annoying oil drip from oil pan drain bolt (4-5 drips after a ride) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

annoying oil drip from oil pan drain bolt (4-5 drips after a ride)

I have a minor oil leak which yields around 4-5 drips from the drain plug bolt after a ride. I believe it is from the drain bolt, because the oil is always accumulated on the drain plug itself, and i've checked several times, and I don't believe there is another source.

the engine oil was overfilled, but i took care of that yesterday and took it for a ride, but it still dripped 4-5 drops.

I replaced the crush washer also, but didn't have a torque wrench so I did what several guys recommended and just "snugged" the bolt.

So, if we say it isn't the crush washer, could it be the drain plug bolt itself? When I drained the oil yesterday, I inspected the bolt itself, and it looked pretty healthy. There were bits of silicone or something that looked like thin strips of sealant in the oil which settled to the bottom of the drained oil, which makes me think that maybe someone tried using some sealant on the threads to prevent leaking?

should i just go ahead and replace the drain plug as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 113

Re: annoying oil drip from oil pan drain bolt (4-5 drips after a ride)

Simple things first - get a new bolt and crush washer. Install, then go from there. It's not supposed to be mega tight, but perhaps your definition of "snug" isn't quite enough?

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #3 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 1:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

I'd inspect the threads of the oil pan. Your smartphone works really good as an inspection tool. Put it in camera mode and scan the area. Your'e going to laugh, but I first got the idea on a news report that suggested people use their smartphone to look for bedbugs in their furniture!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 2:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post
Simple things first - get a new bolt and crush washer. Install, then go from there. It's not supposed to be mega tight, but perhaps your definition of "snug" isn't quite enough?
Yeah I'm working on it right now.

Sky and Jondog, here's a pic of my old drain plug in comparison to the new one. The old one had some silicone-ish stuff on it, making me think the last guy was trying to stop a leak? Also, the washer that I first took off which was installed by him was destroyed, looking as if it was tightened with 100lb/ft of torque lol. Maybe that damaged the bolt itself?

[IMG][/IMG]

The old plug doesn't look too bad, but maybe there is some subtle damage to it.

the threads on the oil pan look good from what I can tell. they didn't look stripped.

My dad is recommending that I put silicone on the new bolt again, but I keep telling him that it SHOULDN'T be needed.
post #5 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 2:40 PM

No - don't put silicone on it. It shouldn't need it at all. Throw the new bolt on and go for a ride

post #6 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 2:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
No - don't put silicone on it. It shouldn't need it at all. Throw the new bolt on and go for a ride
Will do! I hope this works...because going out for a new crush washer 3 days in a row would be moderately annoying lol
post #7 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giosoccer20 View Post
Will do! I hope this works...because going out for a new crush washer 3 days in a row would be moderately annoying lol
Multipack?

post #8 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 3:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Multipack?
haha...i've never even thought of that...this is embarrassing

I just put the plug back on and got the oil back in....and it started raining.
post #9 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 7:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by giosoccer20 View Post
haha...i've never even thought of that...this is embarrassing

I just put the plug back on and got the oil back in....and it started raining.
Holy crap - you're talking about the weather, right?

The threads aren't what do the sealing. Think of a garden hose, without the washer, it leaks. The burden of sealing the oil inside the oil-pan is all in the crushwasher, the shoulder of the bolt, and the shoulder of the plug recepticle in the oil pan.

Question for old-timer wrench turners: Would it be ok to put a neat wrap or two of teflon-tape on the threads of the plug? Or Anti-Seize? I'm thinking the zinc in the Anti-seize could help with sealing the threads for a little extra insurance.
post #10 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 7:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Holy crap - you're talking about the weather, right?

The threads aren't what do the sealing. Think of a garden hose, without the washer, it leaks. The burden of sealing the oil inside the oil-pan is all in the crushwasher, the shoulder of the bolt, and the shoulder of the plug recepticle in the oil pan.

Question for old-timer wrench turners: Would it be ok to put a neat wrap or two of teflon-tape on the threads of the plug? Or Anti-Seize? I'm thinking the zinc in the Anti-seize could help with sealing the threads for a little extra insurance.
haha yeah I was talking about the weather. As in i fixed the bike up and was ready to take it for a ride.

I have a disappointing update to make, though.. I haven't even taken the bike out for a ride yet, since replacing the crush washer and drain bolt..and I find this oil here..

[IMG][/IMG]

So, it's not on the bolt itself, it's on that lip thing, which I assume is to protect the bolt from debris and stuff? I already wiped that off once, thinking it was some excess oil from draining...but it accumulated again. I want to hit my head against a wall. This is so frustrating!

-Looking at the oil pan from the fairing side, and from as far as I can possibly squeeze my head underneath the bike, I haven't been able to locate any oil that is leaking anywhere. I haven't been able to get a look at the oil pan from the exhaust side, though..maybe that's where all of my problems lie?
post #11 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 7:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

I have this really thin silicone "tape" or whatever it is, which my dad was recommending I use just for added security. But now I'm questioning if the oil is even coming from the drain plug...
post #12 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 8:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

i wouldn't use silcone tape, it shouldn't be necessary. i would begin looking at other places, higher up, for leaks. any oil around where the pan meets the block? how about from the stator cover or where the wires come out, or clutch cover, or any other side cover?
post #13 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 8:07 PM Thread Starter

I just had it for a short, 10 min ride. There is a lot less oil, almost an unnoticeable amount seems to be like seeping onto that area. maybe it's still residiual oil from SOMEwhere. idk. could the fact that it was overfilled with oil for the past week have anything to do with this?

Last edited by giosoccer20; 05-15-2013 at 8:16 PM.
post #14 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 8:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by packman5280 View Post
i wouldn't use silcone tape, it shouldn't be necessary. i would begin looking at other places, higher up, for leaks. any oil around where the pan meets the block? how about from the stator cover or where the wires come out, or clutch cover, or any other side cover?
nope there really is no oil anywhere, which is the beautiful thing about Honda's
post #15 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 8:39 PM Thread Starter

i took some photos.
Here's a shot of the oil pan taken at the best of my abilites. (stator side).
[IMG][/IMG]

and here's the oil pan (pretty crap photo and hard to tell), exhaust is on the right side, and the drain plug is right below the photo, it's just out of shot
[IMG][/IMG]

Even if there is some oil leaking from the oil pan over on the stator side, I don't know how it could be trickling down all the way and accumulating on that lip in front of the bolt.

That wetness and sludge that you see in the first photo, I feel that a lot of it is chain lube, which overdid 3 days ago

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
crush washer , drain plug , leak , oil leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page