Mystery wires to rectifier? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-16-2013, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Mystery wires to rectifier?

Well been a while since i was here last and alot happened. After completing my '97 blade i switched bikes with my dad, i rode his '68 triumph and he rode my 900, he ended up putting it in a ditch and cracking the block and bending the forks So basically i ended up with a '94 fireblade and i swapped the motor and wiring harness into my '97 for title reasons The only problem is the plug that goes into the rectifier was removed long ago and each wire has an individual spade lug going to it, two of which are connected but 3 are not. Basically the rectifier has two pins on the bottom row which are connected and three up top, the three wires that go to it come from the stator but unfortunately two are the same color, any help would make this much easier, i have a wiring diagram btw..

"As i lay rubber down the street, i pray for traction i can keep, and if i slip and begin to slide, oh dear god protect my ride!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Mystery wires to rectifier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatBlackBlade View Post
Well been a while since i was here last and alot happened. After completing my '97 blade i switched bikes with my dad, i rode his '68 triumph and he rode my 900, he ended up putting it in a ditch and cracking the block and bending the forks So basically i ended up with a '94 fireblade and i swapped the motor and wiring harness into my '97 for title reasons The only problem is the plug that goes into the rectifier was removed long ago and each wire has an individual spade lug going to it, two of which are connected but 3 are not. Basically the rectifier has two pins on the bottom row which are connected and three up top, the three wires that go to it come from the stator but unfortunately two are the same color, any help would make this much easier, i have a wiring diagram btw..

The three stator wires should all be yellow, doesn't matter which way you connect them as each is a seperate circuit.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 6 Old 05-16-2013, 1:25 PM Thread Starter

Oh really, that just made this a whole lot easier lol thanks! Thats odd that they can go in any order, i thought each had a specific circuit in the rectifier to go to

"As i lay rubber down the street, i pray for traction i can keep, and if i slip and begin to slide, oh dear god protect my ride!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-16-2013, 2:40 PM

Reputation Power: 113

The current from the stator is AC. Doesn't matter which way around the cables are for that. The RR rectifies it (ie turns it into DC) and regulates the voltage. Only in DC does positive/negative matter.

I've always found it weird why the 2 pin electrical plugs in North America have one pin larger than the other so a plug can only be inserted one way.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-16-2013, 3:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post
The current from the stator is AC. Doesn't matter which way around the cables are for that. The RR rectifies it (ie turns it into DC) and regulates the voltage. Only in DC does positive/negative matter.

I've always found it weird why the 2 pin electrical plugs in North America have one pin larger than the other so a plug can only be inserted one way.
Thats a good point, my head was stuck in dc power haha

post #6 of 6 Old 05-16-2013, 5:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post

i've wondered that as well, so i looked it up. here is the yahoo answer that best explained it for me

One is the hot wire (black in the supply wiring) and the other is the return wire (white). This is called a polarized plug. If you had two prongs the same size, the plug could easily be switched where a chassis of an appliance, for example, could be hot and the other a return. This would set up a 120 volt between two appliances and touching them both at the same time could shock you.

For example, let's say you have a refrigerator plugged in one way and a gas stove (that runs on 120 volts for the timer and stuff) is plugged in the other way with no ground pin on the plugs. There would be a 120 volt potential between the chassis of the refrigerator and the stove. And, if you touched both of them at the same time, you would get shocked.

This may not be a problem with every type of electrical device. For example, I have an orbital sander that has a plug with both prongs the same size and no ground pin. That's because the device is double insulated from where you hold it. So, there is no need to have a polarized plug.

However, even though some devices don't need polarized plugs, manufacturers install them anyway for safety reasons.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page