Advice welcome.......mibbees ayes or mibbees naws? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-15-2013, 2:50 PM Thread Starter
FNG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Advice welcome.......mibbees ayes or mibbees naws?

Hi guys

Im new to the site (intro on intro page) and would welcome your opinions.

I recently passed my test and have bought myself a very very tidy RR-S (Black/Uranus Violet), now im very happy with her (Bella) condition, just going over the obvious little things that I need to rectify such as oil, filter, brake fluid, coolant, air filter, indicators, levers, new aftermarket banjo brake switches and number plate, and of course chain and sprockets.

Whilst talking her on a wee run the other week I noticed that she would clunk as I was preparing to turn at junctions, now she revs fine, pulls like a train, gets up to silly speeds quickly and has no odd noises apart from the characteristic tick of the valves, no irregular idle, just this peculiar clunk when slowing for the left turns, I know the chain is fekkered (it's rusty and has enough slack to enable it to hit bottom of the swingarm)

In pretty sure its not the engine (it's not in time with the revs) but obviously cant get my head down to listen better, so does anybody fancy giving the newbie the benefit of their wisdom? I haven't changed chain and sprockets yet but would value any ideas.

Oh and for those interested the guys at toolstop.co.uk are doing 8nm-50nm Norbar torque wrenches for the low price of £59 with free delivery.......i know as I just got one, just waiting on the 30nm-150nm now lol......again going for the Norbar as its only £79 with free postage...... Great prices for quality accurate toolage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-15-2013, 6:52 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Re: Advice welcome.......mibbees ayes or mibbees naws?

Bit much for a first bike? But great bikes. I'm on my third carb blade now.

Could well be your chain! When you change it, test the bearing in the sprocket assembly for play too. Other than that I'd suspect any play in any other bearings such as linkage and steering, I'd also check the pads are secure in the calipers (all 3). Basic cycle parts stuff really, nothing on these bikes is black magic it all pretty self explanatory, or else you have us and mr Haynes.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-15-2013, 6:54 PM

Depends the type of noise but if you're giving it a lot of engine braking I guess the clutch could be slipping. See what it does in third if you pin the throttle from low revs. You'll need a lot of road for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-16-2013, 7:26 AM Thread Starter
FNG

Hi

Thanx for the pointers, a few have said it's a bit much for a first bike but i wanted one and today's 600's are too costly and more frantic, besides I like the 16" front wheel and the way out dives into corners, and the tune coming from the stubby Yoshimura is just delightful, but also wanted a bike I could work on myself rather than pay a fortune tip have someone plug in......

Ive got my Haines, been pouring over it regularly, fairly familiar with most aspects of bike maintenance having owned 3 Aprilia RS125s (which needed more tinkering than most bikes), kinda thought the clutch might be a contender as the freeplay in the lever is ridiculous and it disengages within about 5mm of release from the grip, but it only occurs when slowing down that has me think it's the chain (as if the countershaft sprocket is snatching at it, obviously it's not tight on the sprocket and is shifting due to lean angle and the amount of slack im play during release of power whereby the chain is still carrying its forward momentum during deceleration causing it to climb the teeth of the sprocket).......
Hope that kind of explains my thinking
post #5 of 8 Old 06-16-2013, 8:30 AM

Agree with the simple to fix part, these must be the last litre bikes that anyone can have a go at. No sensors (ok one TPS sensor but no MAP, no intake temp, no lambda, no FPR, no exhaust valve, etc), simple cycle parts, you can even do the valve easy enough.

I'd say get the chain swapped first and see if it goes away. Next up get the clutch adjusted as best you can best or if it's really taking that much lever pull you could have your next suspect to change. Again, clutch is a piece of cake. I guess you've done aprilia clutches before. No silly diaphragm springs or hydraulic actuation, just a good old school multi plate clutch.

This kind of thing is tricky, as an experienced rider you'd know yourself what needs doing and you'll work it out as you go. You'll get there and you'll be learning on the way.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-16-2013, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
FNG

Appreciate the input, ive narrowed it down to one of the 2, either chain or clutch, in regards to everything else shes minted, ok wheels needs stripped and rechromed or powdercoated, indicators need replacing (cheapo fake carbon ones look crap, got nice cnc billet aluminum to replace those), the banjo switches for the brakes im doing out of preference and updating OE stuff, calipers will get an overhaul, but all the other stuff I want to do can wait till I take her off the road in winter.

Oh out of experience would you say an EBC clutch set is adequate, I could go bonkers and throw a Barnett clutch into her but thats overkill I think.

FNG
post #7 of 8 Old 06-16-2013, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
FNG

Heres my Bella.....]

FNG

Last edited by FNG; 06-16-2013 at 12:49 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-17-2013, 8:05 AM

Reputation Power: 113

Sounds like head bearings to me. At a standstill, if you hold the front brake and PUSH down on the bars, do you hear it clunk then?

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page