954rr Common Issues - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-06-2013, 4:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

954rr Common Issues

Hey everyone, new to the 954RR boards, not new to riding. This will however be my first 954. Ive been on the fence about the jump up from a 750 for a while now and decided that the new Fireblades are just too much money and IMO owning a 954 or 929 makes you somewhat of a rare breed and a connoisseur. That being said I have found a bike and need to know some of the common issue. Before I get flamed, I have used the search button and done some research, what I came up with is that we face transmission issues, predominately with 2nd gear and bent shifter forks... this seems like it could be an issue on any bike though if not properly ridden and according to the previous owner has already been fixed with a shifter upgrade kit.

secondly, I found that we suffer(like most early 2000s Hondas) from fuel pump, fuel regulator, and rectifier issues... thus far on this bike I have found no problems with it and when asked the previous owner had none either.

thirdly, Block leakage issues... I haven't seen very many recorded cases and I highly doubt Honda has acknowledged it in any TSBs so Im not even gonna try but if anyone would care to elaborate on the issue please do...

Lastly my 2cents, I have checked it over for frame cracks, oil/grease build up behind the block and stator cover from wheelies, tires for chicken scratch, no dents in header... thus far the bike seems clean and with only 14k on the clock the owner seems legit when he says he has babied it.

If there are any other known issues with 954's that I should look out for let me know before I finalize the deal this week.

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-06-2013, 4:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

Re: 954rr Common Issues

One issue ive heard about, is that their too much fun and you never want to get off of them, they make you smile too much, and then your wife leaves you because you spend way too much time looking at it..........
post #3 of 8 Old 05-06-2013, 4:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkes View Post
One issue ive heard about, is that their too much fun and you never want to get off of them, they make you smile too much, and then your wife leaves you because you spend way too much time looking at it..........
isn't this the case with all sportbikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-06-2013, 6:25 PM

Reputation Power: 22

They are heat factories. The frame/tank can get very warm, especially on spring/summer days, and especially sitting in traffic.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-06-2013, 8:06 PM

frame gets a little warm if you wear shorts but like Hawkes said you never want to get off it and the bike is real lite and fast.I have one and haven't had any issues.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-07-2013, 9:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKECBR954 View Post
the bike is real lite and fast.
ha ha it better be fast,its essentially a 1000 that sits on a 600 frame... in the same year model the 600RR had a 1389mm wheelbase with the 954RR sitting at 1400mm, that is a difference of 11mm or literally about 3/8"

that's absolute insanity which is what made them so popular with stunters... that and theyre beautiful to ride lol...

Last edited by brisketsammich; 05-07-2013 at 9:46 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-07-2013, 2:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisketsammich View Post
Hey everyone, new to the 954RR boards, not new to riding. This will however be my first 954. Ive been on the fence about the jump up from a 750 for a while now and decided that the new Fireblades are just too much money and IMO owning a 954 or 929 makes you somewhat of a rare breed and a connoisseur. That being said I have found a bike and need to know some of the common issue. Before I get flamed, I have used the search button and done some research, what I came up with is that we face transmission issues, predominately with 2nd gear and bent shifter forks... this seems like it could be an issue on any bike though if not properly ridden and according to the previous owner has already been fixed with a shifter upgrade kit.

secondly, I found that we suffer(like most early 2000s Hondas) from fuel pump, fuel regulator, and rectifier issues... thus far on this bike I have found no problems with it and when asked the previous owner had none either.

thirdly, Block leakage issues... I haven't seen very many recorded cases and I highly doubt Honda has acknowledged it in any TSBs so Im not even gonna try but if anyone would care to elaborate on the issue please do...

Lastly my 2cents, I have checked it over for frame cracks, oil/grease build up behind the block and stator cover from wheelies, tires for chicken scratch, no dents in header... thus far the bike seems clean and with only 14k on the clock the owner seems legit when he says he has babied it.

If there are any other known issues with 954's that I should look out for let me know before I finalize the deal this week.

Thanks everyone.

The problem with the tranny is VERY rare... I have seen maybe less than a handful of 954's that suffer this problem. but like you said, It could be any bike as well if not ridden properly.

Fuel Pump/ Fuel Regulator/Rectifier has been a MOST common issue. yet also easily repairable issues. I had an issue with my rectifier and I bought a cheap aftermarket japanese rectifier for like 30 bucks and it has hold up for 2.5 years going strong with no signs of failure yet. OEM is like $210 for it. Chances are I will be buying the cheap one for years to come until my blade is no more and it will still be cheaper than OEM.

FPR... Video says it it self

Block leakage is a secondary result to stunting... Oil leaks back, gets into the mid case and seaps through that mid case gasket over time. If you see this then its probably a bike you shouldn't have bought

the 954 tends to be the reliable of the bunch when it comes to sport bikes so I wouldnt worry too much as long as the previous owner didnt tamper with it TOO much cutting wires left and right.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-07-2013, 6:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

2nd gear going out is a problem somewhat common to all motorcycles, due to the way the transmissions work, it is not honda specific. same for the reg/rec, many older bikes have issues with them due to the technology available when they were made. now days they use better technology and they last longer.

as to what Hawkes said, i think that is the reason you don't see them for sale very often compared to other bikes. i heard it speculated once that is was because they don't last, but I think the truth is they just don't get sold very often.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page