High Speed Injectors are not working - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 8:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

High Speed Injectors are not working

Hello fellows,

I need help with my Honda CBR1000rr 2008.
I would really appreciate any advise on this:
The injectors of high speed are not working.
As a result, whenever I go beyond 8,000 RPM the engine turns off.
I have no idea what the issue might be. I have checked on the following:

-Went to clean up the injectors and they worked perfectly.
-Checked the spark plugs and they look neat.
-Checked the fuel pump and the preasure was very low so I replaced it.
-Checked the new fuel pump and it worked perfectly.

The issue is that the engine keeps shutting down after 8,000 when the bike is "cold" and when it is "hot" the engine does start at all.
Once it cools off (usually after 30 minutes or so) you can start it again.
And doing this will let you ride below 8,000 RPM.

Any idea of what I can do to make it work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 10:16 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Re: High Speed Injectors are not working

Is it throwing any codes (blinking light on the instrument panel?)

Sounds like it's in limp mode, try clearing the codes and see if that does the trick.

Also check the throttle bodies and air box for loose or severed sensors etc... the bike might not let the secondary injectors kick in if it falsely thinks the air/fuel ratio is off...

I'd be surprised if your bike wasn't throwing a code... so start there.

GL!
post #3 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Hello MatCBR,

Thanks for your advise! :-)
I should have mentioned this... the instrument pannel shows zero issues.
There is no "Check" sign, neither is there a blinking light or code...

Regarding your comment on the throttle bodies and air box, I just checked the IAT sensor and the map sensor and they are showing the correct values from the manual :/

Any other idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 10:57 PM

It could be one of three things... air, spark, or fuel...

Sounds like you looked into spark good...

Is anything in the air box? sometime mice can clog it up with a nest... is your air filter gummed up with dirt or oil?... that might explain why it won't start back up until it's cool... (it probably takes some time for combustable air to filter it's way in past a junk air filter)

You also looked into fuel pretty good...What kind of gas are you putting in it? (without seeing the bike run) You might be pre-detonating if you use low octane fuel... that's just a guess...

Do you have a Power commander or anything?

Is your exhaust working good?... I think your CBR also has the electronic valves in the mid-pipe that open and close based on the RPM.

Lastly, Is it smoking at all (like blue, black, or even white thick smoke out the tail pipe?) (thinking head gasket, piston rings, etc)
post #5 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Tks again... All right, let's see...
Let me give you the background... my story is this:
My bike had always been OK ever since I bought it (December 2011).
When I bought it, it only had 5,000 miles on it.
Then on September 2012, I took it to a painter. He did an awsome paint job on her.
However, 2 days after he painted her, I started having problems. The painter closed business and I never saw him again. (Coincidence?)
Later on, a friend told me that he had the same situation and found out that the painter had stolen parts of his bike... :/
I guess that something similar happened to me which would explain why I had to replace the fuel pump, the air filter and the IAT sensor on October...

Since October, one of the best electromechanic guys we have down here (in Costa Rica -Central America) has been looking at it.
However, we have not been able to reach the root cause of the issue yet...

Enough reality show, let's get back to the problem and your questions:

Sparks: OK!

Air: The air filter is brand new (got a K&N for Christmas... too bad I have not been able to use the bike...)...OK!

Fuel: The gas I use is high octane fuel (not sure what the exact octane number is, but it is the best bike gasoline (with the highest octane) we have down here.

Power Commander: Good point... this might be it... I had a Juicebox... disconnected a few months back (to reduce gasoline consumption) and tried to put it back but did not know how... what a shame... I still have it on me but it is not connected to the bike, could this be the cause of the issue?

Exaust: It's a brand new D&D (also got it for X-mas and have not been able to "ride" it)... I also have a Taylor Made and both of these exaust systems are pretty new...

Smoking: The D&D smoked a little bit (white) this morning... barely noticeable, though... what do you think?

