919 was running fine now no power from battery - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 05-07-2013, 5:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

919 was running fine now no power from battery

Hi all,

Bike was running fine yesterday, parked it last night, when I wanted to start it this morning it turned not even once and everything died, no lights or power on the gauges, it is just dead. I have checked all the fuses and wiring but no visible signs of any damage, battery is a week old. Tried jump starting it quick with a car, but no luck. Did not leave battery connected to car to long so definately did not toast anything else, plus battery measure over 15V still. PLEASE I need advise as I ride my bike to work daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-07-2013, 8:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

Re: 919 was running fine now no power from battery

what year and what bike? assuming 98-99 900rr. did you check the main as well as the sub fuses? sorry if so, just looking at the wiring diagram, it seems like if nothing works at all i would suspect the main fuse near the battery.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-07-2013, 10:59 PM

Reputation Power: 36

When u connected to car to jump start did any lights come back on?
check grounds. And I have seen batteries say 13.4v volts and have bad cell and not crank a bike. Id try jump starting again. Did ur starter silinoid click or anything? Should hear noise from right rear tail area when starter button is pushed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 05-07-2013, 11:13 PM

Reputation Power: 36

Replace fuse to ignition, mine went bad before and looked good finally replaced the fuse as last resort and fixed. But it ran fine all way home came out to ride next morning I had no power anywhere. Spent hours checking and testing over a 25 fuse.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-08-2013, 3:58 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade91968 View Post
Hi all,

Bike was running fine yesterday, parked it last night, when I wanted to start it this morning it turned not even once and everything died, no lights or power on the gauges, it is just dead. I have checked all the fuses and wiring but no visible signs of any damage, battery is a week old. Tried jump starting it quick with a car, but no luck. Did not leave battery connected to car to long so definately did not toast anything else, plus battery measure over 15V still. PLEASE I need advise as I ride my bike to work daily

You have 15V from a 12V battery with the engine off?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 20 Old 05-08-2013, 4:53 AM Thread Starter

Good morning all,

Firstly thanks for all the replies, I will reply here once to all.

1) I have tripple checked all the fuses including the main and even replaced the main and ignition fuses, still nothing
2) There is absolutely no power, i.e. when I jump start the bike nothing comes on, no dash lights, no headlights, no power whatsoever
3) Solinoid not clicking due to no power supply
4) The reading could have been 12v from 12v battery, one digit on my tester not working properly.
5) No broken wires or anything.

I am not stupid when it comes to bikes, this is just baffling and frying my brain. Have been riding bike since I was 9 years old and have never encountered something like this.

If it was the battery it would gradualy deteriorate, not just be completely dead one morning after starting fine 50 times the last week and being brand new.

Any other suggestions please?
post #7 of 20 Old 05-08-2013, 4:58 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Good morning all,

Firstly thanks for all the replies, I will reply here once to all.

1) I have tripple checked all the fuses including the main and even replaced the main and ignition fuses, still nothing
2) There is absolutely no power, i.e. when I jump start the bike nothing comes on, no dash lights, no headlights, no power whatsoever
3) Solinoid not clicking due to no power supply
4) The reading could have been 12v from 12v battery, one digit on my tester not working properly.
5) No broken wires or anything.

I am not stupid when it comes to bikes, this is just baffling and frying my brain. Have been riding bike since I was 9 years old and have never encountered something like this.

If it was the battery it would gradualy deteriorate, not just be completely dead one morning after starting fine 50 times the last week and being brand new.

Any other suggestions please?
Something is broken between the battery and the wiring harness, or the ignition switch is faulty. Do you have continuity between the engine, frame and negative of the battery?
A battery can die overnight just like any other component. But, if it's showing 12V you would still have dash lights at least when you turn the ignition on. If you don't have dash lights then I'd be looking at the ignition switch as the primary concern.
If you short across the starter solenoid does the starter motor turn?
What was wrong with the bike earlier that required you to buy a new battery?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #8 of 20 Old 05-08-2013, 5:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Bladeracer I agree, I havent checked the continuity yet, will check that tonight, spent last night checking wires and fuses:-(

Reason for new battery was, I bought the bike 2 weeks ago and it had the wrong battery in(scooter sized battery), also didnt want to start, but when we jumped the old battery iginition and all lights came on as soon as we connected the jumpers. They tested the charge voltage where I bought the new battery and that was fine. That is why I have no idea what is going on now. As I said it was working 100% the past week, not even a hint of not starting and starts first time even in cold weather.

I am also thinking broken wire somewhere....
post #9 of 20 Old 05-08-2013, 5:35 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Bladeracer I agree, I havent checked the continuity yet, will check that tonight, spent last night checking wires and fuses:-(

Reason for new battery was, I bought the bike 2 weeks ago and it had the wrong battery in(scooter sized battery), also didnt want to start, but when we jumped the old battery iginition and all lights came on as soon as we connected the jumpers. They tested the charge voltage where I bought the new battery and that was fine. That is why I have no idea what is going on now. As I said it was working 100% the past week, not even a hint of not starting and starts first time even in cold weather.

I am also thinking broken wire somewhere....

So when you said the battery still shows 12V, you mean now, not when this was checked two weeks ago?

Short across the starter solenoid first as that confirms the battery does have power, and is reticulating it to the engine and harness.
Then I would pull the bottom off the ignition switch and inspect the terminals as they may be corroded or broken.

post #10 of 20 Old 05-08-2013, 5:43 AM Thread Starter

Yes the 12V reading I got last night

I will definately check the starter option first that cuts out a hell of a lot of wiring to check my plan was to pull of the bottom of the ignition tonight.

Have to get this fixed asap, had to drive car to work today and I HATE TRAFFIC!
post #11 of 20 Old 05-08-2013, 5:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by packman5280 View Post
what year and what bike? assuming 98-99 900rr. did you check the main as well as the sub fuses? sorry if so, just looking at the wiring diagram, it seems like if nothing works at all i would suspect the main fuse near the battery.

packman is it possible to send me a copy of the wiring diagram or a link to it? Can only come in handy, thanks much appreciated
post #12 of 20 Old 05-08-2013, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

it's in my big FSM which i don't have with me. i was just looking at the section for the ignition, not the whole diagram. but i agree with BR, if the main fuse is good, then the next thing in line is the ignition switch.
post #13 of 20 Old 05-08-2013, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks pm much appreciated, I will post the verdict later tonight South African time.
post #14 of 20 Old 05-08-2013, 11:05 AM

I got a new battery recently and rode for about two weeks. Came out after work one night and I had nothing, no ignition, no lights, nothing. I was able to get some wrenches and pulled the battery cables off just long enough to reattach and tighten the clamps. Started right up and I haven't had any problems since. Luckily, sometime it is the simplest thing.....
post #15 of 20 Old 05-09-2013, 4:16 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
packman is it possible to send me a copy of the wiring diagram or a link to it? Can only come in handy, thanks much appreciated

Maybe just Google the manual and download it yourself...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page