Going to look at a 95 900rr Sun. What to look for as far as problem areas?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 06-22-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Going to look at a 95 900rr Sun. What to look for as far as problem areas??

Ok guys I have a chance to trade the 16,000mi 96 F3 I just got ( for dirt cheap) for a 95 900rr. Yes it has 44,000mi on it and bikehas been rebuilt. But I have always wanted a 900rr. My F3 could use new plastics almost all of them but is mech. sound and runs well. The owner says 900rr needs carbs rebuilt but looks very nice . Polished frame and wheels and plastics are very nice. He got a quote to rebuild carbs for $800. I am a fairly mech. guy and into cars and drag race so might tackle that myself. I guess I would like to know what you guys think and if there is any thing I should look for as far as problem areas or anything like that on the 900rr. He said it runs decent and is still very fast even though carbs need rebuild. I just want it to run decent enough to ride rest of the summer then work on carbs over winter. I am gonna have to put money into my bike for plastics so rather spend the money on the 900rrs carbs. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 06-22-2013, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Re: Going to look at a 95 900rr Sun. What to look for as far as problem areas??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novicoupe View Post
Ok guys I have a chance to trade the 16,000mi 96 F3 I just got ( for dirt cheap) for a 95 900rr. Yes it has 44,000mi on it and bikehas been rebuilt. But I have always wanted a 900rr. My F3 could use new plastics almost all of them but is mech. sound and runs well. The owner says 900rr needs carbs rebuilt but looks very nice . Polished frame and wheels and plastics are very nice. He got a quote to rebuild carbs for $800. I am a fairly mech. guy and into cars and drag race so might tackle that myself. I guess I would like to know what you guys think and if there is any thing I should look for as far as problem areas or anything like that on the 900rr. He said it runs decent and is still very fast even though carbs need rebuild. I just want it to run decent enough to ride rest of the summer then work on carbs over winter. I am gonna have to put money into my bike for plastics so rather spend the money on the 900rrs carbs. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thx

hummm???? why is he trading you ride that thing first!!!!!!! 44,000 is not bad, but 16,000 on a f3 is great! your title is clean right, his is not? look for everthing!!!! I love those 900rr's there sweet ;-) but if you want it, get it just talk him down! with everthing you can find, look to see if he polished it to get rid of marks from it going down ect! point it out!
I would most likely trade the f3 for a 900rr

Last edited by tweezy666; 06-22-2013 at 12:13 PM.
post #3 of 35 Old 06-22-2013, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

He says its just way too much bike for him and he is afraid he is gonna kill himself on it.

Last edited by Novicoupe; 06-22-2013 at 3:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 06-24-2013, 11:28 AM

Reputation Power: 34

800$ for a carb tune, on a bike which starts and runs? Really?!

You can clean carbs up yourself for way less. Should cost around 10$ for a couple cans of cleaning spray and an afternoon without distractions. Easy.

Too much bike for a novice is a valid concern. A 900 will be way less forgiving of any clumsy riding than a 600.
post #5 of 35 Old 06-24-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Ok 1st $800 is to completely rebulid carbs. Not just tune em. He said bike cruises fine but when ya get on it, it runs little rough. Not a novice here. I had a 92 F2 for several yrs. when I was younger. I am 43 now and totally respect what one of these bikes is capable of and know what to expect from the bigger bike. I am 5'9" and a somewhat solid 225lbs so don't think the 900rr is gonna be too big for me. Here is the bike I am looking to trade for. (Really leaning towards it at this point. )

post #6 of 35 Old 06-24-2013, 1:04 PM

Still 800$ is crazy money. You could even get a whole set of gaskets most of which won't need replaced and come out with a whole lot of change. Or buy a set froma crashed bike for like $100 and just fit them or make a good set from both.
post #7 of 35 Old 06-24-2013, 7:07 PM Thread Starter

Yeah already found complete carb setups cheap on Ebay.
post #8 of 35 Old 06-24-2013, 10:17 PM

you have not got the bike yet??? just kidding, looks good thou!
post #9 of 35 Old 06-24-2013, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Going tomorrow. 900rr was in the shop getting new rectifer and they weren't open for him to get bike Sat. so we could do deal Sun. If all goes well should being riding it home around noon tomorrow.

