Help with 1993 900rr ignition switch - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-10-2013, 2:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Help with 1993 900rr ignition switch

I am trying to figure out what I need. Putting a bike back together, and I found out my hunch was correct and the wires to the ign switch was all hacked apart. They are hooked up to a 6 or 8 pin connector, but only has 3 wires coming out of it.

I got a new ignition switch, but the plugs aren't all the same.

Here's a picture on ebay of the plug I have that's hacked:

New Aftermarket Ignition Switch Honda 93-97 CBR900RR Hurricane CBR

The new plug is a two prong plug with a ground:

Lockset Lock Set Ignition Gas Cap Tail Keys Honda CBR900RR 893 919 1993 1997 | eBay

I've seen all the iterations on ebay, and I don't know which one is correct, or if I'm missing a connector on the bike. At best can someone help me with the correct wiring if I am to cut/splice? I realize there may be a zener diode issue, but if my bike is a 1993 carbeurated bike it might not be an issue?

I'd love to know what these three wires are. I am flipping through some pdf manuals and it doesn't seem to indicate the plug or wiring clearly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-10-2013, 4:09 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Help with 1993 900rr ignition switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
I am trying to figure out what I need. Putting a bike back together, and I found out my hunch was correct and the wires to the ign switch was all hacked apart. They are hooked up to a 6 or 8 pin connector, but only has 3 wires coming out of it.

I got a new ignition switch, but the plugs aren't all the same.

Here's a picture on ebay of the plug I have that's hacked:

New Aftermarket Ignition Switch Honda 93-97 CBR900RR Hurricane CBR

The new plug is a two prong plug with a ground:

Lockset Lock Set Ignition Gas Cap Tail Keys Honda CBR900RR 893 919 1993 1997 | eBay

I've seen all the iterations on ebay, and I don't know which one is correct, or if I'm missing a connector on the bike. At best can someone help me with the correct wiring if I am to cut/splice? I realize there may be a zener diode issue, but if my bike is a 1993 carbeurated bike it might not be an issue?

I'd love to know what these three wires are. I am flipping through some pdf manuals and it doesn't seem to indicate the plug or wiring clearly.
If the switch is aftermarket then you need the diode from the original switch.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 8 Old 06-10-2013, 9:22 PM Thread Starter

I did a search for this and people only mention a pink wire.. which I don't seem to have. I'm still trying to figure out what wire matches which one so I can wire it all back together. I really just wanted new keys and switches since the old bike was all hacked up from being stolen and all mismatched cylinders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-11-2013, 1:00 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
I did a search for this and people only mention a pink wire.. which I don't seem to have. I'm still trying to figure out what wire matches which one so I can wire it all back together. I really just wanted new keys and switches since the old bike was all hacked up from being stolen and all mismatched cylinders.

You don't have the pink wire on your harness or on your original switch?

Just checked the wiring diagrams and it looks like only '98/'99 US models have the pink wire. Prior to that the switch only has three wires.

You shouldn't need to cut or splice anything, use a fine probe (grinding a point on a wheel spoke works really well for this) to press the terminals out of the OEM connector (they have a tiny spring clip in the back of each terminal) and press the new ones into the same holes.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 8 Old 06-11-2013, 8:22 AM Thread Starter

I am back to the same original problem however: The connectors aren't the same neither are the colors of the wires. I don't know which wire goes where. I'm a novice at electrical troubleshooting for switches with a multimeter, and even if I did know, I don't know which wire goes to the switch!

I was hoping the OEM harness had a 2 prong plus a ground wire clip, but I can't find it in a diagram. What I have on the bike is a crimp connected plug that goes to 3 wires to the original ignition... which none of the wire colors match. The ignition switch looks slightly different as well, so I can't go on faith that the wire positions are "almost right".
post #6 of 8 Old 06-11-2013, 8:25 AM Thread Starter

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/att...-900rr-001.jpg

I found this searching, and it says Fan IGN Batt, which has a blue with yellow stripe, red with black, and red.

The new switch has a BLACK wire that is separate from a 2 pin harness.. with the 2 pin harness I can't remember what color, but either way the colors don't match.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-17-2013, 5:08 PM Thread Starter

Still haven't had time to work on this situation... but I was thinking in a way, if the ignition switch still is on/off, depending on how this plug works/switch... would it even matter what wire I tap it to considering if I do not have this pink wire/zener diode, then it wouldn't really matter which wires I connect to what?
post #8 of 8 Old 06-27-2013, 1:32 PM Thread Starter

Spoke with someone a little more gifted in electronics. Found out that the single pigtailed wire should be the POWER wire, which should be isolated differently than the FAN and IGN wire. Tapped the other two wires together and it starts up great now. Looks like either there is no diode (no pink wire in my harness, only the three wires) Or.. it is built in. I had the bike running for 5 minutes without any problem, now time to patch everything up and put it together!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page