97 CBR900, Coolant in oil.. Helpppp - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-05-2013, 8:43 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-04-2013
Location: Vernon, BC
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
97 CBR900, Coolant in oil.. Helpppp

Hi all,

got a 97 CBR900 with the 919 engine. Just bought the bike back from a buddy after it sat for the last 3 years without running.. Soo i decided to fire it up n what not.. Fired it up, seems to run ok. Now after i turned it off i decided to check the oil and do a change cause of how long it was sitting for.

Went ahead with the oil change, and low and behold.. I have coolant in my oil..

So ive checked pretty much everything and cant find a noticeable leak, or where the coolant would be getting into the oil.

Ive checked the coolant (did a flush to check for oil) not a drop in it, looks pristine.

Checked the spark plugs for moisture, they are dry ( so no blown head gasket)

I put fresh oil in, ran it again, and again, it looks like coolant has made its way back into the oil...

Now i let the bike warm up, and no white smoke out the pipe ( yet another sign it would be a head gasket if it was white)

Ive read that it could be a water pump. So i pulled this off, and nothing from the telltale hole or weeper hole.. I even pressurized the cooling system with it out of the engine and didnt notice any fluid...

Now after reading for hours online, ive seen it could be the Oil cooler oring causing the leak.. Anyone heard of this?

Im at the point now that i am going to change the o-ring, but i really dont want to waste another 4L of coolant and oil to to have this not be the issue.

Does anyone at all have a clue what would be causing the leak or had similar issue?? Please help
xxxspawnxxx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 05-06-2013, 2:39 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 97 CBR900, Coolant in oil.. Helpppp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxspawnxxx View Post
Hi all,

got a 97 CBR900 with the 919 engine. Just bought the bike back from a buddy after it sat for the last 3 years without running.. Soo i decided to fire it up n what not.. Fired it up, seems to run ok. Now after i turned it off i decided to check the oil and do a change cause of how long it was sitting for.

Went ahead with the oil change, and low and behold.. I have coolant in my oil..

So ive checked pretty much everything and cant find a noticeable leak, or where the coolant would be getting into the oil.

Ive checked the coolant (did a flush to check for oil) not a drop in it, looks pristine.

Checked the spark plugs for moisture, they are dry ( so no blown head gasket)

I put fresh oil in, ran it again, and again, it looks like coolant has made its way back into the oil...

Now i let the bike warm up, and no white smoke out the pipe ( yet another sign it would be a head gasket if it was white)

Ive read that it could be a water pump. So i pulled this off, and nothing from the telltale hole or weeper hole.. I even pressurized the cooling system with it out of the engine and didnt notice any fluid...

Now after reading for hours online, ive seen it could be the Oil cooler oring causing the leak.. Anyone heard of this?

Im at the point now that i am going to change the o-ring, but i really dont want to waste another 4L of coolant and oil to to have this not be the issue.

Does anyone at all have a clue what would be causing the leak or had similar issue?? Please help

Is it actually losing coolant from the radiator?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 05-06-2013, 2:50 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-04-2013
Location: Vernon, BC
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 97 CBR900, Coolant in oil.. Helpppp

It doesnt look that way.. But when i run the bike for 5-10 mins, it starts to get a slight knock, and then it decides that it wants to stop running.. if i keep the rpm's up a little bit it stay running, but then once the rpms start to get low it stalls out.
xxxspawnxxx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 Old 05-06-2013, 2:52 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 97 CBR900, Coolant in oil.. Helpppp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxspawnxxx View Post
It doesnt look that way.. But when i run the bike for 5-10 mins, it starts to get a slight knock, and then it decides that it wants to stop running.. if i keep the rpm's up a little bit it stay running, but then once the rpms start to get low it stalls out.

Maybe the idle is set too low?
Is it definately coolant and not just condensation from sitting?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 05-06-2013, 2:54 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-04-2013
Location: Vernon, BC
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 97 CBR900, Coolant in oil.. Helpppp

I turned up the idle. It will sometimes sit and idle nicely, then it will just stall.. And i thought maybe that was the case, but put the old oil in a clear container and let it sit for a few hours, there was green liquid on the bottom of it. So thats why i thought coolant.. Im leaning towards just picking up a jar of the "Pelletized Stop Leak" It says it "Helps to seal internal, external and coolant-to-oil leaks with coolant applications"
xxxspawnxxx is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 05-06-2013, 2:57 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 97 CBR900, Coolant in oil.. Helpppp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxspawnxxx View Post
I turned up the idle. It will sometimes sit and idle nicely, then it will just stall.. And i thought maybe that was the case, but put the old oil in a clear container and let it sit for a few hours, there was green liquid on the bottom of it. So thats why i thought coolant.. Im leaning towards just picking up a jar of the "Pelletized Stop Leak" It says it "Helps to seal internal, external and coolant-to-oil leaks with coolant applications"
First you need to determine that the radiator is actually putting coolant into the crankcase. It may be residue from an old problem that wasn't cleaned out properly.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 05-06-2013, 3:07 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-04-2013
Location: Vernon, BC
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 97 CBR900, Coolant in oil.. Helpppp

Well when i pressurized the system with 30PSI (might have been to much) i didnt notice any leaks, or that the pressure was really dropping.. i think it dropped a little bit, but when i did this i had the water pump out of the engine to see if anything leaked past it.. But after i swapped out the old oil, i put in fresh oil, and ran it again. The fresh oil looked just about as dirty.I ran out of clear containers so i put some of the oil into a pop bottle and cant seem to see rad fluid. Ive also pulled the oil cooler off to check that o-ring, but that wouldn't really make sense as to how coolant go into the oil past that.. Should i just put that stop leak stuff in, some fresh oil and see what happens?

