brake rotor normal? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-23-2013, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

brake rotor normal?

hey everyone, i recently purchased these arashi rotors about a month ago. i did not use new pads because the ones i had still had plenty of life left and new ones cost over $100 here. i just sanded them to freshen them up and put them back on. when i first used the brakes and parked the bike i realized the pads were only making contact on the both edges of the rotor (front right was warped), it made a dark gray line and the middle part of the rotor was untouched, gradually more and more contact was being made when the pads were bedding in and becoming flat. when I look at the rotor now i can see that the edge is dark gray possibly from over heating because heat was not dispersed throughout the whole rotor surface? the front left one looks normal i guess because the rotor was not warped and the pad was worn flat from the beginning. I don't think that this is bluing, i just think that the pad was rubbing harder in that area because it was not flat from the old warped rotor. I don't notice any shuddering or pulsing, does the pic look normal to you guys? sorry for the long story, i'm just really get worried about small things
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1387.jpg‎  

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a bike, and that's pretty damn close"

Last edited by rdeuvletian; 03-23-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: brake rotor normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeuvletian View Post
hey everyone, i recently purchased these arashi rotors about a month ago. i did not use new pads because the ones i had still had plenty of life left and new ones cost over $100 here. i just sanded them to freshen them up and put them back on. when i first used the brakes and parked the bike i realized the pads were only making contact on the both edges of the rotor (front right was warped), it made a dark gray line and the middle part of the rotor was untouched, gradually more and more contact was being made when the pads were bedding in and becoming flat (previous rotors were warped). when I look at the rotor now i can see that the edge is dark gray possibly from over heating because heat was not dispersed throughout the whole rotor surface? the front left one looks normal i guess because the rotor was not warped and the pad was worn flat from the beginning. I don't think that this is bluing, i just think that the pad war rubbing harder in that area because it was not flat from the old warped rotor. I don't notice any shuddering or pulsing, does the pic look normal to you guys? sorry for the long story, i'm just really get worried about small things

Doesn't look like they're getting too hot.
Does the wheel spin okay when the discs are hot?
Did you clean the pistons before pushing them into the calipers?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 7 Old 03-23-2013, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

well when they are cold i can give it a hard push and will will go about one or one and a half turns no problem. after breaking hard when i touch them they don't seem to be very hot but i didn't try spinning them when hot. it is easy to coast the bike after having a ride, the brakes don't seem to be grabbing. yes, i cleaned the pistons and gave them a nice scrub with a toothbrush does that dark gray part on the outer edge seem normal to you?

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a bike, and that's pretty damn close"

Last edited by rdeuvletian; 03-24-2013 at 9:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 9:56 AM Thread Starter

Any input Bladeracer?

post #5 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 9:58 AM
Global Moderator

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Any input Bladeracer?

They look fine to me.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the help. Btw, sorry if this is not the right place for this but i have a highmount exhaust and where the pipe goes from 2-1 the pipe leaks a little and causes a rattle sound when taking off in first gear. Any way i can resolve this?

post #7 of 7 Old 03-09-2014, 4:29 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the help. Btw, sorry if this is not the right place for this but i have a highmount exhaust and where the pipe goes from 2-1 the pipe leaks a little and causes a rattle sound when taking off in first gear. Any way i can resolve this?
Welding it. Or thats what i did whit my Devil highmount. You probably allready cut the midpipe so it's useless whit any other muffler.

edit. OOPS! Didn't look how old the thread was.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page