Please please please help cbr rrw cuts out at 6000 rpm - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 2:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Please please please help cbr rrw cuts out at 6000 rpm

My bike runs fine in every gear but it cuts out at 6000 rpm I have had new plugs, air filter checked , carbs cleaned and leads checked the bike shop I use thought it was the carbs but after cleaning this week the problem is still there .now they are saying It is going to need a new wiring loom ?????? Have any of you had similar probs and does replacing the wiring loom so like the best route to take
Any advice will greatly received as the bike is in the shop and need advice ASAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 6:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

Re: Please please please help cbr rrw cuts out at 6000 rpm

OK, informations a bit thin, but:
RRX does not use a fuel pump, so not that. Fuel starvation would give you full revs that would then drop with a 'coughing' engine sound, so, probably not blocked fuel filter or blocked breather (but still worth checking).
If, as your eplanation makes it sound, the engine cuts dead at 6K RPM, then one of two things, ignition pickup coil or, more epensive, the ECU.
Eliminate all cut out switches first, sidestand, clutch and killswitch. Unlikely with the symtoms you describe but a logical faut elimination route to take.
The beauty of these early 'blades is that they are so electrically simple as there are no sensors etc. to go chasing. Finally, unless your loom has been cut up in the past, I doubt very much that it will have any bearing on the problem..... But we can all be wrong!
post #3 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 8:01 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbshaw View Post
My bike runs fine in every gear but it cuts out at 6000 rpm I have had new plugs, air filter checked , carbs cleaned and leads checked the bike shop I use thought it was the carbs but after cleaning this week the problem is still there .now they are saying It is going to need a new wiring loom ?????? Have any of you had similar probs and does replacing the wiring loom so like the best route to take
Any advice will greatly received as the bike is in the shop and need advice ASAP

What does "cuts out" mean exactly?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-18-2013, 6:34 AM

Reputation Power: 23

I had that happen on a GSXR 1100 I had... I found one of the spark plug wires was almost severed...

Check to make sure all your spark plug wires are on and that the wires themselves are intact... if that doesn't help than check each spark plug:
post #5 of 7 Old 01-18-2013, 2:01 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Throttle position sensors can die with age, heard of it on Triumphs but not often blades?

I've knackered an ECU on a blade, by plugging it in when the bike was switched on (twat). They tend to work or not work though, rather than partially fail.

Please give more info on the symptoms. Is it always exactly at 6,000rpm, or does it depend on load, road speed, etc.?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-18-2013, 3:36 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

Many thanks for replies guys will check all possible problems suggested .
I apologise for the brief information and hope fully will be able to give more today
The bike gets to 6000rpm and just cuts out completely on all cylinders and then cuts back in very aggressively but never going much over 6000 rpm it is the the same in all gears and only when under load
I've tried addind a cleaning additive and rode about 200 miles to see if this would help but no improvement I've had new plugs and the carbs cleaned and still no improvement
The bike shop now believes the problem is a fault in the wiring loom
I do have a data tool alarm fitted and I'm not sure if this will have any affect if not working properly or poorly fitted .

Once again many thanks and hope to hear from you all soon
post #7 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 1:05 AM

Reputation Power: 23

So you can rev it up past 6,000 and hold it when it's in neutral and not under load?

hmm...

I'd still check the spark plug wires and take all the plugs out and see if any or all of them have symptoms of any of the wear seen on that pic I posted.

Spark plugs never lie on a bike that isn't running good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
6000rpm , cutting out , rrw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page