954 gears falling out, need help - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-13-2013, 9:22 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-06-2013
Location: Tejas
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
954 gears falling out, need help

I have never ridden a bike with this problem but I fear my 954 is starting to want to fall out of gear in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, sometimes even 4th. At first it was intermittent but is becoming more regular, if indeed that is the issue Im facing. Can anyone explain just exactly what this feel like? what is happening is a little ways in to the revs off of a stop light if I roll into it too hard its starts stuttering and making a clacking noise until I up shift and then its the same all the way up to 4th where it will stop... 4th, 5th, and 6th have no lack of power and pull just fine, the motors revs and idles just fine and in 6th I can nearly top it out, basically Im saying it will run through its rev range fine so I know its not the motor... thoughts anyone?

-also I decided to add that when its cold its nearly impossible to shift up to 2nd, I mean that shifter will not budge, I have bruises on the top of my big toe from this lately, also when its cold if I rev it will roll forward under power with the clutch fully engaged once its warmed up this stops, also it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find neutral, no matter how gentle and delicate I am with it I simply cannot go from 1st to neutral, I usually have to go up to second and lightly tap it down to neutral...

Last edited by brisketsammich; 05-13-2013 at 9:49 AM. Reason: additional information added
brisketsammich is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 05-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 954 gears falling out, need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisketsammich View Post
I have never ridden a bike with this problem but I fear my 954 is starting to want to fall out of gear in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, sometimes even 4th. At first it was intermittent but is becoming more regular, if indeed that is the issue Im facing. Can anyone explain just exactly what this feel like? what is happening is a little ways in to the revs off of a stop light if I roll into it too hard its starts stuttering and making a clacking noise until I up shift and then its the same all the way up to 4th where it will stop... 4th, 5th, and 6th have no lack of power and pull just fine, the motors revs and idles just fine and in 6th I can nearly top it out, basically Im saying it will run through its rev range fine so I know its not the motor... thoughts anyone?

-also I decided to add that when its cold its nearly impossible to shift up to 2nd, I mean that shifter will not budge, I have bruises on the top of my big toe from this lately, also when its cold if I rev it will roll forward under power with the clutch fully engaged once its warmed up this stops, also it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find neutral, no matter how gentle and delicate I am with it I simply cannot go from 1st to neutral, I usually have to go up to second and lightly tap it down to neutral...

At what RPM exactly is this happening? Is it a problem if the tach is above 4000RPM?
You need to adjust the clutch cable to remove the drag, which will also allow you to shift gears.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Last edited by bladeracer; 05-13-2013 at 10:24 AM.
bladeracer is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 05-13-2013, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-06-2013
Location: Tejas
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 954 gears falling out, need help

it is somewhere around 4k - 6k range... I will back the clutch out a little and see what it does...
brisketsammich is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 05-13-2013, 3:18 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-06-2013
Location: Tejas
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 954 gears falling out, need help

We definitely have an issue here, its doing it between 4-6k and in 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th! I backed the engagement point out to where you have to have the lever fully engaged just to get it to grab and its stilling doing it. 5th and 6th pull fine all the way up to redline. any thoughts?

Last edited by brisketsammich; 05-13-2013 at 3:42 PM.
brisketsammich is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 05-13-2013, 3:22 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 954 gears falling out, need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisketsammich View Post
We are definitely have an issue here, its doing it between 4-6k and in 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th! I back the engagement point out to where you have to have the lever fully engaged just to get it to grab and its stilling doing it. 5th and 6th pull fine all the way up to redline. any thoughts?

Do you mean that even the clutch adjusted so it only just engages when fully released the bike is still trying to pull when the lever is fully in?
Does it shift okay if you don't use the clutch lever? You don't need the clutch to shift gears so if it still does it then the problem is probably in the transmission.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 05-13-2013, 4:42 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-06-2013
Location: Tejas
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 954 gears falling out, need help

It will upshift clutchless and yes the bike wants to roll forward with the clutch fully engaged if you open the throttle/rev at a stop.
brisketsammich is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 05-14-2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-06-2013
Location: Tejas
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 954 gears falling out, need help

I went out last night attempting to replicate and also noticed that if I roll slowly into the RPMs of each of the gears in question it wont do the studdering thing. Its almost as if when there is too much power/torqure applied its causing a slippage somewhere, but it couldn't possibly be jumping the sprocket, the sprockets and chains only have a couple thousand miles on them and the teeth aren't rolled.

Last edited by brisketsammich; 05-14-2013 at 11:22 AM.
brisketsammich is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 12:28 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 954 gears falling out, need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisketsammich View Post
I went out last night attempting to replicate and also noticed that if I roll slowly into the RPMs of each of the gears in question it wont do the studdering thing. Its almost as if when there is too much power/torqure applied its causing a slippage somewhere, but it couldn't possibly be jumping the sprocket, the sprockets and chains only have a couple thousand miles on them and the teeth aren't rolled.

Have you already checked the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose is dry?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-06-2013
Location: Tejas
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 954 gears falling out, need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Have you already checked the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose is dry?
No I haven't but this really doesn't "feel" like a loss of power or a fuel delivery issue, it feels like something in the drivetrain is clunking/stuttering and holding the motor back from delivering the power to the chain... I even have started to suspect that the chain may be skipping over the front sprocket but haven't had time to check anything in the last day or two... I will tonight...
brisketsammich is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 9:46 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 954 gears falling out, need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisketsammich View Post
No I haven't but this really doesn't "feel" like a loss of power or a fuel delivery issue, it feels like something in the drivetrain is clunking/stuttering and holding the motor back from delivering the power to the chain... I even have started to suspect that the chain may be skipping over the front sprocket but haven't had time to check anything in the last day or two... I will tonight...

When the FPR fails it dumps raw fuel into the cylinders at high pressure, raw fuel doesn't burn, it just takes up space, which increases your compression ratio - my concern in your case is that it may be causing detonation.
Can you post a video of the tach perhaps?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 05-16-2013, 1:00 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-06-2013
Location: Tejas
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 954 gears falling out, need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
When the FPR fails it dumps raw fuel into the cylinders at high pressure, raw fuel doesn't burn, it just takes up space, which increases your compression ratio - my concern in your case is that it may be causing detonation.
Can you post a video of the tach perhaps?
Im still not entirely convinced it is fuel management or delivery related, Im still pursuing the drivetrain theory, tore into it last night and found metal shavings in and around the front spocket, the teeth appear to be okay but the chain is certainly very loose and may be jumping the front sprocket, I am going to put her up on the rear stand tonight and tighten up the chain to see if that helps... I unfortunately could not get anything done last night due to the horrendous weather and fearing for my life with tornados heading directly toward my town lol...
brisketsammich is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 05-17-2013, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-06-2013
Location: Tejas
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 954 gears falling out, need help

I figured it out once I had time to actually take the time to look at it and it was the chain jumping the rear sprocket. Prognosis here is to buy a new front and rear sprocket set along with new chain. I am considering the RK kit that's OEM at 530- 16/43 and chromoly
brisketsammich is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CBR 954 falling out of gear!! Firemedic657 Honda FireBlade 2 04-26-2011 9:24 PM
Falling off sideways 900RR General Discussion 11 04-12-2011 10:38 AM
Falling in Love....again TKDmasterZ General Discussion 7 07-23-2007 10:25 PM
The sky is falling! Red Rider Off-Topic 3 06-13-2004 2:51 PM
falling down asiliat Off-Topic 26 06-12-2003 11:26 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome