929rr eating rear tires - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 05-12-2013, 8:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

929rr eating rear tires

I have been munching through rear tires on my 929. Rear / Q2 190 Front / Diablo.

What would be a good rear tire replacement for the summer? My front tire is fine.

Riding Style: Mainly in town with a couple 100 mile highway commutes. I ride daily. I like to throw it into the twisty's but I also love to hammer it in the straights with some modest wheelies. I know the chicken strip in the middle is due to wheelies, so, what is a back tire with a hard center and soft sides? I want them to last at least 5000 miles.

With Love,
Connor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-12-2013, 10:02 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Re: 929rr eating rear tires

I've been waiting to replace my tires on my 051krr for months, but they seem to just keep going forever....they are the BT023's..they have a hard center, and I don't know how soft the sides are....they last forever..I have 10K on them, and they are still going. 150 for rear, 100 for front. Not bad IMO.
post #3 of 33 Old 05-12-2013, 10:24 PM

Reputation Power: 10

wow cbrer. How do you ride? 10k is awesome for a tire. I have read mixed reviews on that tire. I have seen 2k 5k 8k and more than you have on them. Thats quite a range and a lot of these numbers are sportbikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRER View Post
I've been waiting to replace my tires on my 051krr for months, but they seem to just keep going forever....they are the BT023's..they have a hard center, and I don't know how soft the sides are....they last forever..I have 10K on them, and they are still going. 150 for rear, 100 for front. Not bad IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 05-12-2013, 10:46 PM

i dont think youre going to get more than 5k out of a performance tire which is what u have. Especially the way u ride. Now if u step down to a sport touring tire u can. But u will sacrifice grip along with other qualities. I ride like u and have a battleaxe s20. It is awesome! I feel like im glued to the road. I feel very confident and safe on it . I only get 2-3k on it though. Can u afford to eat through tires? Would u mind losing grip? Its all about compromise.
post #5 of 33 Old 05-13-2013, 1:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

Michelin Pilot Power 3. Just came out in January 2013. It's an upgrade from the super popular Pilot Power 2CT. The softer shoulders make up more of the tread this time, but with more stability while exiting turns. They are also better in the wet and are supposed to last 20% longer than the 2CT. I have a set on my 954 and they rock!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
- Franklin D. Roosevelt
2002 954
post #6 of 33 Old 05-13-2013, 5:05 AM

Reputation Power: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc rider View Post
i dont think youre going to get more than 5k out of a performance tire which is what u have.
I disagree. My gixxer 1000 was awesome on tyres - last 2CT I had lasted for around 15,000 k, and that's with a fair bit of high speed riding, clutched wheelies - the works.

I've never had that off a Honda though.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #7 of 33 Old 05-13-2013, 8:46 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Buy a sport touring tire. They stick like top end sport/trackday tires did 5 yrs ago, and last at least twice as long as sport rubber.

You are probably fooling yourself if you think you ride so fast that you need stickier rubber than a sport touring tire.

I have run Road Attacks, Pilot Road 2's, and B-Stone 023's.....all fantastic, knee dragging sticky touring tires. Some are better than others at rain, or cold, or hot and dry, but all are great. On fast paced road rides thru the hills in TN, GA, and NC, WV and KY, dragging hard parts and knee pucks, never once changing my riding to accomodate touring tires, I have realized that a sport toruing tire is the best choice for a street rider looking to get grip and longevity.

This pic, my bike has 023's on it (trailer has a Sava scooter tire on it)....no chicken strips on either. The 023's were on the GSXR till I sold it, the new owner swore he was way too fast for touring tires, so I mounted up Pilot Power 2CT's for hima nd kept the 023's.....and put them on my KTM. They now have 14,000 kms on them....front is half worn,and rear still might pass a safety check. Long lasting, very grippy in dry conditions, and not bad in wet. Longest lasting tire I have tried thus far.

