turbos - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-10-2013, 7:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

turbos

i have an 01 929 and am thinking of doing a turbo on it, jus wondering if anyone has done one or knows anyone thats done one on the 929 and if so how did workout?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha_fireblade View Post
i have an 01 929 and am thinking of doing a turbo on it, jus wondering if anyone has done one or knows anyone thats done one on the 929 and if so how did workout?

I know at least two members here that turboed a 929 and a 954 - both blew up pretty quickly.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 12 Old 01-11-2013, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

who r they? do u know y? i wd only running maybe 6lb of boost at most from what i was told
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-11-2013, 4:13 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha_fireblade View Post
who r they? do u know y? i wd only running maybe 6lb of boost at most from what i was told

Not offhand but if you seach the forum you should find them easily.
One blew while it was being dynoed at 195hp from memory.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 12 Old 01-11-2013, 6:52 AM

Reputation Power: 113

These aren't the bikes for turbos. If you want to go that route, you're probably better looking at a gixxer.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-11-2013, 7:09 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post
These aren't the bikes for turbos. If you want to go that route, you're probably better looking at a gixxer.

You can turbo almost any engine, but once you start pushing the boost up it becomes critical to closely monitor and control combustion chamber temperatures.

post #7 of 12 Old 01-11-2013, 7:31 AM

Reputation Power: 113

Some are more suited to it than others though. You see a lot more turbo'd zooks for a reason.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

i will search and c what i can find.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-11-2013, 1:16 PM

Reputation Power: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
You can turbo almost any engine, but once you start pushing the boost up it becomes critical to closely monitor and control combustion chamber temperatures.
You're close BR. It's also highly dependent upon how much boost there is, what octane fuel and most importantly the compression.
I read somewhere (at least for cages) that if your CR is more than like 8.8:1, you need to lower it or you need to keep it under 4 lbs of boost.
Not sure how well it would work on bikes, but one way to lower the CR in a cage is to either put dished pistons and/or a thicker head gasket. Not sure a thicker head gasket on one of these bikes would be feasible given how tight their tolerances are otherwise.
BR, the one that blew on the dyno, do you remember what octane fuel they were running?
post #10 of 12 Old 01-11-2013, 5:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

You can boost a high compression engine just fine. Just gotta use stronger internals. The psi is important, but so is the size of the Turbo. 6psi on t25 is much different than 6psi from a t4. The most important thing is air fuel ratio. Flow enough fuel to match the increased air flow and you'll be fine. Basically.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportbike_Mike View Post
You're close BR. It's also highly dependent upon how much boost there is, what octane fuel and most importantly the compression.
I read somewhere (at least for cages) that if your CR is more than like 8.8:1, you need to lower it or you need to keep it under 4 lbs of boost.
Not sure how well it would work on bikes, but one way to lower the CR in a cage is to either put dished pistons and/or a thicker head gasket. Not sure a thicker head gasket on one of these bikes would be feasible given how tight their tolerances are otherwise.
BR, the one that blew on the dyno, do you remember what octane fuel they were running?

Compression ratios don't work like that. What matters is the dynamic compression ratio which is determined by volumetric efficiency, how well you can fill the cylinder on the intake stroke. If you have a poor breathing engine you might be able to run a 15:1 static ratio and not experience detonation at all simply because the cylinder is never completely filled. A really good breather might detonate at 12:1 or less.

The compression ratio at which detonation occurs is different depending on a lot of factors including piston area, cylinder capacity, RPM, combustion chamber temperature, and above all how the engine is used. In a huge V8 car engine the compression is going to have to be a lot lower than a 600cc inline-four motorcycle engine.

Yes, you can use spacer gaskets but they're not the best way to do it.
I personally don't like reducing static compression ratio as you lose the off-boost engine performance, I would prefer to keep the stock engine performance and use less boost. Ride the turbo and non-turbo GPZ750R for an example, off-boost compression ratio of 7.8 and 10.5 - an inline-four 750 at 7.8:1 makes for a very sedate ride, even my old KZ750L has 9.5:1 :-)

But if you're chasing big hp then you need more boost and you must reduce static compression ratio to allow that.

Nope, but I'm sure both were using good fuel. I think the one that went bang on the dyno was increasing boost chasing bigger numbers, a very easy trap to fall into. Lots of turboed engines last just fine simply because the owners keep the boost below safe limits.

post #12 of 12 Old 01-12-2013, 6:03 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Compression ratios don't work like that. What matters is the dynamic compression ratio which is determined by volumetric efficiency, how well you can fill the cylinder on the intake stroke.
Thats it. Power is always derived from displacement or how much pop you get out of the space. Bumping up the compression with longer rods, bigger piston heads, shorter decks, turbos, superchargers.. it's all relative and more of one means means less of another. Then its a matter of material strength and engine heat dissapating capabilites.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page