Questions for Arata owners. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 03-02-2004, 1:53 PM Thread Starter
BK_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Questions for Arata owners.

I want to buy a full High level Arata system for my 954, but I’m concerned about a few things:

1 – losing all my bottom end and driveability. I ride mostly on the road where bottom end and midrange are even more important than top end. With proper mapping, is this a problem?

2 – Noise. That tapered muffler obviously makes sense in terms of gas flow, but I bet it is deafening. How loud it is compared to say an Akra (a fairly quiet system)? I don't want it if it is REALLY loud.

3- I haven't been able to find any before/after dyno curves. They all seem to have been deleted. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Ben.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-02-2004, 2:09 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Re: Questions for Arata owners.

Here a graph that I have of a Serpent, Hindle and Arata.

It's an old one so maybe Dan has been able to get rid of the flat spot down low.

IMO as far as sound, it's louder than the Akro but it's a nice sound definitely not annoying like some.

01 CBR 929
08 Ducati 1098

Florida Trackdays

GiveGab

post #3 of 24 Old 03-02-2004, 2:24 PM

Reputation Power: 31

I use mine on the street quite a bit, too. I've even lowered the gearing to 15/44 and it's still fine on the street. I don't find it obnoxiously loud at all. I actually think it's similar in volume and "low growl" to the TBR slipon that I previously owned. It's got a good sound. I'm happy with mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 03-02-2004, 2:24 PM

Reputation Power: 50

I've heard a couple Arata's and didn't think they were loud at all.
post #5 of 24 Old 03-03-2004, 10:48 AM

For driveability, both on and off the track, it looks as if the Hindle is still the better option even though you are sacrificing 1.7 HP. For us average street riders and trackday junkies, the 1.7 HP is going to be hardly noticable. However, that big ass gap in the low end, with the Arata, will be felt by even the novice rider.

Last edited by Tank69; 03-03-2004 at 10:49 AM.
post #6 of 24 Old 03-03-2004, 1:18 PM

I can't say that I 'feel' a dip in power below 4k rpms w/ my Arata. I'm using the 49 state map that Dan provided with it. I have a hight mount pipe.

At the track, I run my rpm's much higher and I keep 'em pretty high on the road too so I don't spend much time btwn 3 & 4 k but I don't recall ever noticing a "significant" drop in power.

I'm getting my bike dyno'd next week. Since I already have the Arata installed, I'll only have comparisons btwn Dan's map and the custom map for my bike so I'll be able to see if that dip has been worked out of Dan's map.

I didn't notice any driveability issues with the new pipes at all with stock gearing or 15/44 gearing. I'm not a novice rider either.

I always ride with earplugs so I really can't comment about sound volume when on the bike. On the track, it doesn't sound any louder than all the other bikes and that's with me on the sideline with someone else riding my bike.
post #7 of 24 Old 03-03-2004, 1:27 PM

HG, please post your dyno results when you get them. Thanks for the info about the "dips" or lack thereof.
post #8 of 24 Old 03-03-2004, 1:42 PM

Yes, please do. I'm curious as well
post #9 of 24 Old 03-03-2004, 2:45 PM Thread Starter
BK_

Thanks for the input guys (and gal!).

The reason I’m being so anal about the low end, is that my bike is my main transport. As well as using it for trackdays and fast rides, I commute on it through central London most days. My bike spends quite a lot of time below 4000 rpm If it is possible to tune it up and keep it useable at slow speeds, I would like to.

Going by that dyno readout, the Arata is great up top, but down low it does lose out a bit to the stock system. However, as long as the power delivery is smooth and linear, it doesn’t really matter if it loses a little bit of power. The only thing that worries me is that big dip at 3750rpm, where the power suddenly drops 15hp. That could make the bike stumble away from traffic lights, or surge at slow speeds - it could be a real pain.
Perhaps Dan concentrated on the mid and top end and didn’t pay much attention to such low revs? Maybe concentrating on that specific area would improve it. It could be a one-off. I don’t know. I would be very interested to see your results HondaGal.

The Hindle curve does look very good. They are pretty cheap as well. Hmmm……
post #10 of 24 Old 03-03-2004, 2:54 PM Thread Starter
BK_

The other thing to bear in mind is that the “stock” curve on the above chart has been mapped with a PC3R. The true stock dyno results I have seen are not nearly as smooth as that.
post #11 of 24 Old 03-03-2004, 6:44 PM

A custom map will cure your low end if you tuner has any skills. I did loss a little low end but it's smooth all the way up. The sound is awesome. Not loud at idle and pretty quite for a full system WOT. My bud has a d&d slipon that came w/ the bike and the packing had be completely removed....talk about f-n loud! It's terrible.

If your that worried about you low end just get a slipon or get ready to spend some dough on the system, pc and a custom map.
post #12 of 24 Old 03-03-2004, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02FBlade
A custom map will cure your low end if you tuner has any skills. I did loss a little low end but it's smooth all the way up. The sound is awesome. Not loud at idle and pretty quite for a full system WOT. My bud has a d&d slipon that came w/ the bike and the packing had be completely removed....talk about f-n loud! It's terrible.

If your that worried about you low end just get a slipon or get ready to spend some dough on the system, pc and a custom map.
post #13 of 24 Old 03-16-2004, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954spider
I have an ARATA high mount.. I love the system.. however as people have eluded to .. loose alot in the low-end. Im using the DK 49 State but looking to get a custom map.

Its time for an oil change.. how does one remove the oil filter? Ive tried a band wrench but the spacing between the filter and headers is tight... Anyone else experience difficulty?

TIA
post #14 of 24 Old 03-16-2004, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interbyte
I have an ARATA high mount.. I love the system.. however as people have eluded to .. loose alot in the low-end. Im using the DK 49 State but looking to get a custom map.

Its time for an oil change.. how does one remove the oil filter? Ive tried a band wrench but the spacing between the filter and headers is tight... Anyone else experience difficulty?

TIA
It's a pain getting something in there to remove the filter. I found an oil filter wrench at my dealer that is basically a flat piece of metal with the opening that fits that filter specifically. Unfortunately, I don't know who makes it. I'll see if anything is stamped on it.
post #15 of 24 Old 03-16-2004, 12:59 PM

Check out this thread HondaGal and I had our bikes custom dyno mapped, you can see the charts throughout this thread. Both bikes have full Aratas with PCIIIs. No other mods to the airbox. No dips in the lower end with either bike. There were no dips with the maps we were using from Dan Kyle, and there's no dips with the custom maps, either. I took my bike out briefly and found no problem with driveability around 3000-5000 rpm! It runs awesome!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page