the stupid key grrrr! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-06-2004, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

the stupid key grrrr!

Today, my fukin key broke and the fukin tip is stuck in the ignition lock. Now the freakin bike is locked with the broken key piece stuck in and i have the other half of the key. This is really fuked up, i called the locksmith and he was unable to take it out. He said there is no way anyone can take this out, you need a new lock. SO i tried taking the only lock out but it dont want to come out. Now the thing is that i found something on ebay, which is this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEBWA%3AIT should i get this and replace the whole thing by taking it to the dealer and pay them only labor? and get a key made for the gas tank and trunk for 90 bucks. Or i just get a new OEM lock set from ronayers which can be found at www.ronayers.com fiche - honda - CBR900RR CBR - CBR900RR 1998-99 - Handlebar top bridge - 1 LOCK SET. Has anyone ever done this? and willing to help me? so i can save money and not go to the dealer? please help me out, im so freakin pissed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-06-2004, 12:16 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot
Re: the stupid key grrrr!

You try using a small pair of tweezers? This happened to me and I used some out of a Victorinox knife.
Good Luck,
Chris

Last edited by NinerPilot; 03-06-2004 at 12:16 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-06-2004, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

nothing worked man, im so freakin pissed and sad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-06-2004, 3:30 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via MSN to matt232

Couple of ideas off the top of my head....not tried or tested. Use them at your own risk. But if the lock is going to be replaced anyway there isn't much to lose.

Get a bit of wire and a small drop of quick setting glue that bonds metal to metal on the end of the wire...feed the wire down onto the busted key (being incredably careful that you don't touch the lock drum with the glue) wait for it to dry and see if you then have enough grip to remove the busted key.

Or you can try and cut a hook shaped grove into the busted key if you can see it and then use that to "hook" onto the key and pull it out.

basically just try anything that will give you a better purchase on the broken key end so it can be removed.

Hopefully I'm being helpful, but I'm sure I'm not because you no doubt have gone through all these scenarios yourself.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-06-2004, 3:35 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via MSN to matt232

On second thought to get a better contact with the glue idea.....use the other end of the key and try and line it up so there is a proper contact between the two pieces. But again the danger is gluing the key into the drum, just be sparing with the glue to reduce this risk.

Best of luck!! (Damn these not crossed fingers smilie)
post #6 of 15 Old 03-06-2004, 3:35 PM Thread Starter

thanks a lot matt, ill try some of these ideas.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-07-2004, 7:16 PM Thread Starter

nothing worked, what i did was i cut the freakin lock into two pieces now and it came off. now im just buying that off ebay and putting that one in, just gotta get new keys for the trunk and gas tank lock. Anyone know how can i take the gas tank lock off or the trunk lock off? so i can take them to the local keymaker for new keys? or i just have to take the whole bike when the ignition lock is in? PS: the gas tank lock and trunk lock is LOCKED. so thats why i cant figure it out a way to open them.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-08-2004, 12:05 AM

I thought the gas tank lock bolted in...? The trunk lock is a pita, but not too tough. It will unbolt so you can move it around, I just have no idea how you would get to it to unbolt it without the key to open the seat up in the first place. But then you have to disconnect the cable and so fourth to the lock. I may be talking out of my A$$ this whole time, but as far as I know, that is how it works.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-08-2004, 1:23 AM Thread Starter

well thats what im confused about, how am i gonna take the locks out. i tried taking the bolts out for the gas tank lock but until its locked i cant take it out. im fuked big time
post #10 of 15 Old 03-08-2004, 1:56 AM

Reputation Power: 18

WantaHonda, I would think your motorcycle should have a key code for it registered with the dealer, or the dealer should be able to detemine what the code is, based on your bike's VIN, and should then be able to have keys made up to that code. At least, I hope that's how it works.
Otherwise, it looks like you might be looking at an expensive change of ignition and locks all around.

Silver/black CBR954RR
Unsanctioned, unofficial, unloved Honda test rider
post #11 of 15 Old 03-08-2004, 11:02 AM

I lost my spare keys in a move and neglected to replace them before I lost the remaining 900RR key. Took the ignition into the dealer- was basically cut up and unusable. They were still able to cut me a key that worked in my tank and trunk. Dunno if your VIN will give them key info, but that is worth a try as well.
Good luck.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-08-2004, 12:56 PM

I went thru a simelar thing. To get the gas tank lock off, I had to take the entire tank to a locksmith. He picked the lock, after which I was able to unbolt.

Anyway, the above posts are right, locksmiths can usually cut you a key from just the code.

Good Luck
post #13 of 15 Old 03-08-2004, 3:02 PM Thread Starter

damnit man, thanks guys, ill try to take it to the dealer.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-13-2004, 2:22 AM

I am pretty sure that if you remove the front seat, you may be able to run a coat hanger or stiff wire (fish tape), up to the trunk lock.

On a 929, it slides left to right if you can catch the latch, I actually have a power trunk release on mine that I invented, so I know the linkage is relatively easy to move manually from the inside. You may also have to start removing the rear seat cowling, plastic retainers under frame, and Franken-bolts on sides, to get the plastic to move up some more. You won't be able to take it all the way off, but you should be able to get under the rear seat lid enough to reach the latch and push it left/right to open the seat. Then it's really easy to remove the lock cylinder and take it to a smith to re-key, and you'll be able to open your gas tank.

My key broke off last summer in the ignition, but I got it out in about 10 minutes and had a backup. I just recently bought 2 new key blanks from the Honda dealer, and they were about $8.50 each. I put graphite lube in the ignition and cut the 2 new keys off the backup, and they work better than the original ever did.

Jon
post #15 of 15 Old 03-14-2004, 2:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicusMaximus
I am pretty sure that if you remove the front seat, you may be able to run a coat hanger or stiff wire (fish tape), up to the trunk lock.

On a 929, it slides left to right if you can catch the latch, I actually have a power trunk release on mine that I invented, so I know the linkage is relatively easy to move manually from the inside. You may also have to start removing the rear seat cowling, plastic retainers under frame, and Franken-bolts on sides, to get the plastic to move up some more. You won't be able to take it all the way off, but you should be able to get under the rear seat lid enough to reach the latch and push it left/right to open the seat. Then it's really easy to remove the lock cylinder and take it to a smith to re-key, and you'll be able to open your gas tank.

My key broke off last summer in the ignition, but I got it out in about 10 minutes and had a backup. I just recently bought 2 new key blanks from the Honda dealer, and they were about $8.50 each. I put graphite lube in the ignition and cut the 2 new keys off the backup, and they work better than the original ever did.

Jon
well, i think i got the situation solved now. I had to cut the lock into two pieces and while doing that i scratched off my key code which was really stupid of me, but i was doing something like this for the first time and i did not know where the keycode is located at and what it is. But after going to a shitload of locksmiths i finally found my locksmith, i gave him the broken lock and the keycode. From his books and all that stuff, he made a key and said well try this and if it does not work then you will have to bring your bike here. I went home and tried it and it worked. I was shocked and i know that locksmith knows his ****. So now my gas tank and rear seat lock is good, just waiting for the ignition lock which i ordered from ebay. Now i learned from this. thanks for the replies guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page