yosh slip on... the akro full system and both of em caused the bike to dip below stock hp at a couple points.. then i researched it, found this out.. went for it.... and so im sharing it with you. Just my experience.. maybe yours will be different with other systems... good luck!

I'd be interested in seeing your dyno graphs to see the comparisons.

The intake valve and titanium headers were not new in 2000, air intake valves have been used before by various manufacturers including Honda (I can't recall which would be the earliest but the '96 F3 is one), ti headers have been common on many sportsbikes since '98 - my '98 ZX6R for example has ti headers.
The intake/exhaust system has _nothing_ to do with the lack of power, the 929/954 was never designed for racing so the engine wasn't designed around power or revs like the track-oriented Suzuki's, Yamaha's and Kawasaki's. The engine was designed to make broad, usable power for road use, which it excels at in my opinion. And, the 929/954 loses 70cc/45cc to the competition - bore and/or stroke either of them up to 999cc and I doubt they'd lose anything power wise to the others - even keeping the stock intake/exhaust system.
If the low power output were due to the intake and exhaust system you would expect to see it jump from 125-ish to 145-ish just with removal of the HVIX system.
Removing the airbox flapper valve does _nothing_ to alter the peak output of the engine as it is open above 8000RPM anyway. I don't believe it does anything to alter the lower RPM output either.

post #13 of 17 Old 07-11-2013, 10:09 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Ya they were used by other manufacturers. I meant for honda, that was like a big jump for them with the fireblade. I can scan my dyno reports and post em cuz the pic i took doesnt come out clear enough to read. The reason the flapper valve made a difference (along with ak&n filter.. (what i was told anyway) was because the valve resticts air flow and doesnt ever FULLY open, i believe it opens the most after 7500rpm, but still chokes it up a bit. And the htev from what I understand does the same. Ill scan the dynos when i get back home tonight, but all this info i got from trial and error with my mechanic/friend he's a suzuki guy so he and I both had to do our research.
Also what do you mean the CBR 929 was never meant as a race bike? Read the reviews and tje history of the fireblade, ive never heard anyone say that... but i could be wrong, ive always seen critics talk about how the back changed the game... but everyone has their opinion...
post #14 of 17 Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ya they were used by other manufacturers. I meant for honda, that was like a big jump for them with the fireblade. I can scan my dyno reports and post em cuz the pic i took doesnt come out clear enough to read. The reason the flapper valve made a difference (along with ak&n filter.. (what i was told anyway) was because the valve resticts air flow and doesnt ever FULLY open, i believe it opens the most after 7500rpm, but still chokes it up a bit. And the htev from what I understand does the same. Ill scan the dynos when i get back home tonight, but all this info i got from trial and error with my mechanic/friend he's a suzuki guy so he and I both had to do our research.
Also what do you mean the CBR 929 was never meant as a race bike? Read the reviews and tje history of the fireblade, ive never heard anyone say that... but i could be wrong, ive always seen critics talk about how the back changed the game... but everyone has their opinion...

The exhaust valve opens just as "fully" as a straight-through system.
The 929 was designed and introduced when racebikes were still sub-750cc so there was no race class it could enter. In '03 it changed to the 801-999cc capacity which still meant the 929/954 couldn't compete due to the loss of capacity to the competition, hence the all-new 1000RR. The 929/954 had _no_ racing intention at all in its design.
The 929 made almost exactly the same output as the GSXR750 of the same year, so if they wanted to build it to compete with the litre-class bikes they could certainly have done so. Actually, I think I may have read somewhere that they specifically went for a non-race class 900cc capacity to prevent those direct comparisons with the competition, just as Kawasaki did with the 636.
I've never heard anything about the 929 or 954 "changing the game", although the 900RR certainly did back in '92, but again, not with any regard to racing at all.

post #15 of 17 Old 07-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:

The K&N filter is almost certainly costing you power, the OEM filter makes more power than any aftermarket filter I'm aware of.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page