blown fork seal... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-06-2004, 5:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

blown fork seal...

So, with only 300 miles on the clock, the seal in my left fork has failed. It was leaking so bad that it was dripping on the floor in the garage!

It took the bike back to the dealer I bought it from, hoping that the manf. warranty would cover the replacement. Now, I'm getting some song and dance about how they have to get clearance from Honda before they'll do the work. Well, that was ten days ago. I haven't heard anything from them. I'll be going down there tomorrow, but was just curious if anyone else has had this kind of experience with warranty work from Honda. Is this normal operating procedure? Does this time frame seem unduly long? Am I just being impatient?

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-06-2004, 9:21 AM

Re: blown fork seal...

that seems like an awfully long time to be waiting.

when i would take my blade in they would fix it or not, if it was questionable (like with mods) they would let me know within the day.

i would go to the manager or shop owner and speak to them
post #3 of 5 Old 03-06-2004, 10:36 AM

No way in hell it takes that long to get an approval on warranty work. What's the name of the stealership? I'll call the service department and ask them how long it takes to get warranty work approved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba
i would go to the manager or shop owner and speak to them
A fork seal blew on my XX at 2000 mi. and the only grief that I received was an inference that this may have happened by doing wheelies. A discussion ensued as to my purchasing habits and the role that their dealership may play in said purchases. I never heard another word about wheelies.

I should add that even if they suspected that this was caused by abuse they had the seal fixed in one day, no charge. The wheelie comment came as I was walking out the door.

Life always looks better through bugs on a face shield.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-07-2004, 4:20 AM Thread Starter

So, I went back to the dealer today. They said that Honda would replace the seal, but she forgot to mention the dinged fork slider. Now, I have to wait to see if they'll replace the fork tube also. She said that she would ask if they would "good faith" the tube. God, I hope so, or else I'm out $350!

I know the wait seems like a long time, but I haven't really had good luck anywhere in this town when it comes to timely repairs and servicing. I try to stick with Honda dealers for all the major services, but I may have to check out some independent shops. When I brought my VFR in for a valve adjustment, I scheduled an appointment and it still took them 3 days to get the job done. This was at a different Honda dealership.

So, now I wait some more...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page