900 rrw realy need help guys - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-22-2013, 3:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

900 rrw realy need help guys

Hi Everyone sorry to cover my bike again but im getting desperate now,i bought my blade after it had been standing for a few years and everything needed cleaning out because of rust,i ran the bike last summer it ran ok but not spot on,in the new year i tried to sart it and it was realy missfiring and not on all four so i did the shims and only one needed attention,tried to start it and it was just generally running rough popping and banging but once warm it was running ok,this week i had the carbs ultranic cleaned and they looked really good just like new i put them on and she fired up great,this morning she was on 3 with no1 cold and tonight she was on 3 with no 2 cold when run for 5 mins it runs better than ever but its got a slight popping i can hear out the exhaust and it will rev to the limiter no probs but hold it at 5k and it pops and bangs. is this a carb problem also will a set of 96 carbs go on a 99
thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-22-2013, 3:58 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 900 rrw realy need help guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by warloks38 View Post
Hi Everyone sorry to cover my bike again but im getting desperate now,i bought my blade after it had been standing for a few years and everything needed cleaning out because of rust,i ran the bike last summer it ran ok but not spot on,in the new year i tried to sart it and it was realy missfiring and not on all four so i did the shims and only one needed attention,tried to start it and it was just generally running rough popping and banging but once warm it was running ok,this week i had the carbs ultranic cleaned and they looked really good just like new i put them on and she fired up great,this morning she was on 3 with no1 cold and tonight she was on 3 with no 2 cold when run for 5 mins it runs better than ever but its got a slight popping i can hear out the exhaust and it will rev to the limiter no probs but hold it at 5k and it pops and bangs. is this a carb problem also will a set of 96 carbs go on a 99
thanks guys

Does starter fluid sprayed into the intakes get the dead cylinder firing?
Did you put new plugs in already?
The carbs were completely stripped when they were cleaned?
Is the vacuum line to the fuel tap dry?
RRW is a '98 model, not '99.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 15 Old 03-23-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

i put new plugs in last summer they have done about 600 miles,After going over everything today i decided to remove the plug of the cylinder that was not as hot as the rest.The plug was very wet and when i checked to see if the spark was good it was sparking all over not just on the tip i tried 2 more plugs and they were the same ,I had this problem last year with my bandit 1200,one day i would not start so i cleaned the plugs and it was fine till next day and it done the same again,I changed all the plugs and it fired up no problem for some reason every plug had given up,Im now thinking i have the same problem as i have compression,fuel,but no bangs.Maybe its because i start my bikes every week and never ride them and its fouling everything up,i have now ordered some iridium plugs so fingers crossed,i just cant get my head round why the plugs give up like they have an old fashion points system could overload the plugs but everything is solid state on the blade so what would overload the plugs when nothing is ajustable.Oh the fuel tap is new,carbs were stripped but not seperated,oh yes and it is an RRX model i have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
i put new plugs in last summer they have done about 600 miles,After going over everything today i decided to remove the plug of the cylinder that was not as hot as the rest.The plug was very wet and when i checked to see if the spark was good it was sparking all over not just on the tip i tried 2 more plugs and they were the same ,I had this problem last year with my bandit 1200,one day i would not start so i cleaned the plugs and it was fine till next day and it done the same again,I changed all the plugs and it fired up no problem for some reason every plug had given up,Im now thinking i have the same problem as i have compression,fuel,but no bangs.Maybe its because i start my bikes every week and never ride them and its fouling everything up,i have now ordered some iridium plugs so fingers crossed,i just cant get my head round why the plugs give up like they have an old fashion points system could overload the plugs but everything is solid state on the blade so what would overload the plugs when nothing is ajustable.Oh the fuel tap is new,carbs were stripped but not seperated,oh yes and it is an RRX model i have.