Last edited by daniboy2009; 01-19-2013 at 11:32 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 11:30 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Vapour lock? When it does this again POP the gas cap open...if it makes a wooshing sound like it needs air there may be a block in the venting through the gas cap.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Hello unlucky69, tks for your help!
I'm sorry, I did not understand your comment.
Would you pls rephrase it and/or elaborate on it a little bit more?
post #8 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 11:48 PM

sorry about all the drama The guy didn't steal your secondary injectors did he? (jk)

Good you're using higher octane gas. The Gas cap idea from unlucky is a good idea to check that out.

Since you took your juice box off maybe you either forgot, or mismatched pluging in the wires off the throttle bodies to the ECM (might explain why they don't seem to kick on at 8,000rpm).

So digging deeper into the air/fuel/spark... the smoke sounds normal... the 08 CBR's had recalls for the piston rings that'd cause excessive oil burning and black smoke, but not all of them are symptomatic.

Anyway, it might be worth your time to lift the tank (check to see if the tubes that bring air into the tank (as fuel goes down) are free flowing)... take the air box off (look it over) and then check your valve clearances.

side story: I once bought a 87 CBR 600 Huricane that ran like crap, wouldn't rev, etc for a couple hundred dollars(didn't know the problem at the time). I went through it top to bottom... found out the only thing wrong was the valve clearances, adjusted them to spec, and it ran like a charm

If your valves aren't opening long enough to let new air in and exhaust out... it might only be symptomatic at higher revs when valve tolerances are essential to do the air exchange within the fraction of a second it has.

SOOO... if your valves are to spec I'd look at your spark plugs of course and then take the fuel rails out. Either clean them yourself, or (do what I do) and bring them into a shop with one of those fancy bubler things that jewlers have and it can clean them better than any home DIY mechanic.

GL!
post #9 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 11:56 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Ok most motorcycle gas tanks vent through the gas cap, since you say you just had it painted and its been doing this since sort of leads me to believe there may be a venting problem.

You could do like I said and take it for a ride until it makes the same problem, when it does shut the bike off and use the key to open the gas cap, if it makes a wooshing sound or it sounds like air is rushing in you may have a venting problem.

Or you can take a 5mm Allen key and remove the 5 or 6 bolts holding the gas cap in place, make sure you open the cap and remove the security bolt under the gas cap first then the outer ones.

Once that is done remove the cap and gasket, there should be a small vent hole somewhere in the recess...my guess is the painter painted right over it and it is blocked.

Poke around with a small screwdriver or awl to remove the blockage and test.

Keep us posted please as I think I may be correct...
post #10 of 12 Old 01-20-2013, 12:13 AM

+1

except newer bikes like the 1000rr breath within the gas cap which doesn't breath to the top of the gas cap, rather through the bottom of the cap, to the side, and then back down to the gas overflow area you see when the cap is up... if either that small port or the gas overflow drainage tube is blocked than you can have the problem unlucky is talking about.

check that out first before getting into the valves
post #11 of 12 Old 01-20-2013, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

You guys rock! Let me check out the gas cap and (if needed) the valves/sparks and I will get back to you next week! Tks so much!!!
post #12 of 12 Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Hello guys,

All right, let's see...
Thanks to your advise, I checked the following items:
1. Gas Cap: It was OK. Zero paint anywhere.
2. Tank Tubes: They were OK. Air is flowing freely.
3. Spark Plugs: They look pretty good.

BUT, I found an issue that might be it!!!

In front of the bike, there are 2 air entries... they have some type of blinds that are controlled by a solenoid. When the bike is cold, they are closed, so no air comes in. When the bike is hot, they open so the air comes in...

I just noticed that they are not working... They are closed and they remain closed... I tested the solenoids separately and they work, but when they bike is running, they do not... How can it that be? Possibly the wire is not working... Any ideas? and do you think that this might be the root cause of the issue that is preventing the secondary injectors from working?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
injectors , rpm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page