Introduction to my Cbr929rr Build Thread! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-22-2013, 8:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Introduction to my Cbr929rr Build Thread!

Hey there, New member here.

I recently purchased a 2000 Cbr929rr. Awesome Bike nice ride definetly different from my previous bikes (tl1000s, wr426 supermoto, zx600r(first bike)) and i love it! Well my luck was cut short a couple days ago. I was just going for a cruise when bad road conditions got the best of me and my bike. i lost balance and control of the bike going 40-50mph on a tight curve. dropping the bike on its left side damaging the fairing and busting a big whole on my crankshaft housing. declaring the bike DEAD! I sad to have to part with it so i held myself together whipped off the tear and decided to Strip it down and rebuilt it from the ground up. Meaning Replace Motor or pick up a bottom end in good condition and rebuild the old one. Upgrading Brakes. New Clutch. tires. and reduce weight. pretty much the whole shibang.

Now heres where you guys come in play. Ive always worked on cars my whole life. couple engine swaps and all. This is my first bike project and I would greatly appreciate you help and opinion on how to do things the right way.

To Start with what a good Accurate and helping DIY book on this bike...And anyone wanting to sell a complete motor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Introduction to my Cbr929rr Build Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingping929 View Post
Hey there, New member here.

I recently purchased a 2000 Cbr929rr. Awesome Bike nice ride definetly different from my previous bikes (tl1000s, wr426 supermoto, zx600r(first bike)) and i love it! Well my luck was cut short a couple days ago. I was just going for a cruise when bad road conditions got the best of me and my bike. i lost balance and control of the bike going 40-50mph on a tight curve. dropping the bike on its left side damaging the fairing and busting a big whole on my crankshaft housing. declaring the bike DEAD! I sad to have to part with it so i held myself together whipped off the tear and decided to Strip it down and rebuilt it from the ground up. Meaning Replace Motor or pick up a bottom end in good condition and rebuild the old one. Upgrading Brakes. New Clutch. tires. and reduce weight. pretty much the whole shibang.

Now heres where you guys come in play. Ive always worked on cars my whole life. couple engine swaps and all. This is my first bike project and I would greatly appreciate you help and opinion on how to do things the right way.

To Start with what a good Accurate and helping DIY book on this bike...And anyone wanting to sell a complete motor?

Can the hole be welded?
Get the Haynes manual for DIY.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 10 Old 01-22-2013, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Can the hole be welded?
Get the Haynes manual for DIY.
thanks for the responce. but Nope. Not really a hole. I shatered the case into small pieces and lost some of them. i was hoping i could just weld it back on too. And i thought about haynes but any other ones out there. if not ill pick one up asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
thanks for the responce. but Nope. Not really a hole. I shatered the case into small pieces and lost some of them. i was hoping i could just weld it back on too. And i thought about haynes but any other ones out there. if not ill pick one up asap.

You don't mean the stator cover do you?
There might be a Clymer manual perhaps but I don't like Clymer's.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 10 Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You don't mean the stator cover do you?
There might be a Clymer manual perhaps but I don't like Clymer's.
Both the stator cover and the part of the block that its bolted on shatered. And Haynes it is!
post #6 of 10 Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Both the stator cover and the part of the block that its bolted on shatered. And Haynes it is!

That's very common on the 929/954 engine, but it is very often repairable.
Can you post pics of the damage to the crankcase?

post #7 of 10 Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's very common on the 929/954 engine, but it is very often repairable.
Can you post pics of the damage to the crankcase?
I only have one pic of it! hopefully it helps to asses it better!

post #8 of 10 Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Bump any thoughts?
post #9 of 10 Old 01-24-2013, 12:44 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Bump any thoughts?

You'll have to show it a good welder for his opinion, I think it's borderline as to whether that is repairable.

post #10 of 10 Old 01-24-2013, 5:55 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Ahh the old "my drop spools didn't work" (happens all the time)... That's fixable...

You have to remove the stator and fly wheel to make room for a welder to get in there... bring along a new cover to the welder too... also diligently plug and cover the passages to the crank and oil pan (basically have it all set up so all he has to do is weld).

A good alloy welder might cost you about $70-$100 an hour but it's cheaper than buying a new engine... Call boat prop shops that fix and weld props... they are VERY used to miticulously welding alloys of all crazy types... your run of the mill exhaust shop can't touch it with their mig welder... TIG welding alloy is an art... Go to a pro

GL!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page