CBR 954 2nd Gear Wheelie Help - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-13-2013, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

CBR 954 2nd Gear Wheelie Help

Okay first off yes I am asking for help to wheelie one of the easiest bikes to wheelie.....

Background:
I recently purchased my first 954, I can clutch up in 1st gear w/o issue and ride it out fairly well. I previously owned a GSX-R 600 and only did power wheelies so I definitely prefer clutching it up.

Problem:
I understand a majority of response are going to state the issue is me. That's fine please feel free to offer advise. Okay so..... when i attempt to clutch in 2nd gear I can get the front wheel roughly 8-12 inches off the ground however the bike almost instantly bogs down bringing the front wheel to the ground.

How I do first gear clutch up:
Roll in 1st gear right around 25 mph roughly 3800 rpm, I slip the clutch and whack the throttle bringing the front tire up w/o any real effort.

How I attempt second gear clutch up:
I've tired a similar technique to my first gear wheelie w/ little to no success. I've tried accelerating hard from about 3500 rpm and slipping the clutch w/ little to no success.

I do all my wheelies from a sitting position. I've tried shifting back on the seat still no real success. The issue is definitely this bog down that happens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I've read some articles on the exhaust valve being an issue w/ R1's. Could this be my problem bike runs great and fast otherwise. My only issue is my difficulties doing a clean second gear wheelie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: CBR 954 2nd Gear Wheelie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicRR View Post
Okay first off yes I am asking for help to wheelie one of the easiest bikes to wheelie.....

Background:
I recently purchased my first 954, I can clutch up in 1st gear w/o issue and ride it out fairly well. I previously owned a GSX-R 600 and only did power wheelies so I definitely prefer clutching it up.

Problem:
I understand a majority of response are going to state the issue is me. That's fine please feel free to offer advise. Okay so..... when i attempt to clutch in 2nd gear I can get the front wheel roughly 8-12 inches off the ground however the bike almost instantly bogs down bringing the front wheel to the ground.

How I do first gear clutch up:
Roll in 1st gear right around 25 mph roughly 3800 rpm, I slip the clutch and whack the throttle bringing the front tire up w/o any real effort.

How I attempt second gear clutch up:
I've tired a similar technique to my first gear wheelie w/ little to no success. I've tried accelerating hard from about 3500 rpm and slipping the clutch w/ little to no success.

I do all my wheelies from a sitting position. I've tried shifting back on the seat still no real success. The issue is definitely this bog down that happens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I've read some articles on the exhaust valve being an issue w/ R1's. Could this be my problem bike runs great and fast otherwise. My only issue is my difficulties doing a clean second gear wheelie.

What other bikes are you able to clutch up second on?
I would get the revs up well above 4000RPM first for a start.
Can you post an onboard video so we can see what the tach is doing?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 12 Old 05-14-2013, 5:38 AM

Reputation Power: 113

My preferred technique is to sit back, get on the power first, then slip the clutch. It's more controlled and smoother that way as you're not doing the clutch AND power at the same time.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-14-2013, 8:31 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately I don't have the means to record a cockpit video. I can try to paint a picture for you though.....

Upon disengaging the clutch (pulling in the lever) I hit the throttle aimiming for somewhere between 8-9k rpms. When I release the clutch lever (all one quick motion) the bike will began to lift but bogs out at roughly 6k rpm bringing the front tire right back down.

Hope that helps
post #5 of 12 Old 05-14-2013, 8:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post
My preferred technique is to sit back, get on the power first, then slip the clutch. It's more controlled and smoother that way as you're not doing the clutch AND power at the same time.
I think I'm attempting this technique the right way...is this a gradule increase or a fast increase in speed? And do you zero the throttle, hold it stationary or increase it when you slip the clutch?
post #6 of 12 Old 05-14-2013, 8:34 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have the means to record a cockpit video. I can try to paint a picture for you though.....

Upon disengaging the clutch (pulling in the lever) I hit the throttle aimiming for somewhere between 8-9k rpms. When I release the clutch lever (all one quick motion) the bike will began to lift but bogs out at roughly 6k rpm bringing the front tire right back down.

Hope that helps

But this is the same technique that works for you clutching second on other bikes?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 12 Old 05-14-2013, 8:53 AM

Reputation Power: 113

Quote:
I think I'm attempting this technique the right way...is this a gradule increase or a fast increase in speed? And do you zero the throttle, hold it stationary or increase it when you slip the clutch?
It's literally wind the throttle on to 3/4 + (not a crack, just a twist - you'll find the amount that you like), followed by "dab" of the clutch to start bringing her up.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-14-2013, 8:54 AM Thread Starter

No sorry this is my first bike I've attempted to clutch wheelie this is the method that works for me in 1st gear.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-14-2013, 8:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post
It's literally wind the throttle on to 3/4 + (not a crack, just a twist - you'll find the amount that you like), followed by "dab" of the clutch to start bringing her up.
I will try this today and let you know how it goes.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 7:31 AM

I hate to say go faster but when i got mine i tried it at around 35 mph and i was doing the same thing as you. I went on a country rode at about 50 to 55 in second and then dumped the clutch around 8-9000 rpm and it picked right up. After i got that down and was comfortable I started decreasing speed and was able to do it. Get comfortable with the bike and what it is capable of and it will get easier. Power wheelies are a rush when you first do it but you have less control than when you clutch up. Be careful and wear your gear.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-24-2013, 2:14 PM Thread Starter

Ok guys here's an update....

I've been practicing a lot! I've moved to strictly using the staggered stance w/ my left foot on the passenger peg. I have also dropped one tooth on the front sprocket. WOW lots of progress made. I will attempt to post a video soon. Working on balance point and brake control. Thanks for all the advice.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-31-2013, 8:06 AM

Reputation Power: 11

Hi.
And go +2 on the rear.
I run ~1 front +2 rear and it lifts the wheel when the power comes in with no clutch.
Good luck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page