headlight really dim, turn signals on, out of the blue?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 05-10-2013, 2:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

headlight really dim, turn signals on, out of the blue??

Hey guys,

I was riding my 929rr, and it was running perfectly. I stopped at a scenic place for around 30 min (didnt' leave the key in ignition or anything), and when I came back to leave, I noticed that the turn signals had stopped working. I went home to further inspect it, and here's what I noticed

Front blinkers are both on nice and bright, but permanently. Back blinkers, one is on, and the other is extremely dim. Also, the headlight is on, but very very very dim, and the high beam switch does nothing. In addition, the display backlight only comes on when I am starting the bike, and as soon as the starter motor stops, the backlight goes off. The tail light works, and so does the brake light

I've searched this, and found someone with basically the same problem, but not exact, and was wondering if any of you with experience in this can tell me if I'm having the same problem or not? Because if I am, I'll just do what was recommended on the other thread.

i checked all fuses and they are fine

Thanks!

Here's that other thread who seemed to have the same problem.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...t-working.html

Last edited by giosoccer20; 05-10-2013 at 2:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 05-10-2013, 5:10 PM Thread Starter

Re: headlight really dim, turn signals on, out of the blue??

Also, with the engine switch off, if I press the ignition button and hold it, the backlight works, and the turn signals function properly, but the high beams switch does nothing.

Can anyone give me some helping info??
post #3 of 41 Old 05-10-2013, 6:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 34

Start with any shared earth points or earth block.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 05-11-2013, 1:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorti View Post
Do I need to take the gas tank off to fix this? If so, what should I be weary of when I take it off? Will gas spill everywhere, or is there a way to do it to avoid this?
post #5 of 41 Old 05-11-2013, 2:18 PM Thread Starter

update: I removed the center headlight plug, which i believe is the low beam, and the backlight of the display came on, and the left blinker worked okay (except that with each blink the backlight went off), and when i tried the right blinnker, it sounded like the flasher relay was buzzing. (the right one behind the rev counter).

When i turned the high beam on, it sounded like the left relay was buzzing. sorry about the semi-vague descriptions. It's because i dont know the exact terms for every bike component yet
post #6 of 41 Old 05-11-2013, 3:25 PM Thread Starter

new update. I have checked and all of the headlights work separately. I have the low beam connector out, and the green wire removed. When I touch it to the frame, everything works as it should EXCEPT that the low beam light never comes on.. again, everything works as it should except the low beam, even though the bulb is good, so I am running out of ideas as to what is causing this.

help would be tremendously appreciated!

the ground trick worked as it should, but i dont know what i should do to actually fix this problem?

Last edited by giosoccer20; 05-11-2013 at 3:49 PM.
post #7 of 41 Old 05-11-2013, 5:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorti View Post
where is this? is it that gray box on the right behind the tachometer, which has the 8 green wires running to it?
post #8 of 41 Old 05-11-2013, 6:27 PM Thread Starter

SOLVEDDDD!! I think this may benefit people or someone in the future, so here's a picture and description and my solution to this problem!

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

So, I went ahead and figured that this thing was the culprit, which is where all of the ground wires are connected. It sits right behind the tachometer. After opening up, I was disappointed I didnt see any corrosion or anything really at first glance that made me think it was bad. Then, out of just interested, I took a phillips screwdriver, and with the ignition on, I ran the screwdriver over the metal plates back and forth, and on one of the strokes, a spark came out, and at that moment I saw the headlights flash on! Needless to say, I almost s**t myself out of excitement.