Im just thinking of doing it anyways instead of going through another 4L of oil to find out that its still leaking.

When you said "It may be residue from an old problem that wasn't cleaned out properly." What old problem could it possible be? I owned the bike about 4 years back, ran great, no leaks, oil looked fine. Sold it to a buddy, he did a few things to it, cleaned the carbs, adjusted the valves, and thats about it. He sold it to someone else who had it sitting outside for a bit(not in the winter). But the bike was then put inside and didnt run for almost 3 years..
xxxspawnxxx is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 05-06-2013, 3:11 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 97 CBR900, Coolant in oil.. Helpppp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxspawnxxx View Post
Well when i pressurized the system with 30PSI (might have been to much) i didnt notice any leaks, or that the pressure was really dropping.. i think it dropped a little bit, but when i did this i had the water pump out of the engine to see if anything leaked past it.. But after i swapped out the old oil, i put in fresh oil, and ran it again. The fresh oil looked just about as dirty.I ran out of clear containers so i put some of the oil into a pop bottle and cant seem to see rad fluid. Ive also pulled the oil cooler off to check that o-ring, but that wouldn't really make sense as to how coolant go into the oil past that.. Should i just put that stop leak stuff in, some fresh oil and see what happens?

Im just thinking of doing it anyways instead of going through another 4L of oil to find out that its still leaking.

When you said "It may be residue from an old problem that wasn't cleaned out properly." What old problem could it possible be? I owned the bike about 4 years back, ran great, no leaks, oil looked fine. Sold it to a buddy, he did a few things to it, cleaned the carbs, adjusted the valves, and thats about it. He sold it to someone else who had it sitting outside for a bit(not in the winter). But the bike was then put inside and didnt run for almost 3 years..

I'm not a fan of putting anything in there that isn't supposed to be in there.
If the cooling system holds 30psi then I doubt you have a problem. The radiator cap blows at about half that pressure.
The "problem" could be as simple as somebody accidently spilling some coolant into the oil filler.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 05-06-2013, 3:13 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-04-2013
Location: Vernon, BC
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 97 CBR900, Coolant in oil.. Helpppp

Hmm that is a good point.. Well i guess ill put some more fresh oil in, and give it a test today..
xxxspawnxxx is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 06-20-2016, 10:36 AM
 
Join Date: 06-20-2016
Location: Central US
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 97 CBR900, Coolant in oil.. Helpppp

I had coolant in my oil on my 98 cbr900rr and couldn't find leak anywhere, took head off thinking it was a head gasket, luckily I did and found a hole in my coolant jacket in my cam/crank chain area.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160523_190721559_HDR.jpg‎  
soulreaper is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 06-20-2016, 12:06 PM
 
Join Date: 03-12-2016
Location: usa
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
     
Re: 97 CBR900, Coolant in oil.. Helpppp

Take a guess; what is the first thing out of my mouth? Could the pressure run into a water jacket and show a low cylinder, ie, you basic blown head gasket? Sans, some off the wall etching of the water jacket eating itself out and punching a hole out of the jacket? Sans, some water jacket gets physically punched in or out?
Catch22 is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 06-20-2016, 3:02 PM
 
Join Date: 04-20-2016
Location: Today is all I need
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 97 CBR900, Coolant in oil.. Helpppp

I don't think sans means what you think it means.

Soulreaper, ignore Catch22, he's senile and hardly a welcome party to see this is your first post, so how could you know or care what's the first thing out of his mouth but convoluted speech that he believes elevates himself while he can still type anything on this forum?

Welcome to Fireblades. Try the introduction thread and good catch on your leak.
1926 is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 06-20-2016, 3:39 PM
 
Join Date: 03-12-2016
Location: usa
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
     
Re: 97 CBR900, Coolant in oil.. Helpppp

sans = urban dic: 'without'... So without the off the wall hole in the engine, more head gaskets take out the lock between water and oil, sans the comments towards other posters is to concentrate on the OP's problem.

19, you're a classic runner upper who is the elevation on this ego trip you have. Check my previous post... Bleeds check compression for a head gasket, not some way out there crack or all your jackets would be cracking. That's a push out the case anyway, not chemical rot.

And where is that front end lube is did I call the silence or what? Typical runner upper type. Whale On me is it's going to mirror back on you, look out!
Catch22 is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 06-20-2016, 3:44 PM
 
Join Date: 04-20-2016
Location: Today is all I need
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 97 CBR900, Coolant in oil.. Helpppp

Soulreaper, you'll find a lot of nice people on this forum that aren't wrapped up into themselves, sans, catch with a net.
1926 is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 06-20-2016, 4:50 PM
 
Join Date: 03-12-2016
Location: usa
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
     
Re: 97 CBR900, Coolant in oil.. Helpppp

How in the heck am I coming off as answering a question on a bike makes me wrapped into myself? I already told you how silent you'll be with your front end and more a wannabe clueless more or less. Help the OP if you can.

So far, sounds like you're in need of social reinforcing I have to say hello first? LOL. You're too funny, neglecting my front end since 1926.


Signed,
I can see it from here
Catch22 is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I may have coolant in my oil? whitarnold Honda FireBlade 0 04-19-2011 6:19 PM
99 CBR900 Coolant temp stick-shaker Honda FireBlade 4 04-04-2010 1:10 AM
will a cbr900 1998 rear wheel fit a cbr900 1997 kevinh23 General Discussion 3 04-03-2010 8:40 PM
Will 95 CBR900 wheels fit my 96 CBR900? fastkatanaboy Honda FireBlade 1 10-31-2007 7:08 AM
Changing Coolant / Flushing Coolant? cbr9two9guy Honda FireBlade 3 07-10-2005 10:13 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome