Need help - an electrical gremlin has infested my 954 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-09-2013, 3:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Need help - an electrical gremlin has infested my 954

2003 954RR, I have about 21900 on the clock and it runs like a top! A little over a month ago I stopped to get fuel and when I turned the key back to the on position the pump failed to prime and headlight would not come on. First place to check was here and I found the common culprits such as the tip over sensor, relays, kill switch, etc. Checked all of those, swapped relays around, checked the kill switch, disconnected the ECU and next thing I know it starts up just fine. Rode the bike to work the next day and when I go to leave, she acts up again - same problem. I left it there overnight, tried it again the next day and still no signal to ignition. Starter works just fine, all indicators say FIRE, but something is disrupting the signal for spark. I put her on the trailer, brought her home and a few days later tried her again and she fired right up. Since then, about 20 successful starts. Rode to work and home yesterday, go out today and UGH, it's back! No signal for ignition! Obviously it's not the tip sensor, doubt it's a relay or I would "think" I would be getting more issues or it would have gone bad all the way by now (besides I did swap it out early on so that would mean 2 relays going bad??), kill switch was taken apart and cleaned - not a bit of corrosion in there. I'm really at a loss now as to what could be causing it to be so intermittent. Chasing this electrical gremlin down is a real PITA and I'm about to the point where I'm considering just parting it out for the bulk of the $ that she's worth (engine, frame, etc). Really love riding her but can't trust that she will restart every time I turn her off. Anyone ever experience this or have any clue/ideas of what could be causing it?

Also, before anyone asks, there is no Power Commander installed and I also removed my Scorpio alarm in case it was the culprit - which it apparently was not. And no codes, dash lights up like normal - just no fuel pump priming and the headlight doesn't come on when the gremlin rears it's ugly head.

Last edited by jdm72; 06-09-2013 at 3:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-09-2013, 8:50 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Re: Need help - an electrical gremlin has infested my 954

Have you blasted the ignition lock with contact cleaning spray yet (wd40 would do)?

Find the earth terminal and clean it up.

Could there be a break in the loom that only shows up eg after parking or with the steering tipped full left?
post #3 of 11 Old 06-09-2013, 8:52 PM

How was the alarm fitted / removed? Cable crimps (scotch lock) or decent crimps or solder? Those connectors can split the wire inside the sheath enough so that it gives an intermittent fault.

Still struggling to find anything in common in the headlight and ignition (but not everything else) except earthing and ignition switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-10-2013, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Have not done anything with the ignition lock, wasn't sure if that could even be anything but I did suspect it might be and didn't utilize the steering lock during the last couple weeks that it ran fine. I'll try that with some WD40.

The alarm was fitted with a Scorpio harness and with crimped terminals rather than the shade tree mechanic electrical tape job. There was no change with or without the alarm though so I eliminated that a possible suspect.

The headlight/fuel pump are tied to the ignition system together, so it has to be something that disrupts the signal for ignition - like what the kill switch does. Would you happen to know the location of the earth ground on the 954? If not I'll pull out my manual and start perusing it.

Thanks for the tips. We'll see if the ignition lock getting some WD40 down inside helps.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-10-2013, 5:06 AM

Fill the lock, work the key a few times, repeat til the key comes out clean and no more crud is dripping from the lock. You will want lot of shop rag under the lock barrel.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-10-2013, 6:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Kill switch needs a good cleaning/rebuilding perhaps?
post #7 of 11 Old 06-10-2013, 5:26 PM Thread Starter

No dice on the ignition lock, and the kill switch was immaculate inside. The bike has been garage kept it's entire life and only been in rain when at work, and even then it had a cover on most of the times to protect things. I guess it's time to tear off plastics and trace the wires from the ignition lock back and see if there's some damaged insulation. I'm out of ideas....
post #8 of 11 Old 06-11-2013, 12:07 AM

Start with the wiring diagram. There won't be many wires that could give the symptoms you have. Check them first. Start by places like anywhere the the wire is tagged to the frame.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-26-2013, 12:33 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Starting last week, I started having exactly the same problem with my 2003 954RR. The problem is very random when it occurs and is making it hard to trust the bike. I have spent the better part of the last three days tracing wires and testing components and have still failed to find an root cause. On the plus side, I have managed to rule the fuel pump and relays out as the issue.

If your problem is the same as mine, if you jump from the positive on the battery to the black wire coming off of the rectifier, the fuel pump should kick on and allow the bike to start. Unfortunately, the headlights still do not come on. Something else I noticed, is that the entire fuel control system is not getting power. I have a PowerCommander on the bike (yes, I tried removing it verify that it is not the problem), if I just turn on the key it does not light up, but when I jumper the wire to test start the bike, the throttle position lights up on it.

Hopefully one of us will figure it out and can help the other. If I manage to find the fault in mine, I will let you know.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-26-2013, 9:58 AM

Reputation Power: 8

after 44k the only two times my 954 failed me were when i let it sit over a couple months and had a coil go bad, 2nd battery corrosion on the negitive post to the point where it left me staranded in a parking lot. check your grounds.

Last edited by chris954rr; 06-30-2013 at 10:33 AM.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-01-2013, 8:11 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I'm having a similar issue. Has anyone found the common issue on this yet in regards the the grounding?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page