Front turn signal help for new 929 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-12-2013, 2:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

Front turn signal help for new 929

Hey all, I recently picked up a salvage title '01 929 that was involved in a low-speed low-side. I'm piecing her back together and, of course, the last problem seems to be electrical.

The previous owner did a big no-no and cut the signal plugs off the sub-harness and main harness. He soldered a set of LED 2-wire signals on front and back. The back function since the lead is also 2-wire, but the front is 3-wire. He just left the extra wires hanging, uncapped. The fronts obviously didn't work so I just clipped them off. How can I remedy my fronts without buying a new sub-harness? I still have the LED fronts, if they can be salvaged...

Also, the brake light doesn't engage. I checked the clicker on the lever and it seems okay. The prongs and connectors look okay on the handle switch. I played with the tension on the foot brake sensor... still nothing. I have tail light, but no brake. Could this be caused by the front turn signals?

Also, I'll post some pics..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-12-2013, 2:36 AM Thread Starter

Re: Front turn signal help for new 929

post #3 of 14 Old 03-12-2013, 2:41 AM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-12-2013, 7:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

I could be wrong, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am, but I belieive the reason for your 3 wire front blinkers is because the fronts are normally on and function as running lights, and blink when you activate the turn signals. You need to figure out which wire is the signal wire ( I think it's solid blue on the right and solid orange on the left ) and wire it to the LED 's red wire. and connect the bikes ground wire ( I think it's green ) to the LED's black wire. You will not use the running light wire. Unlike incandescent bulbs, LED's will not work if you reverse the polarity. Good luck.

Last edited by fj1200rj; 03-12-2013 at 7:25 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-12-2013, 9:08 AM Thread Starter

Yes, that's correct. It is for the running lights. I just don't know how to proceed with my cut sub-harness. So the running light wire can be left unconnected?
post #6 of 14 Old 03-12-2013, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 113

That's all correct. Unless your new signals are designed to run on three wires (most aren't), you can just tape up the spare wire on your harness and forget about it.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-12-2013, 11:13 AM

Reputation Power: 7

Nice bike, how much did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking? It looks in great shape, was it already "rebuilt title" or "salvage title"? Reason I'm asking is because it already looks rebuilt!

The 3 wires for the front are GROUND, RUNNING, and TURN SIGNAL PULSE. LED's only usually come with 2 wires so he most likely only wired the LED's to GROUND and TURN SIGNAL PULSE and he left the running light wire not hooked up which is fine. I dont think it will pass inspection but its not going to hurt anything. Your LED's should still blink when the signal is turned on though.

The brake light problem I am not sure, did you try both the foot brake and the right handle front brake? If both dont work then the problem has to be in the taillight. Either you just need a new 2-filament bulb or the wire that give the taillight the "brake" signal may be disconnected. Check the bulb first, maybe just the filament blew.

These diagrams may help: https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...tml#post936535
post #8 of 14 Old 03-12-2013, 6:19 PM Thread Starter

I paid $2200 + $250 in storage fees while the bike was on lay away. There's a great place in ohio called racers edge which deals in mainly salvage and insurance repo bikes. It took me 5 months to pay off.

Here's my story: Toward the end of last summer, I hit a streak of bad luck and was robbed 3 times in 2 months at my previous house. First time they took my '06 600rr, second time a couple guitars and an amp, third time was my lawn mower. I got the guitars back from a pawn shop and helped catch the guy, but never heard anything about the bike or lawnmower ever again. No insurance compensation, either. At first I was crushed. My 600rr was my baby, my best friend and faithful companion. I clocked 20,000+ miles on that bike and it ran like it still had something to prove before it got stolen. I still have the only key to it...

I felt no want for any other bike. After a while, my sadness turned to anger, which I channeled into my job. I worked myself half to death, starved myself, basically lived as frugally as possible and started all over again. Then the 929 showed up on racersedge411.com and my heart leaped. The bike my dad wouldn't let me buy, the bike he sold out from under me for a loss, and here was one that no one seemed to want. I instantly fell in love with it, before I ever saw it in person. It didn't even run when I handed him the down payment.

I got her home, which cost me a speeding ticket in my truck because I was so excited to pick her up (I can't catch a break), and tore into it with new resolve. Torn fuel line, punctured radiator, and some minor things here and there. Replaced the line and radiator, and have been getting the fit and finish taken care of. So that's where I stand today, trying to get her ready to title and register. Older, wiser, more resolute.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-12-2013, 6:33 PM Thread Starter

929 walk around - YouTube
post #10 of 14 Old 03-15-2013, 1:17 AM Thread Starter

Okay, fixed the turn signals today. I wired in bullet terminals to the harness and bought LED short stalks. So now I have all 4 signals again.

The brake light problem, however, still hasn't been solved. I checked both bulbs, filaments look good, terminals look fine. I've already checked the switches, what else could it be? Is there a relay for it somewhere?

There's also a black two-wire plug under the seat by the fuse box, what is that for? It isn't connected to anything and it doesn't look like there's anything to plug it in to..

Thanks for all the help so far, I'll post pics of the new signals tomorrow.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-15-2013, 2:09 AM Thread Starter

Here's the pics, I thought they turned out pretty well. I had to remove the rubber boots on the fairings to get them to snug down, but it worked out. I like their angular shape, they look like little chisels or daggers.

The plug in question was the service connector plug, I'm dumb.

Last edited by Fuegoblade; 03-15-2013 at 3:08 AM.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-15-2013, 6:40 PM Thread Starter

Success! Sort of..

I bought a couple new bulbs for the tail light today, took the foot brake switch apart, chased all the wires, put it all back together again. All looks good.

So I've discovered that if I unplug the front brake switch (the prong connectors on the lever) I get normal tail light. Foot brake turns the brake light on now. When I plug the prongs back in, I get full-time brake light. I switched the prong connectors around, and I still get full-time brake light. I only get normal tail light with that little clicker switch unplugged.

So should I try buying a new clicker switch? Would he say anything about it during the inspection? Can I theoretically ride with just the foot brake light? Dangerous I know, I should probably just wait until I figure it out...

I'm so close, once this is fixed she's ready to register!
post #13 of 14 Old 03-15-2013, 6:43 PM

Reputation Power: 113

yeah your switched is pooched. I've ridden without the rear brake light switch lots (due to aftermarket rearsets etc), and actually kind of prefer it that way. I'd be hesitant about not having the front switch working though.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-15-2013, 7:18 PM Thread Starter

Far out. I need to order an new gasket for the LH cover anyway, I guess I'll add that to my cart as well. Might as well get a new filter and some repsol oil, too, since I'll be taking the cover off.

Just a couple more weeks and a couple more tweaks...
Motto for this year: Soar

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page