CBR900RR 1999 - Electrical problems? Help! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-17-2013, 4:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

CBR900RR 1999 - Electrical problems? Help!

Hi everybody, long time lurker first time poster.

My CBR900RR 1999 lost power on takeoff the other night all of a sudden and refused to start in the city. Called up the roadside service and was told that it had a flat battery (which I knew), but I had only replaced the battery 6 weeks prior. The multi meter test showed that the alternator was only giving out 10.7v and should have been giving out 13v apparently. I had the same symptoms with another bike of mine and it was the rectifier causing the trouble.

Does anybody have an idea as to what the problem may be? I have been googling like crazy and found pages saying that it could be the rectifier or the stator but I have no clue :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-17-2013, 5:19 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: CBR900RR 1999 - Electrical problems? Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusiast View Post
Hi everybody, long time lurker first time poster.

My CBR900RR 1999 lost power on takeoff the other night all of a sudden and refused to start in the city. Called up the roadside service and was told that it had a flat battery (which I knew), but I had only replaced the battery 6 weeks prior. The multi meter test showed that the alternator was only giving out 10.7v and should have been giving out 13v apparently. I had the same symptoms with another bike of mine and it was the rectifier causing the trouble.

Does anybody have an idea as to what the problem may be? I have been googling like crazy and found pages saying that it could be the rectifier or the stator but I have no clue :/
How much mileage does six weeks equate to?
The 10.7V you measured is not from the alternator, that is merely what is left in the flat battery. The charging system is not putting out any voltage at all.
Measure the AC voltage coming out of the three stator phases, they should be something 50-70VAC on each.
It's very uncommon for rectifiers to fail in my experience, it's generally either the stator or the regulator. The stator generates the voltage, the rectifier switches it from AC to DC, the regulator regulates how much voltage is sent to the battery and dumps the excess as heat.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 5 Old 03-17-2013, 5:24 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
How much mileage does six weeks equate to?
The 10.7V you measured is not from the alternator, that is merely what is left in the flat battery. The charging system is not putting out any voltage at all.
Measure the AC voltage coming out of the three stator phases, they should be something 50-70VAC on each.
It's very uncommon for rectifiers to fail in my experience, it's generally either the stator or the regulator. The stator generates the voltage, the rectifier switches it from AC to DC, the regulator regulates how much voltage is sent to the battery and dumps the excess as heat.
I would estimate that I clocked up approx 200km/week for the 6 weeks, used daily.

I'll make sure to take the aforementioned readings asap and report back.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-17-2013, 5:26 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusiast View Post
I would estimate that I clocked up approx 200km/week for the 6 weeks, used daily.

I'll make sure to take the aforementioned readings asap and report back.

Thanks.

If you did 1200kms then the stator clearly still had something left in it, doesn't sound like it does now though. Be sure to check the stator connector for melting or burning as well.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 5 Old 03-17-2013, 10:28 AM

Reputation Power: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
If you did 1200kms then the stator clearly still had something left in it, doesn't sound like it does now though. Be sure to check the stator connector for melting or burning as well.
200km

That would be possible on a new fully charged battery if the lights weren't used, but I doubt you'd get 10 starts (a week's worth of daily use?) out of one charge on the battery. Dunno, maybe it's possible if the bike is in good tune and the battery new and fresh??

Anyway, you now probably need another new battery. At least go charge the one you have full. Then test again the charging circuit. Probably a melted regulator as that's typical for older blades, could also be any of the connectors and or the stator. Standard stuff, you need to search the site this comes up too often to give detailed answers every time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page