Bumpy ride on smooth roads, in gear or neutral - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-05-2013, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

Bumpy ride on smooth roads, in gear or neutral

So I always noticed it, but just always thought it was at low rpms and that was how my bike ran. Figured the PC3 map I flashed was a little choppy down low, but after a friend rode my bike he thought it was my front tire. I did not think it was a big deal either until I rode his R6 and felt how smooth it was. The problem is my bike feels like its hitting small bumps (maybe every tire rotation) at any speed and even with the clutch in or bike in neutral. So this takes away any engine/fuel issues I thought I was having. Over the winter I put on a chain with one of those master links you screw on then snap the rods giving them a rivet like connection (cant think of the name). Is it possible my master link is too tight, or maybe my chain is too tight. I adjusted the chain myself and had a hard time measuring the slack. Also I recently adjusted my suspension to some settings I found online and they had me adjust the front end to pretty much full stiff. Could it just be too stiff causing a bumpy feel to the road?

I will try to check the chain today, but do not have much time to work on my bike anymore, so I figured I would see if I can get a good direction to start in. My front wheel has a new tire and was recently balanced.

01 929
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-05-2013, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37

Re: Bumpy ride on smooth roads, in gear or neutral

Definitely make sure you don't have the chain adjusted too tight, but I'd bet that you have the front end set way too stiff now. That can cause the feeling you are experiencing.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-05-2013, 7:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsta13 View Post
Definitely make sure you don't have the chain adjusted too tight, but I'd bet that you have the front end set way too stiff now. That can cause the feeling you are experiencing.
So my chain may have been a little tight I loosened it to 1.75 inches and set my front and rear suspension back to stock settings. Took it for a ride and it still has the lumpy feeling. Almost as if my rim is bent. It is much more noticeable at lower speeds. At highway speeds you cannot feel it. My master link in the chain does not look any tighter than the other links btw. I hate to pay and take it somewhere, but maybe it is a wheel bearing? If my wheels were out of balance wouldnt it be more noticeable at higher speeds rather than lower?

01 929
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-06-2013, 1:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37

It really sounds like a wheel is out of balance. When you have a wheel out of balance they will go from being noticeable at a certain speed to almost unnoticeable, and from what I remember, it's about as you described.
A wheel bearing usually has some accompanying noise, but I've never had a bearing go out on my bike so I'm not sure what it would feel like.
Stupid question, but did you inspect the rims to see if they were bent?
post #5 of 13 Old 06-06-2013, 1:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

How is the wear on the tires? If you locked up your brakes at any point you could have a small flat spot onthe tire.

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
- Franklin D. Roosevelt
2002 954
post #6 of 13 Old 06-06-2013, 4:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 29

Hmm, shall be watching this Topic myself as I get the same thing.
I've noticed it because of the relatively short time that I've had Fireblades I've experienced two very different 929's.
My second one I definitely get the same feeling as the OP when riding along.
Sort of feels like hitting random small stones constantly. I wouldn't describe mine as every rotation by any means but it is quite a lot.
I have had the front end up and felt for wheel bearing but I haven't looked at the suspension settings (how would you know where they should be ?)
post #7 of 13 Old 06-06-2013, 5:14 PM

Reputation Power: 113

Get her up on the stands, put something next to the tyre (a brick or something that won't move will work), and spin the wheel. The gap between the object and the tyre should be constant - if it varies in one or more spots then you know that's where the issue is.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-06-2013, 6:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsta13 View Post
It really sounds like a wheel is out of balance. When you have a wheel out of balance they will go from being noticeable at a certain speed to almost unnoticeable, and from what I remember, it's about as you described.
A wheel bearing usually has some accompanying noise, but I've never had a bearing go out on my bike so I'm not sure what it would feel like.
Stupid question, but did you inspect the rims to see if they were bent?
I only visually inspected. I will try to put it up in the air this weekend and spin it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick0716 View Post
How is the wear on the tires? If you locked up your brakes at any point you could have a small flat spot onthe tire.
The front is brand new, the rear has a lot of life left. I do not see any flat spots on either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollari View Post
Hmm, shall be watching this Topic myself as I get the same thing.
I've noticed it because of the relatively short time that I've had Fireblades I've experienced two very different 929's.
My second one I definitely get the same feeling as the OP when riding along.
Sort of feels like hitting random small stones constantly. I wouldn't describe mine as every rotation by any means but it is quite a lot.
I have had the front end up and felt for wheel bearing but I haven't looked at the suspension settings (how would you know where they should be ?)
The more I thought about it today it is not every tire rotation but happens every few seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post
Get her up on the stands, put something next to the tyre (a brick or something that won't move will work), and spin the wheel. The gap between the object and the tyre should be constant - if it varies in one or more spots then you know that's where the issue is.
I will give that a try asap. Thanks

01 929
post #9 of 13 Old 06-07-2013, 8:57 AM

Reputation Power: 9

Lift up the front wheel and give it a good spin If it is a wheel bearing you will hear it grinding Also check that the wheel is not wobbling from side to side good luck Im picking a wheel bearing
post #10 of 13 Old 06-07-2013, 3:48 PM

As we've got a topic about it I took more notice of it tonight whilst riding home.

I would say it's only when I'm off the power, not necessarily braking, but throttle off completely, so de-accelerating.

Another thing I've noticed with this bike is its rising and diving, more than it seems necessary when on and off the throttle whilst cornering.

These lead me to think there's something going on suspension wise, but what can I check regarding this? I see there are adjuster settings on top of the forks , but if I were to adjust what is the method?
post #11 of 13 Old 06-07-2013, 4:09 PM

Reputation Power: 113

It could just be that it's the front tyre that's "out of round", and you have the damping set too soft also

Suspension setup is a WHOLE other thread.

Motorcycle Suspension Setup

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-07-2013, 5:11 PM

I got half through that page, but it's late and Stella. I'll read when I've more time.

If the tire was "out of round " wouldn't the sensation be more constant though?
post #13 of 13 Old 06-09-2013, 4:04 PM Thread Starter

So it looks like my suspension was set way too tight. I went back to factory settings and decided to do the cable tie test to see how much travel I use. At factory settings I had 40mm left of unused travel. I read I should leave ten mm so I went all the way soft and now have approx 28mm of unused travel. The ride is way smoother now though. I bought the bike lowered and am starting to think they are not factory springs because I am all the way out of preload and still cannot get close to 10mm. I weigh 200 pounds. So I am thinking my springs are way to stiff. Do people use stiff springs when they lower and stretch a bike?

01 929

Last edited by socci; 06-09-2013 at 5:55 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page