954rr RK Sprocket kit - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-17-2013, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

954rr RK Sprocket kit

I figured out my stuttering problem, it was the chain jumping the rear sprocket, I have read a number of reviews on various companies and their sprockets/chains and I have narrowed it down to this - RK x Ring Honda '00 03 CBR929 CBR954 CBR900RR Chain and Sprocket Kit 530 | eBay

its OEM 530- 16/43 and Chromoly steel. Thoughts opinions? is the price point right? has anyone run this set? what kind of longevity did you get out of it? I don't ride hard, no stunting, no racing, this is my daily commuter and needs to last a while... anything you can offer up would be great, I need to place the order today so please everyone let me know something quick. Also I would like to note that I am distinctly aware of RK's history and reputation in the two wheel world, they make great products and quality is rarely an issue from what I understand, Im just needing to make an informed decision here and I want to make sure Im not misappropriating my money when there maybe something a little better or more recommended for the same price point.

Last edited by brisketsammich; 05-17-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-18-2013, 11:04 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Re: 954rr RK Sprocket kit

Any name brand chain, either o-ring or x-ring should last years when taken care of.These are all good chains:
EK,RK, Tsubaki, DID, Regina, Renthal....I am sure I missed a few.

For a street bike, I would never sacrifice strength and longevity to go with a 520 chain and sprockets. Even my endurance racebike is a 530 chain. I went with the most expensive and strongest chain money can buy- The EK 530ZZZ. It's what many turbo Busa guys use, so that's what I bought. I had the same chain on my GSXR1000 for 3 yrs and almost 50K miles, and only needed to adjust it once. I have one on my KTM 950 supermoto too, and they come pre-stretched, and seem like the just never need adjustments. Great chain. I also only use steel sprockets when it comes to streetbikes. Aluminum ones don't last, and make alot of noise.

Lube it warm after every 300-400 kms of riding.

SOAR Novice #22
Streetbike 06 KTM 950 Supermoto
Vintage Racebike 94 YZF 750R
GTU Endurance Racebike 01 CBR929
post #3 of 8 Old 05-18-2013, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
Any name brand chain, either o-ring or x-ring should last years when taken care of.These are all good chains:
EK,RK, Tsubaki, DID, Regina, Renthal....I am sure I missed a few.

For a street bike, I would never sacrifice strength and longevity to go with a 520 chain and sprockets. Even my endurance racebike is a 530 chain. I went with the most expensive and strongest chain money can buy- The EK 530ZZZ. It's what many turbo Busa guys use, so that's what I bought. I had the same chain on my GSXR1000 for 3 yrs and almost 50K miles, and only needed to adjust it once. I have one on my KTM 950 supermoto too, and they come pre-stretched, and seem like the just never need adjustments. Great chain. I also only use steel sprockets when it comes to streetbikes. Aluminum ones don't last, and make alot of noise.

Lube it warm after every 300-400 kms of riding.

I tried an aluminum rear sprocket, once, never again. I only have dreams of chains/sprockets lasting 50,000 mi. though! 50k in 3 years though, I'm guessing that's mostly freeway/highway miles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-18-2013, 9:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

it all depends what you are looking for. every one has something different and every one's opinion is different. I went with a D.I.D 520 chain and vortex rear alum. sprocket (also new front sprocket, down 1 tooth). I did everything to weekend getaways to some hard core track time. I had around 10k on my set up when I sold it and it still looked and performed like it was brand new. I think the major factor to chain longevity is how much you take car of it. the "kits" you see on ebay or the kits were you get everthing together are just going to be middle of the line quality. you can usually get better stuff by piecing it together sepertly and end up spending just a couple bucks more.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-19-2013, 2:16 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj1200rj View Post
I tried an aluminum rear sprocket, once, never again. I only have dreams of chains/sprockets lasting 50,000 mi. though! 50k in 3 years though, I'm guessing that's mostly freeway/highway miles?

I never commute on a bike...I work construction and need my truck daily. All of my bike miles are sport touring or twisty carving. I don't city ride, and I avoid Interstates like the plague. I sometimes only ride 5-10 times a yr, but when I get on the bike, it's at least a full day...prefer a whole long weekend, and twice a yr I take a week or more and go sport touring....towing a single wheeled trailer. I also take a week in May and a week in Oct , just for Deals Gap exploring.
If I ride a whole long day, it's 400-600 miles. A long weekend can be up to 1500 miles. A week is usually 2500-3500 miles.....it adds up.

SOAR Novice #22
Streetbike 06 KTM 950 Supermoto
Vintage Racebike 94 YZF 750R
GTU Endurance Racebike 01 CBR929
post #6 of 8 Old 05-20-2013, 7:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
I never commute on a bike...I work construction and need my truck daily. All of my bike miles are sport touring or twisty carving. I don't city ride, and I avoid Interstates like the plague. I sometimes only ride 5-10 times a yr, but when I get on the bike, it's at least a full day...prefer a whole long weekend, and twice a yr I take a week or more and go sport touring....towing a single wheeled trailer. I also take a week in May and a week in Oct , just for Deals Gap exploring.
If I ride a whole long day, it's 400-600 miles. A long weekend can be up to 1500 miles. A week is usually 2500-3500 miles.....it adds up.
Sound awesome, I wish I had the time.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-20-2013, 9:32 AM Thread Starter

does anyone have any part numbers on sprockets and chain... just because Im being lazy

or does anyone know of a full setup they recommend... I have decided to go all steel for strength and longevity. For example - I found a EK530ZZZ on EK 530 MVXZ Chain and a RS7 Superlite on the same site Sprockets
and a Vortex front sprocket for VORTEX 530 Steel Front Sprocket - HONDA its also worth noting that there is a Superlite front sprocket for the same price just to keep things consistent instead of mixing up brands.

EK530ZZZ - 195$
Vortex Steel 530 16t - 33$
Superlite RS7 Steel 530 43t - 54$

are these prices reasonable? is there somewhere better(cheaper) that anyone would recommend?

Last edited by brisketsammich; 05-20-2013 at 10:37 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-24-2013, 1:29 PM

Just installed a 520 Conversion from SuperBikeSupply. Came with 15T front Steel Lightweight Sprocket, 45T Rear Steel Superlight, and a 520 EK MVXZ Chain. I was worried I wouldn't have the tools to remove the chain and put the new one on. I used my grinder to chop off the old chain. For the new one I removed 10 links as it was 120 Link chain. I grinded the pin flat, then used a punch to tap it out. I then used EK's Screw Type Master link. Worked amazing. The power difference down low is great and cruising is still good. I'm very happy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page