Worried I have overfilled oil - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-22-2013, 9:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Worried I have overfilled oil

Hi Guys,

I serviced my new blade at the weekend and gave her an oil and filter change. The only thing is now I'm worried I've overfilled the oil

Looking at the measurements on the bottle of oil I think we put in just under 4 litres - probably 3.9 or something. Basically we warmed her up then drained the old oil. Filled up about 3.5 litres and then started her up for a few minutes, turned off and checked sight glass. We then topped up from there and kept repeating that process until oil could be seen in the sight glass. We continued the process until the level was just below the top line (as per Haynes Manual). Once I'd finished servicing her I went out for a spirited ride for a couple of hours.

I then checked the oil again last night after she had been sat all day and it seems to be above the top line and nearer to the top of the sight glass!

I'm now worried if I've overfilled it and if I've done any damage to the engine. I really don't fancy removing all the fairing to get to the plug just to drain a little so thought about putting a little pipett in the filler hole and sucking some up that way.

Do you guys think it's worth draining a little and would you say I should just stop worrying? I should mention she rides and runs perfectly fine.

Thanks,

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-22-2013, 9:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 113

Re: Worried I have overfilled oil

Did you check the level with the bike standing vertically, or on the sidestand? If you filled it to the line when the bike was on the sidestand, you've overfilled it.

Straight oil change should be about ~3 litres, or ~3.3 with a filter.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-22-2013, 9:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post
Did you check the level with the bike level, or on the sidestand? If you filled it to the line when the bike was on the sidestand, you've overfilled it.

Straight oil change should be about ~3 litres, or ~3.3 with a filter.
Nope we checked the oil with the bike level not on the sidestand. For some reason I thought it was 3.7 litres with a filter change. Guess I might have overfilled it then, what do you think to draining some out by the filler hole? Am I likely to have done any lasting damage? It's wierd because we got the measurement perfect with the bike vertical. I'm guessing when left overnight all the oil including any old stuff that was stuck in there has come to the bottom of the pan.

Thanks,

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-22-2013, 9:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

I don't think there is any issue with overfilling if you can see the level. It's when there is so much you can't tell the level that you're more likely to have a problem.

That having been said, no harm in taking a few ccs out through the drain plug if you're concerned.

The important thing is, don't sweat it. Everything is OK. Nothing's broken! Turn down the OCD a bit, LOL

Last edited by ghbzorro; 04-22-2013 at 9:38 AM.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-22-2013, 10:26 AM

Reputation Power: 0

post #6 of 16 Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbzorro View Post
I don't think there is any issue with overfilling if you can see the level. It's when there is so much you can't tell the level that you're more likely to have a problem.

That having been said, no harm in taking a few ccs out through the drain plug if you're concerned.

The important thing is, don't sweat it. Everything is OK. Nothing's broken! Turn down the OCD a bit, LOL
Ok thanks - that reassures me a little I might see if I take a little bit out via the filling hole if possible.

Cheers

Alex
post #7 of 16 Old 04-22-2013, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 77

as well as level was the bike on a flat surface? Ive noticed when on a paddock stand effects the level needs to be both wheel on the ground and vertical.

You could blow some oil seals with too much oil but if you can see the top level its close, I would just take a little out, try a syringe to remove some with a rubber hose on if you cant be bothered to remove panels? They do them for brake bleeding perfect for this just dont lose the end in the engine!!

Bike build Vblog latest Update
http://youtu.be/2ISgxtQXs9o

My 900RR Winter Project
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...er-revamp.html
post #8 of 16 Old 04-22-2013, 10:45 PM

It wont hurt anything being half quart over, just drain it out. I bought my 954RR 2 weeks ago and it smoked at start up and under high rpms. After getting home I found the previous owner filled it on the side stand so it was a quart over, after draining the quart it was good to go.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-23-2013, 12:22 AM

Reputation Power: 17

You can remove some oil pretty easy with a siphon. I overfilled my 929 once, and it was running a little different...I siphoned some oil out of the top plug, was kinda messy, but did the job, and got the oil back down to level I like (between both lines when bike is standing straight up)..and it ran better..or how I like it. I notice it affected the temperature being over filled a half quart or so.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-23-2013, 2:22 AM

Just remove the filter, pour the oil out of the filter and put it back. Easy way to remove some extra oil.

-tom-
post #11 of 16 Old 03-23-2017, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex350r View Post
Hi Guys,

I serviced my new blade at the weekend and gave her an oil and filter change. The only thing is now I'm worried I've overfilled the oil

Looking at the measurements on the bottle of oil I think we put in just under 4 litres - probably 3.9 or something. Basically we warmed her up then drained the old oil. Filled up about 3.5 litres and then started her up for a few minutes, turned off and checked sight glass. We then topped up from there and kept repeating that process until oil could be seen in the sight glass. We continued the process until the level was just below the top line (as per Haynes Manual). Once I'd finished servicing her I went out for a spirited ride for a couple of hours.

I then checked the oil again last night after she had been sat all day and it seems to be above the top line and nearer to the top of the sight glass!

I'm now worried if I've overfilled it and if I've done any damage to the engine. I really don't fancy removing all the fairing to get to the plug just to drain a little so thought about putting a little pipett in the filler hole and sucking some up that way.

Do you guys think it's worth draining a little and would you say I should just stop worrying? I should mention she rides and runs perfectly fine.

Thanks,

Alex
if you leftit over night the level would not have been a correct reading?need to be warmed up then let to settle for 5 odd mins..sorry to drag yet another old post up ,ive just filled mine up and a little worried about level myself as ive gone over th3e upper mark but have a gap ,only filled 3.3litres due to some old oil remaining ive been told..also been told this wont hurt as there is wiggle room on exact amount
post #12 of 16 Old 03-23-2017, 11:46 AM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 56

dude this thread is almost 4 years old

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #13 of 16 Old 03-23-2017, 2:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unslow1 View Post
dude this thread is almost 4 years old
About as old as my oil then nah i thought rather than have yet another oil related post id actually search and comment on this.
unslow1 likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-23-2017, 8:46 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Suck a little out of the filler hole and get on with it.

post #15 of 16 Old 03-23-2017, 8:48 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

I'm pretty sure almost four years later it is a non-issue.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page