Fuel lines and neutral switch - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-05-2013, 3:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Fuel lines and neutral switch

Hi hoping someone can help me with several problems which are all related. My problem is having a work place accident and stuffing up my shoulder I havent been able to ride my 1996 cbrr900rt for 3 years. I have decided to get it going and bought a new battery cleaned the air filter and she started fine, Then I noticed petrol leaking from the bike from the hose coming from on top of the carbies which goes from left to right around air cleaner then goes in a 90 degree bend then stops. There is a spare breather? at the back of the tank so I thought in my wisdom that maybe thats where the hose should be connected to. I came to start the bike today after charging and installing the new battery and it wouldn't kick over. I noticed the the neutral light did not come on. I removed the tank thinking I may have broken the wire and noticed the tank was empty. I removed the wire from the sender , shorted it and neutral light came on so I pulled the sender out to check it and petrol poured out from the switch. What have I done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-05-2013, 8:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Re: Fuel lines and neutral switch

After 3 years your old gas is lumpy excrement. Remove and clean carbs and gas tank and all fuel lines.

Check your shop manual (you have one, right?) to change the connections back to the way they were, so that they are correctly connected.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-05-2013, 8:39 AM Thread Starter

G'day GH. It was fresh fuel. Tank was drained years ago. No I don't have a shop manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-05-2013, 8:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

so it's time to get one.

happy to hear that it was all clean and dry during layup.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-05-2013, 8:52 AM Thread Starter

It still doesn't answer my question why petrol leaked from tank to inside motor/gearbox where neutral sender screws into
post #6 of 10 Old 05-06-2013, 3:03 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson690 View Post
It still doesn't answer my question why petrol leaked from tank to inside motor/gearbox where neutral sender screws into

My guess is that your float valves are stuck open and fuel is flooding straight through the cylinders into the engine.
Check your oil level.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Last edited by bladeracer; 05-08-2013 at 6:14 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-08-2013, 6:07 AM Thread Starter

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. My oil is full of petrol and like water. I have drained it added new oil but have not reconnected the tank as yet. Checking the needle and seat (float levels) was going to be my next project. Who would have thought that 8l of petrol would have leaked into the motor over 36 hours
post #8 of 10 Old 05-08-2013, 6:20 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson690 View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. My oil is full of petrol and like water. I have drained it added new oil but have not reconnected the tank as yet. Checking the needle and seat (float levels) was going to be my next project. Who would have thought that 8l of petrol would have leaked into the motor over 36 hours

I can tell you that your engine will be spotless inside now - it's actually quite nice stripping an engine that's had a gutfull of fuel just because everything is so clean :-)
When you pull the carbs off, connect fuel to them, hold them as they would be positioned on the bike and see if they leak. Then tilt them in each direction until they do leak, then back to level and confirm they stop leaking. In near-twenty-year-old carbs I would just replace them.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #9 of 10 Old 05-08-2013, 6:25 AM Thread Starter

Thank you will do and let you know the outcome
post #10 of 10 Old 06-08-2016, 1:43 PM

Did you find and fix the cause of this?

I have just had exactly the same experience.

Update- My bike had also been laid up for a few years, and I had the exact same issue with the neutral switch / light, and a petrol / oil mix flooded out when I removed the neutral switch too.

I had cleaned the carbs and got it running again, but looking around the forums and elsewhere it seemed the cause was likely to be a stuck float / float valve. I took my carbs apart and re-cleaned them again and noticed that the plunger in the valve on 2 of the carbs was stuck and did not depress. A bit of carb cleaner and force and they now spring up and down again.

I put the bike back together, drained the oil and put fuel in the tank with the tap on, and the sump plug out, and left overnight.

No fuel had leaked overnight so hopefully this has resolved the issue.

Last edited by GaryP; 06-13-2016 at 6:21 AM. Reason: Update

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page