900 RRW Running lumpy - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-19-2013, 9:48 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-19-2008
Location: kent,uk
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13
   
900 RRW Running lumpy

Hi Guys and girls,when i first bought my blade it had been standing and the tank and carbs were full of rust i cleaned everything out i pressue washed the tank and got it near perfect and the carbs i used carb cleaner and an airline to blow everything through,but on start up its popping around on no 3 for a few seconds and when its warm the tickover is up and down from 1100-1500,I have balanced the carbs which are spot on,The bike has done 19k miles and i did not get any history with it im guessing the miles are right because when i had the tyres changed 12 years old,I just wanted advise to weather it could be the shims need looking at or its a carb problem,the bike runs fine other than that
warloks38 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 01-19-2013, 9:52 AM
 
Join Date: 09-07-2007
Location: A Canadian now back in Canada.
Age: 67
Posts: 1,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26
                 
Re: 900 RRW Running lumpy

You used carb cleaner. Did you use it on all the disassembled parts? or just spray it where you could reach? I think that if you perform the full carb cleaning ritual you will find a big change for the better.
ghbzorro is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 01-19-2013, 9:56 AM
 
Join Date: 08-25-2008
Location: La Linea, Spain
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 34
                     
Re: 900 RRW Running lumpy

The gauze filters in the tank rot after a length of time. You can get a regular inline filter and just about fit it in the fuel line from the tank to the carbs. It's a bloody mystery why Honda didn't do this in the first place.

Fit one, clean your carbs once more for luck, and see where you are.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a small amount of water in your tank either. You can add methylated spirits to dissolve it in the petrol, or tip the petrol out and skim the petrol off the top of the water.

You may also have a leaky carb boot if your tickover won't settle, or shims out of spec.


amorti is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 01-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 900 RRW Running lumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by warloks38 View Post
Hi Guys and girls,when i first bought my blade it had been standing and the tank and carbs were full of rust i cleaned everything out i pressue washed the tank and got it near perfect and the carbs i used carb cleaner and an airline to blow everything through,but on start up its popping around on no 3 for a few seconds and when its warm the tickover is up and down from 1100-1500,I have balanced the carbs which are spot on,The bike has done 19k miles and i did not get any history with it im guessing the miles are right because when i had the tyres changed 12 years old,I just wanted advise to weather it could be the shims need looking at or its a carb problem,the bike runs fine other than that

You did strip everything out of the carbs when you cleaned them right?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 01-19-2013, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-19-2008
Location: kent,uk
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13
   
Re: 900 RRW Running lumpy

I only stripped the carbs down as far as I could without seperating them the fuel tank is clear or any water and I have an inline filter fitted
warloks38 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 01-19-2013, 2:01 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 900 RRW Running lumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by warloks38 View Post
I only stripped the carbs down as far as I could without seperating them the fuel tank is clear or any water and I have an inline filter fitted

But you did remove all the jets, emulsion tubes and mixture screws to clean out the pilot circuits?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 01-19-2013, 3:14 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-19-2008
Location: kent,uk
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13
   
Re: 900 RRW Running lumpy

i took out every jet that i could,also took out the throttle slides,Also did a compression test and that seemed fine,Ive heard of ultrasonic cleaning can this be the way forward,I think the shims need to be done but i will have to let my dealer do that always had suzuki gsxrs before the blade they had tappets so it was an easy job to check valves
warloks38 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 01-19-2013, 3:21 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 900 RRW Running lumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by warloks38 View Post
i took out every jet that i could,also took out the throttle slides,Also did a compression test and that seemed fine,Ive heard of ultrasonic cleaning can this be the way forward,I think the shims need to be done but i will have to let my dealer do that always had suzuki gsxrs before the blade they had tappets so it was an easy job to check valves

Your idle is controlled by the pilot circuits which are almost microscopic so the mixture screws and pilot jets have to be removed for cleaning.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How hot is my f4 actually running? Stephenscbr Honda CBR 600 1 06-29-2012 5:02 PM
Running Hot pgafuture Honda FireBlade 4 11-07-2009 2:29 AM
running lights....not running antisleepman Honda RC51 3 03-17-2008 9:25 PM
Running Hot timgo Honda RC51 4 02-24-2006 10:46 PM
Lumpy idle JWHT Honda FireBlade 9 07-26-2004 7:49 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome