RRX Speedo Corrosion pic - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-05-2013, 7:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

RRX Speedo Corrosion pic

My speedo stopped working on my UK model 1999 RRX. I've been working through the haynes manual procedures, but have one last test to do once I rig tiny prongs for my multimeter to test the speedo cluster connector, while spinning the rear wheel to check for a flucuating current. the guide says if no current detected the speedo is broken.

but anyway I took the instrument cluster off and noted blue fur corosion visible, so I took the clocks apart and found 6 wire connectors, which I beleive run to the speedo area on the board, had the blue fur corosion. I cleaned with contact cleaner , and they look fine, no cracks in solder seen. went for test ride hoping it would work again, but no, not working.

my question is, ( from the pic) would the blue fur ( copper sulphate I believe) have caused a short and blown something on the circuit board.

Ive still to rule out the speed sensor, but with the corrosion my guess is thats the problem. has anyone experience of this corrosion breaking pcb's even when looking normal after cleaning? before and after pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
rrx corosion.jpg‎   rrx cleaned.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-07-2013, 9:09 AM

Reputation Power: 34

Re: RRX Speedo Corrosion pic

Your pics are too small to see what's going on but anyway I wouldn't bother messing about any further when replacement parts are SO cheap.

Or since the David Silver links tend to move about, try here with part number: 37105-MAS-E01

I would however suggest you check for over charging, the speedo circuit board is pretty fragile and you could get issues with it from overcharging.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-09-2013, 5:08 PM

Reputation Power: 11

amorti, thanks alot, I didnt know I could get a replacement board without buying a full set of clocks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-09-2013, 5:48 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnx144 View Post
amorti, thanks alot, I didnt know I could get a replacement board without buying a full set of clocks!
I know because when you put a screwdriver across those little bulbs to change them, it melts the board if you don't first switch the bike off. Such a twat!

If you happen to call them, please enquire if they can supply a km/h board for similar money?? I made an interesting soldered repair and the lights flicker a bit now.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-09-2013, 5:56 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorti View Post
I know because when you put a screwdriver across those little bulbs to change them, it melts the board if you don't first switch the bike off. Such a twat!

If you happen to call them, please enquire if they can supply a km/h board for similar money?? I made an interesting soldered repair and the lights flicker a bit now.
yes, I will ask them. the postage to me for the board is silly at 12, but I need it. I must choose a few other things as well.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-11-2013, 2:37 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 12

Amorti- I got an answer from them, ''

Dear Sir,
Part number 37105MASE01 is 49.11 plus VAT to order in from one of our suppliers. The parts list covers European models but does not list a different part number for KPH units ? ''

It seems they have not got kph units. sayin that the price quoted above is different from the 30 I paid on their site when I ordered, so the guy replying to me mite be ignorant....
post #7 of 7 Old 03-11-2013, 3:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 51

Speedos are the same, its the facia that's marked differently.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
corrosion , pcb , rrx , speedo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page