04 CBR 1000rr Charging Issue - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 3:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

04 CBR 1000rr Charging Issue

Now i know most of you are looking at the title and automatically assume stator but please read.

I have a 04 1kRR with 18k miles.
All within the past season i have replaced the battery, regulator/rectifier, stator and flywheel. However, during my last ride i made a quick pitstop and than bike would not start. Had my brother who drives a tow truck jump me off and than sat for awhile to make sure everything was ok. While sitting there i constantly held the bike at around 4k Rpms just to try and make it charge. After a minute my dash display went out and the bike died. Had him tow me home. Now i am at the limit off my knowledge of charging systems on bikes. I have replaced all the components of the charging system however **** is still not right. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what i should do next? Trying to do all of this on my own cant really afford a mechanic right now. So that is why i have come to the all knowing group of fireblades. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 11:30 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: 04 CBR 1000rr Charging Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalford32 View Post
Now i know most of you are looking at the title and automatically assume stator but please read.

I have a 04 1kRR with 18k miles.
All within the past season i have replaced the battery, regulator/rectifier, stator and flywheel. However, during my last ride i made a quick pitstop and than bike would not start. Had my brother who drives a tow truck jump me off and than sat for awhile to make sure everything was ok. While sitting there i constantly held the bike at around 4k Rpms just to try and make it charge. After a minute my dash display went out and the bike died. Had him tow me home. Now i am at the limit off my knowledge of charging systems on bikes. I have replaced all the components of the charging system however **** is still not right. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what i should do next? Trying to do all of this on my own cant really afford a mechanic right now. So that is why i have come to the all knowing group of fireblades. Thanks guys

Have you measured you voltage across the battery with the engine running to see if it is actually charging?
All the components you replaced where new or secondhand?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 6 Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Ok guys,

sorry it took me awhile to get back. Haven't had time to get back to my bike. Took it out of the garage today and measured several voltages here they are.

Voltage after start up : 12.4 volts
Voltage after warm up: 13.8 volts
Voltage while holding rpms at 5K for 15 secs: A steady drop to 11.6 before i stopped
Waited a little while after rev up : returned to a max of 12.2

All parts i mentioned in my original post are brand new
i appreciate all help that is given. I am stuck

Does anyone think that disconnecting the PCIII will make a difference. Only mods are a jardine slip on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-04-2013, 12:31 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalford32 View Post
Ok guys,

sorry it took me awhile to get back. Haven't had time to get back to my bike. Took it out of the garage today and measured several voltages here they are.

Voltage after start up : 12.4 volts
Voltage after warm up: 13.8 volts
Voltage while holding rpms at 5K for 15 secs: A steady drop to 11.6 before i stopped
Waited a little while after rev up : returned to a max of 12.2

All parts i mentioned in my original post are brand new
i appreciate all help that is given. I am stuck

Does anyone think that disconnecting the PCIII will make a difference. Only mods are a jardine slip on
I had same problem as you have now, but i took some rearch...
Some 04 05 CBR1000RR have problem with it, maybe some vin number will know.
The problem I solved which is install 06 07 model stator, flywheel,and regulator...06 07 flywheel will release engine heat better than 04 05 model.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-04-2013, 1:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hung View Post
I had same problem as you have now, but i took some rearch...
Some 04 05 CBR1000RR have problem with it, maybe some vin number will know.
The problem I solved which is install 06 07 model stator, flywheel,and regulator...06 07 flywheel will release engine heat better than 04 05 model.
Yeah i have already done that. I found a burnt out wire coming from the new regulator so sent it out under warranty get a new one soon. Tried to plug in my stock one was idling at 14.2 volts. Just a little too much
post #6 of 6 Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 PM

Reputation Power: 113

14.2 volts is fine. If it goes over 14.8 at any point I'd be worried though.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page