Were the float valves replaced, or at least checked that they do seal?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 15 Old 03-23-2013, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

yes float valves checked,and float height all were fine
post #6 of 15 Old 03-24-2013, 6:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 77

Can't offer much advice but wouldn't start up every week without warming it right through until the fan comes on at least. I would start once a month. Starting and not warming right threw will air water to the oil from condensation which needs to be burn off plus perhaps clog up plugs etc. hope you get the issue sorted though

Bike build Vblog latest Update
http://youtu.be/2ISgxtQXs9o

My 900RR Winter Project
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...er-revamp.html
post #7 of 15 Old 03-24-2013, 9:54 AM Thread Starter

Well if the new plugs don't do the trick then that's the end of the road for the old girl,the blade is probably the best bike ever made along with the VFR and I have to buy a dud one :-(( its going to be back to the gsxr brand which is what I'm used to
post #8 of 15 Old 03-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well if the new plugs don't do the trick then that's the end of the road for the old girl,the blade is probably the best bike ever made along with the VFR and I have to buy a dud one :-(( its going to be back to the gsxr brand which is what I'm used to

I would pull the carbs, hook up a fuel supply and confirm the float valves are actually stopping the flow of fuel.

post #9 of 15 Old 03-30-2013, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

well the new plugs are in and it runs like new,Im a very happy chappie :-)) only time will tell if the problem returns as soon as the snow clears i can give it a road test,I might book some dyno time to have the mixture checked and maybe a dyno jet kit fitted
post #10 of 15 Old 03-30-2013, 7:55 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
well the new plugs are in and it runs like new,Im a very happy chappie :-)) only time will tell if the problem returns as soon as the snow clears i can give it a road test,I might book some dyno time to have the mixture checked and maybe a dyno jet kit fitted

Did you check that the float valves are shutting off fuel delivery?
If they foul again then that would be my diagnosis.

post #11 of 15 Old 03-31-2013, 1:57 PM Thread Starter

i turned the carbs upside down so the weight of the floats were on the valves and i used a syringe to compress the air in the fuel line,i checked the float heights and they checked out the air test worked as well,i did the air test on the advice of my local honda dealer,they told me they have never replaced float valves on any blade they have had in for repair/service as it seems they never need replacement its only fuel tank debris that causes problems
post #12 of 15 Old 03-31-2013, 2:01 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
i turned the carbs upside down so the weight of the floats were on the valves and i used a syringe to compress the air in the fuel line,i checked the float heights and they checked out the air test worked as well,i did the air test on the advice of my local honda dealer,they told me they have never replaced float valves on any blade they have had in for repair/service as it seems they never need replacement its only fuel tank debris that causes problems

Did you test them with fuel though?
Connect a fuel supply and confirm that the bowls fill and then fuel flow stops. Then tilt them in various directions until they leak, then back to vertical to ensure they shut off everytime.

post #13 of 15 Old 03-31-2013, 2:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Did you test them with fuel though?
Connect a fuel supply and confirm that the bowls fill and then fuel flow stops. Then tilt them in various directions until they leak, then back to vertical to ensure they shut off everytime.
A very good idea but i really cant have fuel pouring all over the place and at nearly 6 a gallon here in the uk its not a cheap test to do
post #14 of 15 Old 03-31-2013, 2:10 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
A very good idea but i really cant have fuel pouring all over the place and at nearly 6 a gallon here in the uk its not a cheap test to do

You won't spill more than a few teaspoons of fuel, and you can catch that in a tray. I would think the few pence spent on fuel would be _far_ cheaper than other, more involved diagnostics tests.

post #15 of 15 Old 03-31-2013, 2:23 PM Thread Starter

anyway blade when i had the carbs ultrasonic cleaned they had to change the solution in the tank where there was so much rust in my carbs,Im assuming that the issue i had was exactly what you said about the valves not sealing properly but i think this was due to the rusty powder in the float chambers,the old girl has never run so good now im going to get out on it tomorrow the temp has gone up to a scorching 3 degrees centigrade today and its only snowed very lightly today this time last year it was 20 degrees,dont you just hate global warming

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page