Last edited by Novicoupe; 06-24-2013 at 10:35 PM.
post #10 of 35 Old 06-25-2013, 1:39 PM Thread Starter

Ok got bike today. And of course it didn't even make it home. UGH!! I swapped out his battery for my almost brand new AGM. Well its a 20min. ride home. Well got about 4 blocks from my house and thing puked out and died. Popped clutch and it fired again then died and wouldn't start as battery was pretty much dead. Had my son bring me a jump start box and fired right up and rode home. But he just goit it back from the shop with receipt that they put in new stator and rectifier????? WTF??
post #11 of 35 Old 06-25-2013, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novicoupe View Post
Ok got bike today. And of course it didn't even make it home. UGH!! I swapped out his battery for my almost brand new AGM. Well its a 20min. ride home. Well got about 4 blocks from my house and thing puked out and died. Popped clutch and it fired again then died and wouldn't start as battery was pretty much dead. Had my son bring me a jump start box and fired right up and rode home. But he just goit it back from the shop with receipt that they put in new stator and rectifier????? WTF??
that's kinda what I was afraid of! man, that sucks! so you knew it had charging issues??? that's one of the main issues with some of these bikes!

Last edited by tweezy666; 06-25-2013 at 7:58 PM.
post #12 of 35 Old 06-25-2013, 2:51 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

have the carbs done the rebuild is easy but the sync. is a pain. and you can find some one to do the for far less sounds like he had sucker writen on his forhead when he went in. pay close att. to the fork seals and head set. people like these for wheelie bikes and they take a pounding. I have an RRs and will not part with it. it is a great bike.
post #13 of 35 Old 06-25-2013, 2:55 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

this is a common prob. spend the extra $ and buy a rick's. the charging is the only issue I had with mine.
post #14 of 35 Old 06-25-2013, 3:51 PM

Go through and check the plugs all, the earths all, and the general condition of the wiring.

If needed you can get all the plugs you need to replace, or just hardwire with solder.

My preferred solution would be fit the regulator on the left side, run the shortest possible wire from the stator to the regulator direct into the plug, and replace the other two with a 30A fuse to the battery +ve, and a nice thick cable direct to the battery negative.

I'll get round to this on my own bike eventually, but it's one of those things that's tough to find motivation for while it's working.

Do the above work on known good components, and you eliminate the chance that any original wiring is melted or corroded and causing your issues. Hit it with the big hammer first, saves time and money in the end.

Consider a bigger, stronger regulator for example MOSFET kit off eBay, which have everything you need to wire up as I described.

Man I'm not surprised he wanted it gone. If you'd mentioned known or suspected electrical issues in the first post we'd have probably told you to walk away.
post #15 of 35 Old 06-25-2013, 7:13 PM Thread Starter

Well he had a receipt from where he just picked bike up this morning from cycle dealer( Yamaha though. LOL) that put brand new rectifier on the bike. I called and talked to tech who did the work. He filled me in on what he thought problem was and that bike needed work. I said I knew that. Well he told me bike was charging fine when it left but plug for rect. was gone and just had spade connectors hooking it up and he suggest getting new plug but check there 1st. Well one of the spade connectors did not get crimped well if at all and wire was almost completely out of it. So crimped new connector on and pretty sure that was problem. Gonna go to Honda shop tomorrow and get new correct rect. connector and solder wires then shrink wrap em and make sure its done right. Spent afternoon getting all the little bolts and nuts put on bike that it was missing . Then fixed shifter kinkage as it was messed up as shifter itself was way way lower than the one on my F3. SO took arm off and fixed it so lever sits where it should. Now only cpl concerns is when bike is running and clutch is not pulled back it sounds like motor has a knock. I am sure its in transmission as soon as I pull clutch lever it goes away just wondering what it can be. Hint Hint. What ya guys think it is? As far as carb deal goes bike runs pretty well and pulls hard but when yo are at higher rpms right before ya shift it boggs badly. But up until that it pulls hard. Throttle wheelies in 1 gear very easily. LOL Well thx for all the replkies and so far pretty happy, If anyone has any ides about carbs issue or the knocking sound when clutch lever is let out and bike is in N. Pl ease feel free to share. BTW. I only had $600 in the F3 I traded for the 900rr. SO fell I did alright.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page