2001 CBR 929RR headlight problem - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

2001 CBR 929RR headlight problem

Ok. I have a 2001 honda cbr 929rr and one day I went out and my headlights werent working. I found out that its a possibility that my headlight relay is bad so I ordered a new one. The part number was RC-2208. I put it in and the headlights still dont work. The blinkers and everything else work. I unplugged the new relay and jumped the relay with a spare piece of wire and the headlights came on. Can someone please help me figure this out. I have a poker run this weekend that Im supposed to be at and I cant ride with no lights.

Last edited by Machinegun; 03-06-2013 at 6:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-20-2013, 6:21 PM

Reputation Power: 10

Re: 2001 CBR 929RR headlight problem

I'm having the same issue, have you resolved the issue??
post #3 of 15 Old 04-20-2013, 7:43 PM Thread Starter

My problem is the wiring harness. On the upper wiring harness is a plug around the headlight area that has nothing but green wires running into it. Its a ground plug. Mine burnt and melted. Which means i have a short somewhere. So to bypass it i just ran a wire from the battery to a toggle switch and i ran a wire from the toggle switch to the center headlight only for my dim light and i did a separate toggle switch that both of the outside headlights are on. That way i can choose how my headlights are on. I can do all three on, just the middle one on, or just the two outsides on. I like it better this way anyways. Looks cooler at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-21-2013, 1:11 AM

Hey get a philips screw driver okay? go to your right clip on and open up the kill switch housing, there are two soldered (or suppose to be soldered wiring in there) Check those and post back up and let me know if anything is loose
post #5 of 15 Old 06-04-2014, 12:25 AM

I have the exact same problem. I opened up the starter switch assembly and found one soldered wire had actually broken off. When I touched the connection together, my headlights turned back on.

My question is, if I am to solder the wire back on, do I need to disconnect the electrical components of the switch assembly before doing the soldering?
post #6 of 15 Old 06-04-2014, 3:40 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedreefer View Post
I have the exact same problem. I opened up the starter switch assembly and found one soldered wire had actually broken off. When I touched the connection together, my headlights turned back on.

My question is, if I am to solder the wire back on, do I need to disconnect the electrical components of the switch assembly before doing the soldering?

Shouldn't have to but it'd probably be sensible to disconnect the battery negative.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 15 Old 07-30-2014, 9:44 AM

I've checked the starter switch all wires are good. My headlights relay is buzzing. I've also checked the main wiring harness plug on the side under the cowl. My next step i guess is to strip the wiring harness and check that. Any other ideas would help.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-16-2015, 11:07 PM

I have the same problem but the two turn signals stay on along with the running lights in the front and the head light is dim and the high beams dont come on the no matter where I put position of the headlight switch fuses good. wires in kill switch assembly are good too help
post #9 of 15 Old 04-10-2017, 11:54 AM

This appears to be an old post, but I have the same problem with my headlight. Dim was not working. Brights and everything else work. I opened the starter housing and saw one wire disconnected. Touching it back to a connector turned the headlight on. Soldering was done. However, riding for about 10 miles and headlight went off. Wire is once again disconnected. Soldering was done again, and once again after a short ride it gets disconnected.

I took the the whole housing off and cleaned all prior soldering to make sure nothing is touching the other wire connections. Soldered it again making sure no solder is touching any other connecting point. Tested continuity on both ends of the harness. Everything seemed to be working. Connected the harness, and the light wasn't working, so i fiddled with the headlight connected, and the headlight came on. I did notice that all the soldered points at the the started switch get pretty hot. The same hotness as when I was soldering the wire as the wire itself was getting hot.

So my guess is that that hot temperature dislodges the wire from its soldered connection. The other ones seems to be holding up fine even though they run hot as well.

The question is, is it normal for those wires to run a bit hot or is there a short somewhere that makes it run hot? Could it be the time of solder used that is not withstanding the heat if the the wire's temperature is supposed to run a hot. However, my guess that it is probably not normal for it to be hot.

The only things that happened prior to it. Rear undertail light was switched. I didn't do the wiring. Everything seemed fine after that. Then I changed the right handlebar and in the process got that wire mentioned above to disconnect from the its soldering. Soldering was done and that's when I had problems even with the charging system. Seemed as my battery died one after another. I did some tests and changed the stator and rectifier after which multi meter was showing a good 13-14 Volt charge while bike was under load. However, after a few months new battery once again was dead and would not hold charge. I had it on a trickle charge for two days and it never stopped charging (flashing light becomes solid when it is complete on other batteries.) So that is when I took the whole wire harness off to make sure soldering was clean and proper. and noticed that it was still hot as i found out prior to that.

Shouldn't be normal to run hot on the wires, right? Perhaps it is the harness? I used multi meter on ever connection individually on that harness checking continuity. None showed any continuity more than once per each connection.
Any help of where to look next would be greatly appreciated.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)

Garage

Hi ,instead of continuity testing with Ohms, have you tried voltage drop testing (dynamically), just a little Taster here, but if you can have a look at Tracy Martin, Motorcycle Electrical Systems.
The Volt Drop Test www.motorcycleproject.com
post #11 of 15 Old 04-10-2017, 1:11 PM

I will have to learn more on how to perform the test. I am no expert. I learn as I go from a manual or internet. As I understand from the link, and also link on the same page about volt drop explained (http://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/volt_drop_explained.html), I will have to put the probes on the same ends of my harness but with a current going through them and check voltage, or perhaps I will even need to go further and check points between positive terminal of the battery and wires on the starter switch. The wire that was soldered several times the one that starter switch disengages to turn the headlights off to dedicate the battery to turning the engine. Thanks for the advice. I will keep digging.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-25-2017, 1:19 PM

So i did the voltage drop test. Perhaps someone can guide me to where to test exactly. Starter switch has 4 wires connected to it. Two for the starter and 2 for the low beam headlight. Once the button is pushed, connection goes from headlight to starter and upon release goes back to headlight.
In my case, headlight wires are pretty hot to touch and soldering is pretty much melting and disconnect the wire. Factory soldering seems to hold well.

Headlight wires are black/red and white. White wire goes directly to the headlight while black/red wire is the one that keeps disconnecting, goes to headlight relay which seems to be responsible for high beams. (I unplugged that relay and the low beam was still working)

So on black/red wire, i put one probe on the starter switch where it burns hot and another one on the other end of the wire before the connector. i got a reading of 104mV. The same reading is above the connector. And pretty much the same reading between the starter switch and the battery.

Questions:
1) Should those headlight wires in the starter switch be so damn hot to the touch?
2) Could it be that factory soldering is just design to be stronger?
3) Could it be the starter switch harness itself that causes it to burn hot?
4) Can headlight relay be bad that would cause wires hot?
5) Or is it time to just open harness and keep digging?

headlight works after I soldered it back, but it gets hot and solder doesn't hold the wire. Factory soldering is staying put.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-25-2017, 1:44 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Are these standard 55w bulbs and not 80, 100 or even 120 watt aftermarket bulbs?
post #14 of 15 Old 04-25-2017, 1:54 PM

To be honest, I don't know. I never changed them. They came with the bike. However, I didn't have any problems until I tried to take the handle bar off and by forcing starter switch assembly to slide of the wire came loose. I soldered it back but it would just get disconnected all the time. Brights, on the other hand work just fine.

Another thing that was done, not by me, tail lights were replaced with aftermarket assembly and so everything on that end was rewired and re-connected; however, break light and turn signals are all working fine.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-25-2017, 1:59 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

If a wire is hot to the touch, that is not a good sign. You need to figure out why it is hot. Either there is a short or something (i.e. bulbs) are drawing too much current.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page