Fireblade 1998 RRW rear sprocket - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-22-2013, 8:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Fireblade 1998 RRW rear sprocket

Hi to all,I'm still new to this forum and would appreciate your help.

my RRW needs a new chain and sprockets. The ones I have at the moment are standard: 16 teeth front and 42 teeth rear, the chain is a 525 HV produced by DID.

1. What does the HV mean? Cannot find any info on the net. I'm fine with the 525. Should I really bother about the HV???

2. Was thinking of replacing the rear sprocket with 2 more teeth (44 teeth instead of 42) to have a bit more acceleration. Grip on maltese roads, unfortunately is already horrible so cannot increase it more. Do I need to have a longer chain? More links? Have read somewhere in this forum that changing that reducing the teeth on the front will increase the stress on the chain?

3. Would i be able to buy a complete set or should I go for individual items?

I looked into final drive kits by DID, Renthal, Tsubaki and JT. They all seem fine to me. The bike is used mainly in weekends with no track use...so i would say not abused at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Bernard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-22-2013, 9:27 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Fireblade 1998 RRW rear sprocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by nardumini View Post
Hi to all,I'm still new to this forum and would appreciate your help.

my RRW needs a new chain and sprockets. The ones I have at the moment are standard: 16 teeth front and 42 teeth rear, the chain is a 525 HV produced by DID.

1. What does the HV mean? Cannot find any info on the net. I'm fine with the 525. Should I really bother about the HV???

2. Was thinking of replacing the rear sprocket with 2 more teeth (44 teeth instead of 42) to have a bit more acceleration. Grip on maltese roads, unfortunately is already horrible so cannot increase it more. Do I need to have a longer chain? More links? Have read somewhere in this forum that changing that reducing the teeth on the front will increase the stress on the chain?

3. Would i be able to buy a complete set or should I go for individual items?

I looked into final drive kits by DID, Renthal, Tsubaki and JT. They all seem fine to me. The bike is used mainly in weekends with no track use...so i would say not abused at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Bernard

HV is the model or quality of chain.
D.I.D. Racing Chains & DirtStar® Rims
HV is not listed but I think it's the OEM chain so it's quite likely fifteen years old now.
I would suggest getting the highest quality you can afford.
If you're replacing the sprockets as well I would switch from 525 to either 530 or 520, 525 is a fairly uncommon size nowadays.
I recommend going one tooth less on the front sprocket, if you find you want more than that then you can add two on the rear sprocket without having to change the length of the chain.
Yes, theoretically you would expect more wear on a smaller sprocket, but for all practical purposes any difference is negligable. Older bikes run 14-tooth or even smaller so modern 15 and 16 tooth sprockets are already pretty big.
Entirely up to you, sometimes chain and sprocket kits are cheaper and have the chain already cut to the required length, although you still need a riveter to join it anyway, which also does the job of cutting it to length so it's not that big an advantage having it cut to length.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Last edited by bladeracer; 01-22-2013 at 10:15 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-22-2013, 9:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Thanks Bladeracer.

I will then get the 520 sprockets on their own, the 520 with 15 teeth/42. This should still be fine with a standard length chain.

I was thinking of going for the 520ZVM-X or the 520VX-2.
I will be buying a riverter tool as well and was thinking of this:

Honda CBR 900 RRW Fireblade SC33 98 Tool - Chain Riveter Parts at Wemoto - The UK's No.1 On-Line Motorcycle Parts Retailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by nardumini View Post
Thanks Bladeracer.

I will then get the 520 sprockets on their own, the 520 with 15 teeth/42. This should still be fine with a standard length chain.

I was thinking of going for the 520ZVM-X or the 520VX-2.
I will be buying a riverter tool as well and was thinking of this:

Honda CBR 900 RRW Fireblade SC33 98 Tool - Chain Riveter Parts at Wemoto - The UK's No.1 On-Line Motorcycle Parts Retailer

I'm running the VX2 on my ZX6R and '90 GSXR750 currently and I think it comes with a clip link rather than riveted?
Yep, that's similar to the the chain tool I prefer. Be sure to grind the rivets off before trying to press the pins out.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page