SOAR Novice #22
Streetbike 06 KTM 950 Supermoto
Vintage Racebike 94 YZF 750R
GTU Endurance Racebike 01 CBR929
post #8 of 33 Old 05-13-2013, 9:12 AM

Reputation Power: 9

Yea mate I have a 954 and got 10,000 klms out of sport tyres and have replaced them with a sport tourer ,seems to have the same grip and also seems to be lasting better as well.
post #9 of 33 Old 05-13-2013, 12:05 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Omnivore sums it up perfectly.

Bridgestone Bt-023, michelin pilot road 3, or also consider my personal favourite the Pirelli angel st.
post #10 of 33 Old 05-13-2013, 1:17 PM
Pmb

Reputation Power: 11

I'm running bt023s on mine with no issues. Great tyre but I think I'll go for the PR3s next.
post #11 of 33 Old 05-13-2013, 1:39 PM

9000 miles?! I'm totally baffled by the WIDE range of life people are getting on their tires (performance tires). You see them on all the reviews. How can one guy get 2000 and another 10000 on the same tire/similar bikes damn it!? What factors are involved besides riding style and road surface type? I could see if my wheels were out of alignment, but I know my wheels are aligned. The roads here are asphalt paved but there are a lot of holes/cracks. I don't carry passengers. Maybe I'll try the sport touring next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post
I disagree. My gixxer 1000 was awesome on tyres - last 2CT I had lasted for around 15,000 k, and that's with a fair bit of high speed riding, clutched wheelies - the works.

I've never had that off a Honda though.
post #12 of 33 Old 05-13-2013, 2:38 PM

Oh yeah . Always check my tire pressure
post #13 of 33 Old 05-13-2013, 4:05 PM

Im not saying i ride that fast at all. But i find it hard to believe that a s.t will stick as well as a performance. That is why they have different categories, right? Unless its all marketing. I may not use the performance tires full potential, but i will feel safer on a stickier tire. If im taking a tight turn at very high speeds and i switch to a s.t tire im going to be nervous. Maybe, its just psychological.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
Buy a sport touring tire. They stick like top end sport/trackday tires did 5 yrs ago, and last at least twice as long as sport rubber.

You are probably fooling yourself if you think you ride so fast that you need stickier rubber than a sport touring tire.

I have run Road Attacks, Pilot Road 2's, and B-Stone 023's.....all fantastic, knee dragging sticky touring tires. Some are better than others at rain, or cold, or hot and dry, but all are great. On fast paced road rides thru the hills in TN, GA, and NC, WV and KY, dragging hard parts and knee pucks, never once changing my riding to accomodate touring tires, I have realized that a sport toruing tire is the best choice for a street rider looking to get grip and longevity.

This pic, my bike has 023's on it (trailer has a Sava scooter tire on it)....no chicken strips on either. The 023's were on the GSXR till I sold it, the new owner swore he was way too fast for touring tires, so I mounted up Pilot Power 2CT's for hima nd kept the 023's.....and put them on my KTM. They now have 14,000 kms on them....front is half worn,and rear still might pass a safety check. Long lasting, very grippy in dry conditions, and not bad in wet. Longest lasting tire I have tried thus far.
post #14 of 33 Old 05-13-2013, 4:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post

WOW, that's the biggest trunk I have ever seen!!!!!!!! you could go across country, put all your stuff in it and not need a back pack at all!!!
post #15 of 33 Old 05-13-2013, 5:10 PM
Pmb

Reputation Power: 11

Please note that my response relates to the miserable weather in the UK at the moment where I was caught in a hail storm today so may not be applicable the same as you folks in warmer climates. I was under the impression that ST tyres got up to and maintained their optimal operating conditions better than a dedicated sports tyre under normal road riding conditions, start/stopping, short bursts of acceleration and braking etc. Whereas a dedicated sports tyre can't sustain their ideal operating temperature to work at their best under the same conditions. Check out 'Ron haslam Bridgestone 023 test' on you tube.. That sold ST tyres for me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page