929 clutch adjustment issues - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 4:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

929 clutch adjustment issues

Hi Guys,

I've just fitted some stubby levers to my Blade and now need to adjust the clutch cable at the clutch end - it's pretty much at maximum at the lever. Do I really need to take the whole side fairing off to do the adjustment? Really can't be arsed to do that!

Am I best to have the lever end as tight as I can and then adjust at clutch to give more freeplay?

Also the screw at the lever end looks strange - is the thread supposed to taper nearer the end of the screw? It looks as if some of the thread is broken - I'll take a photo and upload it.

Cheers

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 5:19 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 929 clutch adjustment issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex350r View Post
Hi Guys,

I've just fitted some stubby levers to my Blade and now need to adjust the clutch cable at the clutch end - it's pretty much at maximum at the lever. Do I really need to take the whole side fairing off to do the adjustment? Really can't be arsed to do that!

Am I best to have the lever end as tight as I can and then adjust at clutch to give more freeplay?

Also the screw at the lever end looks strange - is the thread supposed to taper nearer the end of the screw? It looks as if some of the thread is broken - I'll take a photo and upload it.

Cheers

Alex

Back off the handlebar adjuster then take up most of the play at the bottom adjuster. Then use the top adjuster to fine tune the feel.
Do you need to adjust it because the clutch is not fully disengaging, or because the lever is too close to the bar?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 5:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 113

If you need to start adjusting the cable that much, it might be worth investing in another. Nothing worse than having to ride home through stop-start traffic with a snapped cable.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 5:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Back off the handlebar adjuster then take up most of the play at the bottom adjuster. Then use the top adjuster to fine tune the feel.
Do you need to adjust it because the clutch is not fully disengaging, or because the lever is too close to the bar?
Ok thanks - do I need to take off the whole right fairing to do this? or will loosing some of the bolts give me enough access?

Actually I can get the lever far enough away from the bar but the clutch engages too soon. Also I suspect it's not fully disengaging as when I blip the throttle with the clutch pulled in the bike jumps!
post #5 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 6:07 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex350r View Post
Ok thanks - do I need to take off the whole right fairing to do this? or will loosing some of the bolts give me enough access?

Actually I can get the lever far enough away from the bar but the clutch engages too soon. Also I suspect it's not fully disengaging as when I blip the throttle with the clutch pulled in the bike jumps!

No idea, I haven't had OEM fairings on my for ten years.
Is the lever adjustable?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 9:41 AM Thread Starter

Well i've just adjusted it up at the clutch end and it seems better - was actually a pretty painless job. It's at the maximum now at the clutch end though so I can't really do any more adjustment. I think i'll order a new cable as it does seem very stiff! Wheres the best place to buy a new cable? local honda dealer?

Cheers
post #7 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 9:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 113

Honda dealer is probably easiest.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page