Dead 900RR - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-10-2013, 8:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Dead 900RR

Okay, so I changed my clutch friction plates as the bike would no longer climb up my driveway. When I put the clutch cover back on I inadvertently pinched the oil sender (?) wire when I tightened the bolts down. I didn't notice this until after I had started the bike and let it run for awhile. After I noticed it I parked the bike and removed the clutch cover to find that the wire was still intact but frayed in two different locations. I checked resistance from the connection to the frayed spot furthest away and it was still good. When I tried to restart the bike it was completely dead. No life whatsoever. Gauge lights wouldn't turn on, my fuel pump wouldn't pump, and no action from the starter. I have checked every fuse that I know about that I think would pertain to starting the bike, and all are good. Yes, even the 20A fuse that's plugged into the starter relay. Does anyone have any idear whatsoever could be causing this problem?

Bike is a 1993 900RR.

Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-11-2013, 9:01 PM Thread Starter

Re: Dead 900RR

Nobody owns a 900 anymore?

My battery is fully charged up. I've checked voltage to the starter relay, but if that was bad I would at least have dash lights and headlights. I have absolutely nothing, nada.

Anyone have any ideas?
post #3 of 4 Old 06-12-2013, 2:39 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTRSPRT View Post
Nobody owns a 900 anymore?

My battery is fully charged up. I've checked voltage to the starter relay, but if that was bad I would at least have dash lights and headlights. I have absolutely nothing, nada.

Anyone have any ideas?

Lots of people own them, that hardly means they can diagnose your problem though :-)
I guess you will have to follow the power from the battery to find where it stops.
If you have no dash lights then I'd be looking at the ignition switch and the connection between the battery and the harness.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-14-2013, 8:31 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got the frontend tore apart and started troubleshooting at the ignition switch. It ohm'd out fine. The very first connector I came to was very difficult to separate, which made me suspicious. Sure enough, once apart the red wire connection got hot enough to melt the surroundings of the connector. I cut out the connector and rewired the wires. What do you know?? The bike again has power to everything! Now it's time to start tucking wires a little and replace instrument cluster bulbs--if I can find out exactly what type the 2 small ones are (the 7 larger ones are 194 bulbs).

MOTRSPRT
1993 CBR900RR

94 bodywork, PM Chicane race wheels 17x6.25/17x3.5, Keihin 39mm FCR carbs, Ontario Moto-Tech triple clamps, custom MOTRSPRT underseat exhaust, RC51 SP1 brake calipers/mc, CRG brake/clutch levers, R1 rear hugger

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page