Mechanics/Techs please come in.. Crankshaft Balancer - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-28-2013, 9:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Mechanics/Techs please come in.. Crankshaft Balancer

Hey everybody pretty sweet forum you guys and girls are running here.

I recently bought a CBR 1000 Repsol Edition from my uncle and have enjoyed every second of it, this isn't my first bike but definitely the most powerful.

I have a problem, I got hit by a drunk driver on my way home one night from a bar ( I never drink and drive the bike I was just meeting some friends for some pool ) the bike never laid over thank god but the truck hit me right on the STATOR ( alternator cover ) and cracked the bottom half of the block.

Needless to say I pulled the motor out of the bike and ordered the bottom half of my motor ( Lower Crank Case cover ) I pulled everything apart making sure to mark and put bolts and whatnot in baggies so I knew exactly what they went too. Well I got it all back together and now I notice its knocking and I know EXACTLY what it is.

Now for my question... Crank Shaft Balancer.. When I removed it from the old ( broken crank case ) and put it it in the new one I noticed it was free spinning, I didn't even think to see where it was when It was bolted in the old crank case because well.. I have never pulled a motor apart before in my life. Other than that everything went back together smooth as butter without any mishaps. I think I know for a fact the balancer is the problem because I assume its HITTING on the side of my crank shaft ( Possibly ) or hitting something else because it wasn't put back in right.

So I have been reading up on the whole "adjusting the crank shaft balancer" on the side of the block by turning the shaft Clockwise and CounterClockwise but I havent actually tried this solution yet based on the sole purpose that when I had the actual motor apart and seeing how its actually put together I don't possibly see how turning the shaft could actually help my situation.

When putting the bottom half of the crank case back on the top half of the crank case ( with pistons and rods ect in it ) was I supposed to put the crank shaft balancer at a certain angle when I stuck them back together or is really as simple as turning the little shaft on the side to adjust it back to where its supposed to be?

Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks to anyone who can help me.

Edit- I should also say its strange that It only does it every now and then sometimes it will stop knocking for 5-10 seconds. If standing on the bike in neutral and i slightly lean it over the knocking completely stops until I stand the bike up vertical again.

Now, If I have to take the motor back off the bike and go through it again thats no problem to me, I actually enjoyed taking it completely apart but id rather not if its something so simple as adjusting the balancer from the outside.

Last edited by EnIgMa; 03-28-2013 at 9:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-29-2013, 1:33 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Mechanics/Techs please come in.. Crankshaft Balancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnIgMa View Post
Hey everybody pretty sweet forum you guys and girls are running here.

I recently bought a CBR 1000 Repsol Edition from my uncle and have enjoyed every second of it, this isn't my first bike but definitely the most powerful.

I have a problem, I got hit by a drunk driver on my way home one night from a bar ( I never drink and drive the bike I was just meeting some friends for some pool ) the bike never laid over thank god but the truck hit me right on the STATOR ( alternator cover ) and cracked the bottom half of the block.

Needless to say I pulled the motor out of the bike and ordered the bottom half of my motor ( Lower Crank Case cover ) I pulled everything apart making sure to mark and put bolts and whatnot in baggies so I knew exactly what they went too. Well I got it all back together and now I notice its knocking and I know EXACTLY what it is.

Now for my question... Crank Shaft Balancer.. When I removed it from the old ( broken crank case ) and put it it in the new one I noticed it was free spinning, I didn't even think to see where it was when It was bolted in the old crank case because well.. I have never pulled a motor apart before in my life. Other than that everything went back together smooth as butter without any mishaps. I think I know for a fact the balancer is the problem because I assume its HITTING on the side of my crank shaft ( Possibly ) or hitting something else because it wasn't put back in right.

So I have been reading up on the whole "adjusting the crank shaft balancer" on the side of the block by turning the shaft Clockwise and CounterClockwise but I havent actually tried this solution yet based on the sole purpose that when I had the actual motor apart and seeing how its actually put together I don't possibly see how turning the shaft could actually help my situation.

When putting the bottom half of the crank case back on the top half of the crank case ( with pistons and rods ect in it ) was I supposed to put the crank shaft balancer at a certain angle when I stuck them back together or is really as simple as turning the little shaft on the side to adjust it back to where its supposed to be?

Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks to anyone who can help me.

Edit- I should also say its strange that It only does it every now and then sometimes it will stop knocking for 5-10 seconds. If standing on the bike in neutral and i slightly lean it over the knocking completely stops until I stand the bike up vertical again.

Now, If I have to take the motor back off the bike and go through it again thats no problem to me, I actually enjoyed taking it completely apart but id rather not if its something so simple as adjusting the balancer from the outside.

Which model of 1000RR are we looking at?
Yes, the balancer has to be timed to the crankshaft, that's how it works.
Surely you were referring to the manual when you put the engine together?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 6 Old 03-29-2013, 3:31 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

My apologies it's a 2005. I didn't refer to any manual, I probably should have but everything is torqued to specs. Im sure I didn't get the balancer back on correctly, so Is it possible to fix it via adjustment or do I need to pull the motor again? If that's the case does anyone know where it actually needs to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-29-2013, 3:36 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnIgMa View Post
My apologies it's a 2005. I didn't refer to any manual, I probably should have but everything is torqued to specs. Im sure I didn't get the balancer back on correctly, so Is it possible to fix it via adjustment or do I need to pull the motor again? If that's the case does anyone know where it actually needs to be?

I'm not aware of any way to alter its position without splitting the cases.
You mentioned that you ordered a lower case half, since the cases are a matched set I assume you mean you used a secondhand lower half of another engine? Mixing the crankcase halves does require a degree of experience to ensure the main bearing oil clearances are correct. Do you have the bearing codes from the donor engine?

Get a manual before you strip the engine again, it not only shows you the timing marks for the balancer, but also lots of other important details you need to check when building an engine. I would suggest you get the Haynes manual rather than the OEM manual as it includes tips aimed at less-experienced DIYers.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 6 Old 03-29-2013, 3:40 AM
Global Moderator

Do you also know if the donor engine was parted out because it suffered some sort of failure?

post #6 of 6 Old 03-29-2013, 8:32 AM

Reputation Power: 78

Major faux pas!

Mixing case halves like Blade said is already a bad idea, but to blindly re-use the bearings is silly.

You need to pull apart the motor and measure all your journal oil clearances with plastigauge. If they're not good, you're kind of out of luck since the bearing code stamped into the case will only apply to half of it, cases are line-honed at assembly at the factory.

Also, there's approx 20 bolts that are one-time use since they're torqued beyond yield to create the proper tension in the bolt...really dont want to re-use them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page