can anyone rec me a long lasting but stilll light tire? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-09-2013, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

can anyone rec me a long lasting but stilll light tire?

ive got a set of bridgestones i believe on my new 929, soon ill be changing them. i ride mostly all highway not many turns etc.. i need something that wont wear out in a few months like the power pilots etc. i put a set of shinko ravens on my last bike and the gripped well but were heavy and the bike was harder to turn with them. what would be a good st type tire that wont rob me of power and will still last decently long? i was think of the conti motions or conti road attacks. ill spend up to 300$ for a set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-09-2013, 8:47 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Re: can anyone rec me a long lasting but stilll light tire?

If weight is a concern then go to your tyre guy and weigh the following tyres, and pick what's in budget:
Pilot road 3 (2 is cheaper and just as good, 1 is old tech but still plenty good enough for highways)
Pirelli angel (my personal favourite)
Bridgestone bt023 (fronts may wear strangely)

All the new breed of st tyres grip better than super sport tyres of yesteryear and all last many times as long.

However if weight is only a concern regarding steering input then you're fighting a compromise. St tyres have flatter profiles for more relaxed steering and stable cruising - this feature however also contributes to the tyres life since they have a bigger patch at upright angles so don't square off as badly. They do conversely have a bit less patch at race track angles but for most of us it makes no difference. Certainly not from day to day anyway.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-10-2013, 3:29 AM
jud

Reputation Power: 0

Angel st are my favourites too by far. Last extremely well
Grip is great. Never had a problem with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-10-2013, 6:54 AM Thread Starter

well i went with a set of conti motions.. i was looking at the conti rd attack but from what i read they are softer so id expect less life from them. i have the bt23 now and the front is wearing kinda funny. so ill give the conti a try, they were like 180$ shipped for both
post #5 of 7 Old 06-10-2013, 2:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorti View Post
If weight is a concern then go to your tyre guy and weigh the following tyres, and pick what's in budget:
Pilot road 3 (2 is cheaper and just as good, 1 is old tech but still plenty good enough for highways)
Pirelli angel (my personal favourite)
Bridgestone bt023 (fronts may wear strangely)

All the new breed of st tyres grip better than super sport tyres of yesteryear and all last many times as long.

However if weight is only a concern regarding steering input then you're fighting a compromise. St tyres have flatter profiles for more relaxed steering and stable cruising - this feature however also contributes to the tyres life since they have a bigger patch at upright angles so don't square off as badly. They do conversely have a bit less patch at race track angles but for most of us it makes no difference. Certainly not from day to day anyway.

Thanks for your effort but I think I will waste your time and go with what I was going to go with originally!!!!!
post #6 of 7 Old 06-10-2013, 4:31 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97grnrs View Post
ive got a set of bridgestones i believe on my new 929, soon ill be changing them. i ride mostly all highway not many turns etc.. i need something that wont wear out in a few months like the power pilots etc. i put a set of shinko ravens on my last bike and the gripped well but were heavy and the bike was harder to turn with them. what would be a good st type tire that wont rob me of power and will still last decently long? i was think of the conti motions or conti road attacks. ill spend up to 300$ for a set.

Exactly how much heavier are the Shinkos?
Most tyres I've weighed run around 4000gms for 120/70-17 and 6000gms for 180/55-17 and 190/50-17.
I have Shinkos on my ZX6R currently but never thought to weigh them, they weren't noticeably heavier when I installed them though.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 7 Old 06-10-2013, 4:35 PM Thread Starter

i went with the shinko ravens which have a super deep tread. i suppose thats what makes them heavier..they rode ok but def a noticable difference between them and the power pilots i had on before them .this was on a gsxr 750. hopefully the conti motions will do ok for me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page