929 Power Commander Died 954 Fitted. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

929 Power Commander Died 954 Fitted.

My Power Commander died suddenly, I recently finished rebuilding the bike after doing a CBR1000RR swinging arm conversion on it and pushed it outside to start it up. it ran for a couple of seconds then died, sounded like there was a bit of a fizzle that came from under the pillion seat (where the PC is mounted).

No lights on the PC when the bike was powered up so immediately suspected that it was causing the problem. Disconnected it and the bike fired up, QED.

I didn't want to pay top dollar for a new 929 PC as I'm a skinflint but I did find a 954 PCIIIr version on Ebay for 80 delivered, seemed to have the same connectors so I thought I'd see if it fits.

It does fit as the main loom connectors are identical. There is one major difference in as much as the 954 PC has connectors for the ignition pulse pickup sensor.

When I first connected the main loom and pickup sensor connectors the bike wouldn't start? I disconnected the pickup (seeing as this is the main visible difference between the two PCs) from the PC and the bike ran...strange!

Anyway, I had saved the 929 map last year when I was messing around with the PC so I loaded a 954 base map and copied and pasted the 929 values into the 954 map, saved it and then transferred it to the PC. Started fine and seemed to run OK albeit without the pickup sensor connected into the PC.

I then had a brainwave and reconnected the pickup sensor. The bike now runs OK with main loom and pickup connected.

Quite strange that the PC wouldn't work with the pickup sensor connected yet once I'd got it running I could connect the pickup and it seemed to be fine. Perhaps the PC needs initialising without the pickup before it will work with it? Or perhaps the 954 map with pickup connected wasn't tuned for cold starting a 929 with pickup connected (it did run rough on the 954 map - different ECU and injectors and all that) but why it ran without the pickup connected is anyone's guess??

Anyway I've proven that the 954 fits to the 929 and works (haven't had it out for a run yet so I'll reserve full judgement until I do).

I imagine the 929 will also fit the 954 but don't know what effect not having the pickup sensor would have on the 954?

GG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 12:37 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Re: 929 Power Commander Died 954 Fitted.

Glad the new PC works... but I wouldn't rule out the old PC... sometimes when the PC experiences a short or loss of power it can go into boot loader mode (google it) this will cause the PC to not light up (the lights cycle up and down on the bar)... it may not even be recognized by the computer when you plug it in...

When I bought my PCIIIusb it was locked up in boot loader mode and I thought it was a dud too... brought it to a Dynojet tuner (not just a dealer) and they have the $200 software to un-lock it (usually for free for you)... or you can mail the PC to Dynojet and they'll unlock it for free.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 1:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Matt, may be worth looking into.

GG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 2:12 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzeegeezer View Post

My Power Commander died suddenly, I recently finished rebuilding the bike after doing a CBR1000RR swinging arm conversion on it and pushed it outside to start it up. it ran for a couple of seconds then died, sounded like there was a bit of a fizzle that came from under the pillion seat (where the PC is mounted).

No lights on the PC when the bike was powered up so immediately suspected that it was causing the problem. Disconnected it and the bike fired up, QED.

I didn't want to pay top dollar for a new 929 PC as I'm a skinflint but I did find a 954 PCIIIr version on Ebay for 80 delivered, seemed to have the same connectors so I thought I'd see if it fits.

It does fit as the main loom connectors are identical. There is one major difference in as much as the 954 PC has connectors for the ignition pulse pickup sensor.

When I first connected the main loom and pickup sensor connectors the bike wouldn't start? I disconnected the pickup (seeing as this is the main visible difference between the two PCs) from the PC and the bike ran...strange!

Anyway, I had saved the 929 map last year when I was messing around with the PC so I loaded a 954 base map and copied and pasted the 929 values into the 954 map, saved it and then transferred it to the PC. Started fine and seemed to run OK albeit without the pickup sensor connected into the PC.

I then had a brainwave and reconnected the pickup sensor. The bike now runs OK with main loom and pickup connected.

Quite strange that the PC wouldn't work with the pickup sensor connected yet once I'd got it running I could connect the pickup and it seemed to be fine. Perhaps the PC needs initialising without the pickup before it will work with it? Or perhaps the 954 map with pickup connected wasn't tuned for cold starting a 929 with pickup connected (it did run rough on the 954 map - different ECU and injectors and all that) but why it ran without the pickup connected is anyone's guess??

Anyway I've proven that the 954 fits to the 929 and works (haven't had it out for a run yet so I'll reserve full judgement until I do).

I imagine the 929 will also fit the 954 but don't know what effect not having the pickup sensor would have on the 954?

GG
The pulse generator wire isn't needed unless you are using an ignition map as well as a fuel map.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 2:16 PM

Reputation Power: 113

On a sidenote, what's with the picture of a sweater on every post?

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 2:49 PM Thread Starter

A ganzee is a traditional fishermen's sweater from NE England (where I'm originally from).

GG
post #7 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 10:26 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post
On a sidenote, what's with the picture of a sweater on every post?
I was wondering the same thing lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page