Making headshake history - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-23-2013, 3:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Making headshake history

I've had two 954s and both have given me violent headshake in first through 3rd gear randomly. Its always under heavy acceleration. I know this is a common issue but really in first gear at times! I had a gsxr600 flat out in 6th on a road in Mexico and felt more confident than this cbr in first.

as far as steering dampners go i see gpr's on eBay for a good price is one worth over another?

Are there any tips as far as front tires, pressures, suspension settings, sag, etc that I can try to dial the violence out of it some?

Im 200lbs and never set up a street bike before. Ive set the sag and dialed in chassis/suspension on motocross bikes but never street.

Any help or tips is appreciated as other than the headshake I love the bike. But thats got to go. Its done it to me many times now. Once was enough for me. Getting headshake on dirt is one thing but street no thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-23-2013, 5:13 AM

Reputation Power: 36

Re: Making headshake history

Are your tires balanced?
post #3 of 6 Old 06-23-2013, 7:19 AM

The damper appears to be essential equipment on the 954. There are numerous threads where owners name it as the first upgrade priority. I also noticed that almost all 954's on the market have one installed. I have an Ohlins on the way.

I don't know how much suspension setup will help with the shakes, but it cant hurt to have it dialed. Your MX suspension setup experience will be helpful for your street setup, at least for setting the sag and understanding compression and rebound. Google sportbike suspension setup. There are lots of guides and tips out there. The stock compression and rebound settings to use as a starting point can be found in the shop manual or Internet search.

The front forks are under sprung, even for someone 35 lbs less than you. Getting the right springs in there for you will help the front end perform as it should.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-23-2013, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

My 954 is the same as yours. Brutal headshake sometimes under heavy throttle going straight, and coming out of turns. I believe a lot of the problem is me not putting enough weight on the front end. If the suspension squats and weight comes off the front tire the front is not going to have enough weight on it to have positive handling. I'm going to get a Scott's damper one of these days anyway, because I'm no pro.....but I definitely believe I'm at least 70% of the problem.

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
- Franklin D. Roosevelt
2002 954
post #5 of 6 Old 06-23-2013, 4:12 PM Thread Starter

Id agree with you that maybe its riding position related except I sit right against the tank really no way to get more weight forward. Under heavy acceleration in the lower gears the front is going to get light on any bike still shouldn't be like riding a damn rodeo bull though.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-23-2013, 4:29 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 270

Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540

I have had 3 954's over the years and put a steering dampner on them all as they all shook for me. In saying that it's not only the bike's fault as there are some rider's of 929's (Bladeracer) and 954's that never use them. I to believe it is mainly the riding style that sets them off.
I'd get a dampner, better to be safe than sorry.

I was young and stupid then. I'm old and stupid now.
We get too soon old, and too late smart.
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page