08 1000rr front brakes locked up/ crash - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-05-2013, 9:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

08 1000rr front brakes locked up/ crash

I was at track this past weekend and had my front brakes clamp down with very little pressure to the lever. I was riding one of the last sessions of the day going down back straight away at 130. As soon as I pulled the lever to start braking, the front brakes acted as if I had pulled the lever to the grip. Bike did an Indo then sat back down. I did crash but damage wasn't too bad cause bike stayed on side. Any suggestions on why and how I can prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks,
Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 08 1000rr front brakes locked up/ crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStretch View Post
I was at track this past weekend and had my front brakes clamp down with very little pressure to the lever. I was riding one of the last sessions of the day going down back straight away at 130. As soon as I pulled the lever to start braking, the front brakes acted as if I had pulled the lever to the grip. Bike did an Indo then sat back down. I did crash but damage wasn't too bad cause bike stayed on side. Any suggestions on why and how I can prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks,
Brandon

Are the discs blue?
Most likely would be brake drag getting worse as the discs heat up.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 17 Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Are the discs blue?
Most likely would be brake drag getting worse as the discs heat up.
'

There were other posts recently about people's front brakes locking up on the street due to the pistons not fully releasing because of corrosion or dirt.
Take the brakes apart and clean them to make sure that they aren't binding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-05-2013, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37

Here:
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...ocking-up.html
post #5 of 17 Old 06-05-2013, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 77

Scary stuff hope you can get it sorted otherwise your going to have no piece of mind on it again!

Bike build Vblog latest Update
http://youtu.be/2ISgxtQXs9o

My 900RR Winter Project
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...er-revamp.html
post #6 of 17 Old 06-05-2013, 1:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for any info you guys can share. I definitely will be re-building everything before I am pushing again.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-26-2013, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Well bike is re-built as well as the calipers. I am struggling to get the front brakes to the point of not being spongy. I have PSR levers on the bike and the #1 setting touches the clip on with no problem. I have some pressure on the #6 setting (lever all the way out) but it is still not right. I cannot seem to get the air out of system. Hours and hours of bleeding, no good results. I have used vacuum, old fashioned method, syringe( which I can't seem to push fluid up because pressure), read every post in this forum, still banging my head in my hands. Sh!t. Anyone have more advice?
post #8 of 17 Old 06-27-2013, 2:19 AM

The standard mc has a bleed nipple on it, I couldn't get mine right without having to bleed the air out here also, does the psr have this? Also I presume no leaks or seals gone on the calipers? I had that problem also and had to replace piston seals.

My 900RR Winter Project
post #9 of 17 Old 06-27-2013, 2:21 AM

Sorry just seen its psr levers not mc. Try bleeding air at mc if you have not already

My 900RR Winter Project
post #10 of 17 Old 06-28-2013, 2:37 PM

Reputation Power: 9

I was riding my '93 RS 125 a track day years ago, and had something similar happen. Going down the back straight at Mosport's Rider Development track, the front brake locked up on me. Luckily I was able to pull off, but I couldn't move the bike. I had to wait until the brake cooled before the wheel would turn.

What happened was through use some crud had gotten into the brake lines and fluid, and somewhere along the way a tiny hole in the master cylinder had gotten clogged up. With heat from braking there was some expansion of the fluid, but it couldn't get back up into the reservoir, and could only move the pistons in the caliper. Once that hole got cleared, bleeding the system was super easy, and the brake worked like new.

May not be what your problem is, but if there is dirt in your system, your master may need to be cleaned out as well as the calipers. Just a thought.
post #11 of 17 Old 06-28-2013, 2:39 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG929 View Post
I was riding my '93 RS 125 a track day years ago, and had something similar happen. Going down the back straight at Mosport's Rider Development track, the front brake locked up on me. Luckily I was able to pull off, but I couldn't move the bike. I had to wait until the brake cooled before the wheel would turn.

What happened was through use some crud had gotten into the brake lines and fluid, and somewhere along the way a tiny hole in the master cylinder had gotten clogged up. With heat from braking there was some expansion of the fluid, but it couldn't get back up into the reservoir, and could only move the pistons in the caliper. Once that hole got cleared, bleeding the system was super easy, and the brake worked like new.

May not be what your problem is, but if there is dirt in your system, your master may need to be cleaned out as well as the calipers. Just a thought.

Yep, I crashed at 200kph due to the same problem.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #12 of 17 Old 06-28-2013, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Yep, I crashed at 200kph due to the same problem.
JEEEZZZ that's nuts, you guys are freaking me out!!!!! I gonna look at my bikes brakes again just to be safe!!!
post #13 of 17 Old 06-29-2013, 2:26 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezy666 View Post
JEEEZZZ that's nuts, you guys are freaking me out!!!!! I gonna look at my bikes brakes again just to be safe!!!

That's why we push so hard to get people to replace their brake fluid regularly, before crud can build up, and CLEAN the pistons every time you replace the pads, before pressing them into the calipers and damaging the seals. If you only replace the pads on rare occasions get in there and clean the pistons more regularly. Fresh fluid and clean pistons every year is good maintenance.

A mate of mine loaned his old racebike to a friend who had come over from England so he could join us in a race. It had been sitting in the shed for a couple of years but there hadn't been time to give it a thorough going over beforehand. He also crashed when the front locked up due to brake drag. This was on a street circuit which was even scarier, but luckily he got away with just a broken kneecap from memory.

You can ignore the rear brake though. I put a new tyre on the back of my ZX6R yesterday. The rear caliper and master cylinder were both locked up solid due to lack of use :-)

post #14 of 17 Old 06-29-2013, 5:09 AM

Reputation Power: 36

I am definately looking over my brakes tomorrow! !!

But to the brake bleeding. I did that with clutch today on bobbered goldwing he tried for hours.

Put your lever setting at one lever all the way in. Use a deepwell socket and ratchet or 1/4screwdriver. So you can get a full half turn atleast over 1/4 turn then back to snug for first few bleeds the once building pressure do quicker open closes with smaller cracking of bleeder.

ITS IS KEY TO PUMP SLOWLY

Don't try and speed bleed. Nice and slow in and out 5-10 pumps, fast rapid pumps get you hours behind.
Once you get as much pressure then adjust lever to desired setting.

Patience is virtue Slow easy pumps in and out in and out.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-29-2013, 10:41 AM

Reputation Power: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezy666 View Post
Not meant to freak out anyone, just experience that might help out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page