Turns out the headlights came on when the gap in between the metal plate was connected by the screwdriver. So, somehow, that metal plate burst, and I have absolutely no idea what could possibly have caused it

To remedy this, I at first tried putting solder in between the gap, but that proved to be a real pain in the ass. I then found a very thin and narrow brass strip (any metal strip would've worked), and spanned it across from one side to the other. This did the trick perfectly, and I closed the cap and put some epoxy on it to prevent it from opening. As of now, the problem is solved and everything is back to normal!
post #9 of 41 Old 06-20-2013, 3:47 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Same problem, just fixed it thanks to your post mate. But I just bundled up aluminum foil and placed over that section and compacted the plug cover back over it. By any chance do you know what that plug is called and is the broken connection replaceable?
post #10 of 41 Old 06-20-2013, 4:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929Thungus View Post
Same problem, just fixed it thanks to your post mate. But I just bundled up aluminum foil and placed over that section and compacted the plug cover back over it. By any chance do you know what that plug is called and is the broken connection replaceable?
Nice, awesome to hear this helped!! I do not know what the plug is called. I feel like it's on the tip of my tongue, though. Also, I imagine that it isn't replaceable on it's own. Most likely would have to replace the whole headlight harness. I hope someone will correct me on this if I am wrong.

Just want to confirm..but the metal was burst on yours as well? If so, I wonder what causes that to happen?
post #11 of 41 Old 06-20-2013, 6:59 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by giosoccer20 View Post
Nice, awesome to hear this helped!! I do not know what the plug is called. I feel like it's on the tip of my tongue, though. Also, I imagine that it isn't replaceable on it's own. Most likely would have to replace the whole headlight harness. I hope someone will correct me on this if I am wrong.

Just want to confirm..but the metal was burst on yours as well? If so, I wonder what causes that to happen?
It looked identical to how your picture showed. Ive never opened that plug up before until my incident happened last night. When I got my rr, the headlight was on then off, then it came on and stayed working for a whole month til last night. I was just about to open my kill switch housing because numerous forums say that might be the culprit. So Im stumped too. Yours still working fine up til now?
post #12 of 41 Old 06-20-2013, 7:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 30

That metal contact looks like it's supposed to be like that. Doesn't look like a 'blown' strip.
I would suggest that you're providing an alternative earth path by shorting it out.
Did you look at all the connectors joined into that plug?? give em a good wiggle.
post #13 of 41 Old 06-20-2013, 7:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollari View Post
That metal contact looks like it's supposed to be like that. Doesn't look like a 'blown' strip.
I would suggest that you're providing an alternative earth path by shorting it out.
Did you look at all the connectors joined into that plug?? give em a good wiggle.
hmm haha. that's what I was thinking when I first saw it as well. but when I learned that the two joining together resulted in everything working...I went ahead and did what I did lol. When I troubleshooted this problem a month ago, I wiggled basically every wire there is to wiggle haha. I looked for corrosion, and everything.

Regarding the blown strip, I found this one photo online of someone showing their -for lack of better term- "gray box where the ground wires connect". He too was having the headlight problems. His gray box was completely corroded on the inside, and if I remember correctly, the metal strip was the same on both sides, no breaks in between. I MAY be wrong, but that is how I remember. I wish I could find that photo again for reference

Last edited by giosoccer20; 06-20-2013 at 7:33 PM.
post #14 of 41 Old 06-20-2013, 7:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929Thungus View Post
It looked identical to how your picture showed. Ive never opened that plug up before until my incident happened last night. When I got my rr, the headlight was on then off, then it came on and stayed working for a whole month til last night. I was just about to open my kill switch housing because numerous forums say that might be the culprit. So Im stumped too. Yours still working fine up til now?
Function wise, everything works and has been working flawlessly, and I've ridden around 800 miles probably since doing it. All sorts of riding, too. The ONLY thing that is wrong is that flicking on the high beams cause the temp gauge to instantly read a higher number. it can be like only 3-4 degrees when it's getting warm, and when it's full hot, it'll jump anywhere from like 10-15, maybe even 20 higher. It clearly isn't the engine getting hot, just something messing with the readout. I wonder if you have the same issue after fixing the problem like I did. If not, that's awesome. Even if you do, it's not a big deal at all.
post #15 of 41 Old 06-20-2013, 7:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 30

I would be concerned that the manufacturer chose to separate the earth at that point for a reason and you've just bridged it back, especially as Thungus says his looked exactly the same.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
blinkers , headlight , not working , turn signals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page