Damper and summer riding gear. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Damper and summer riding gear.

Need some advice; What is handsdown the best damper to buy for the street and back country roads? Price does not matter. Same thing with Summer riding gear, what's the overall best one as far as breathability and protection (jacket and pants).

Thanks,

-Just a new guy

No matter how full your life may seem there is always room for a few beers with friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Re: Damper and summer riding gear.

Different people may use different words,
Do you mean steering or suspension dampers ?
post #3 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcarlton View Post
Different people may use different words,
Do you mean steering or suspension dampers ?
Steering damper/ stabilizer.

I shoulda been more specific.

No matter how full your life may seem there is always room for a few beers with friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 1:17 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Ohlins, not much better out there, I've had many over the years, but there are many other brands that do a decent job also, Sprint, Scotts, Matris, hyper pro, etc etc, they all good.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 7:22 AM

Reputation Power: 113

For best protection, you aren't going to get much better than Kangaroo leathers.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 9:22 AM Thread Starter

Cool, cool. Time to shop.

post #7 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 4:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecbr1000 View Post
Ohlins, not much better out there, I've had many over the years, but there are many other brands that do a decent job also, Sprint, Scotts, Matris, hyper pro, etc etc, they all good.
Got the Ohlins damper ordered. Should be delivered on the 28th. I like the fact that its sealed under pressure to eliminate free play. I'll take some before during and after photos. Thanks for the suggestion, can't wait to see/ feel the difference. Never rode with one before.

post #8 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 7:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

Ohlins is good but usually on the expensive side. you can get a scotts or sprint for usually cheaper that does just as good of a job.

As for other gear, its pretty much trial and error on what you like and whats good for you. As a person who rides year round, its good to get different stuff for different weather conditions. But if I was to choose, Alpine Stars for jackets and gloves, and scorpion for helmets
post #9 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 9:46 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Have never had anything other than Dainese perforated leather jackets with zip in liners for cooler weather. Absolutely love them! You do still get hot in them when you stop.

Just picked up a Scott's Damper from Ebay and I like that also. Although I have never used a damper before. G/L
post #10 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyknick1015 View Post
Ohlins is good but usually on the expensive side. you can get a scotts or sprint for usually cheaper that does just as good of a job.

As for other gear, its pretty much trial and error on what you like and whats good for you. As a person who rides year round, its good to get different stuff for different weather conditions. But if I was to choose, Alpine Stars for jackets and gloves, and scorpion for helmets
Yeah, it was about $700 shipped. The reviewed looked great. And the fact that it's sealed underpressure eleminates any "play" That i've read about in the "scotts" style damper. Soo, can't to see the difference. I think anything will be better than my current tour master jacket, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoni View Post
Have never had anything other than Dainese perforated leather jackets with zip in liners for cooler weather. Absolutely love them! You do still get hot in them when you stop.

Just picked up a Scott's Damper from Ebay and I like that also. Although I have never used a damper before. G/L
I'll have to check them out. I'm also gonna wrap my headers and mid pipe to the back of the motor to see if I can cut down on some of the heat. Summer days in South Alabama get really really hot expecially with the humidity. I'm like you, I've never had a damper... Just keep hearing great things about them... Even as far as the best upgrade for a bike.

-Thanks guys.

post #11 of 12 Old 01-24-2013, 3:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

I have ohlins on mine and Ohlins certainly do what you want them to do. Everybody has their own preferences but once you get it set to your liking you will definately notice the difference.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-24-2013, 9:11 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Couldn't tell you about steering dampers, however I do have two cents to throw in for summer gear. I've got two jackets that I wear in the summer, an all leather AGV jacket with vents, which is ok up until about 75 degrees, when it gets really toasty. I've also got a Tourmaster Intake, which is a 3-part jacket consisting of a perforated synthetic outer layer, which contains all the padding. The second layer, which zips and snaps out, is a wind proof/waterproof layer. The third layer is a thermal layer that zips into the second layer. I find that this breathes much better than any other jacket I've had. The downside is that it is not waterproof if you wear just the outer layer, so you have to account for carrying the second layer if you are anticipating rain.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page