Bike jerk when its on red line - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 03-26-2013, 6:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Bike jerk when its on red line

I have 2001 honda cbr 929 rr. I both off friend and i wan to know what it can be when i red line it, i belive it my 3 gear it start jerk and its about 11rpm and 12rpm. I do have power commenter 3 but i total dont know what maps it has or any think about. I have crush it 1 time but noting big i had to replace radiator and i drop it or what ever when i was going around 30 -40 and bike slide for good 20 meets. But when im riding like not red line it it works perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-26-2013, 7:20 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Re: Bike jerk when its on red line

Hard to read post but I'm pretty sure your hitting your rev limiter. It will cut out your ignition so it would feel like it's missing or jerking.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-26-2013, 8:06 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrudog View Post
I have 2001 honda cbr 929 rr. I both off friend and i wan to know what it can be when i red line it, i belive it my 3 gear it start jerk and its about 11rpm and 12rpm. I do have power commenter 3 but i total dont know what maps it has or any think about. I have crush it 1 time but noting big i had to replace radiator and i drop it or what ever when i was going around 30 -40 and bike slide for good 20 meets. But when im riding like not red line it it works perfect.
Doctor, when I do *this* it hurts! What should I do?
Stopping doing *that*.

Seriously, you shouldn't be on the redline anyway, change gear. Unless you're already in 6th, then get off the public highway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-26-2013, 8:11 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Here's a random google 929 dyno chart. You'll see peak power is at 11k, so holding on til 12k doesn't get you anything:
post #5 of 20 Old 03-27-2013, 5:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Quote:
Continue to hold it at redline, it will eventually stop jerking altogether.

Last edited by fj1200rj; 03-27-2013 at 8:13 AM.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-27-2013, 6:08 AM

Reputation Power: 113

Change out the internals of the engine (new con rods and pistons), and a different ECU that allows for a higher redline. Then it'll do the EXACT same thing, only at 12,000 instead of 11,000. The rev limiter is there for a reason - to stop behaviour like this damaging the engine.

You'll get better results if you change up 500-1000 rpm before the redline - it's a very common misconception that higher revs = faster acceleration.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-27-2013, 9:49 AM

Why am I seeing so many posters with 1 post ask so many stupid questions, and then get the obvious answer from you guys to this ridiculous question. Me thinks there are TROLLS on this site, frequently, like several times a day. Anyone else notice this. Here, without introduction, the OP ask why his bike cuts out when he hits the rev limiter..........HELLO, dose he (or she) actually ride a sportbike or just troll sites and ask stupid questions. Gets old going to the trouble reading this crap. I don't believe this was a legitimate question for a minute...........
post #8 of 20 Old 03-27-2013, 9:54 AM

Reputation Power: 113

There's always trolls, but there's a lot more people who don't even know what common sense is, never mind how to apply it.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-27-2013, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus266 View Post
Why am I seeing so many posters with 1 post ask so many stupid questions, and then get the obvious answer from you guys to this ridiculous question. Me thinks there are TROLLS on this site, frequently, like several times a day. Anyone else notice this. Here, without introduction, the OP ask why his bike cuts out when he hits the rev limiter..........HELLO, dose he (or she) actually ride a sportbike or just troll sites and ask stupid questions. Gets old going to the trouble reading this crap. I don't believe this was a legitimate question for a minute...........
That's my thought too. I saw this stupid thread yesterday, and my first reaction was, "It's called a rev limiter dumbdumb- and if you have to ask why it cuts out, maybe you shouldn't be riding anything with an engine".
post #10 of 20 Old 03-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Global Moderator

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
That's my thought too. I saw this stupid thread yesterday, and my first reaction was, "It's called a rev limiter dumbdumb- and if you have to ask why it cuts out, maybe you shouldn't be riding anything with an engine".

My suggestion would be to disable the rev limiter and see if it still jerks around ;-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #11 of 20 Old 03-27-2013, 8:15 PM Thread Starter

No im not trolling and i ask cuz i dont know if MAPing on my bike whit Power commander is working good sin i have no comment about it from preview owner but that is make alot off sens. And i thot that there is a senser that cut off the fuel when it hits red line. And sorry for miss spelling alot
post #12 of 20 Old 03-28-2013, 5:21 AM
Global Moderator

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
No im not trolling and i ask cuz i dont know if MAPing on my bike whit Power commander is working good sin i have no comment about it from preview owner but that is make alot off sens. And i thot that there is a senser that cut off the fuel when it hits red line. And sorry for miss spelling alot

If your PC has ignition mapping ability then you could check that it isn't running any ignition mapping.
The rev limiter cuts spark and fuel, but not necessarily at redline. The limiter is generally a little past redline, and the OEM tachometers are optimistic to begin with.
The limiter is not an engine brake though. It won't prevent the engine from revving well past redline if you shift down at redline, or if you crack the throttle open in neutral as the inertia of the crankshaft will keep it accelerating even though the spark is cut.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #13 of 20 Old 03-28-2013, 7:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Wow - that was harsh, huh?
I must have had piss in my wheaties.
Sorry.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-28-2013, 11:40 PM

Reputation Power: 59

Quote:
Rev limiters do not work to the sense of "Shut the bike off". They literally hold you at a safe limit, and do not let you (unless by other physical forces) go past that line.

We call what you are doing "Bouncing off the rev limiter", it causes that "jerking" motion.

James Taylor
post #15 of 20 Old 03-29-2013, 10:33 AM

Reputation Power: 25

How high do you expect this bike to wind up?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in